Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MathAudio Room EQ for Foobar2000 (Read 139140 times) previous topic - next topic
chr1 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: MathAudio Room EQ for Foobar2000

Reply #150
HI,
I installed mathaudio room eq: it sends lost of cracks in the speakers! (this is in room eq mode, with a calibration properly done). I tried with a second PC, and it's the same. Its very upsetting, because removing the component in foobar doesn't stop it. I had to remove foobar completely and re-install!!
any idea why?
thanks
Such cracks are theoretically possible on 'very' old computers if you use the "High resolution" mode in Room EQ. Try to use the "Normal resolution" mode instead. Try also to increase the buffer size in Foobar2000. If you remove Room EQ from Foobar's DSP panel, don't forget to click the "Apply" button to apply your changes. Room EQ cannot affect the performance of Foobar2000 if you removed the Room EQ component.

Reply #151
Hi K2K:

Can you please tell me, if the Room EQ software will only work through my laptop line audio and/or USB outputs?

I ask because I have a home-network based audio system. Far across the house is my file server. Over my in-home network, I share my music file folders to Foobar2000, which is running on a laptop in my listening room.  I use the BubbleUPnP plugin to turn a Chromecast Audio device into a UPnp/DLNA renderer. The digital output from the Chromecast Audio feeds a stand-alone DAC, which in turn feeds audio to my stereo amplifier.

The system works beautifully, is of very high audio quality (24/96), and I do not have to worry about having cables attached to my laptop.

I want to use the Room EQ software to improve my sound, but have read a few comments here that confuse me. Others are claiming that Room EQ + Foobar will NOT work over DLNA? Is this true for all situations? Or...is there a method you can please advise me to take in order to make Room EQ function together with my streaming setup?

Worst-case condition, I can get an active USB cable, take the Room EQ audio from my laptop USB port and run it 6 meters over to my DAC, eliminating the Chromecast Audio streaming part of my chain.

Any advice from you or others here on the forum is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,
Papi Chulo

Reply #152
Can you please tell me, if the Room EQ software will only work through my laptop line audio and/or USB outputs?
I ask because I have a home-network based audio system.
The problem of network based systems lies in the fact that they substantially delay the sound. This fact creates a problem for the Room EQ's measurement subsystem. If your DAC has a USB input, try to temporarily use a USB cable to measure your room. After that you should be able to use your network system exactly as you did it before.

Reply #153

If your DAC has a USB input, try to temporarily use a USB cable to measure your room. After that you should be able to use your network system exactly as you did it before.
[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I have a USB input on the DAC for measurement. This seems like a simple fix to my problem.

1) My measurement mic is a USB type. Will I be able to use it and the USB DAC simultaneously for measurement?

2) I guess I’ll need to install a driver for my USB DAC. Is there any particular one that you recommend? WASAPI, ASIO, etc?  I’m running Windows 10.

Thanks again!!!

Reply #154
1) My measurement mic is a USB type. Will I be able to use it and the USB DAC simultaneously for measurement?
2) I guess I’ll need to install a driver for my USB DAC. Is there any particular one that you recommend? WASAPI, ASIO, etc?  I’m running Windows 10.
Simply connect your USB microphone and your USB DAC to your PC. Then click the "In/Out" button on the Room EQ panel and select both these devices in the corresponding drop-lists. If your USB DAC is not present in the list of the available output devices, install a conventional Windows driver for your USB DAC (not ASIO).

Reply #155
@k2k : Hello, I see that has been released a new version 2.7.3.
However, on the official web site there is no Release Note or Change Log (and never was).
Do you know what's changed?
Regards, Andrea

Reply #156
News
New version released ( v2.7.3 ).
This update is our response to those users who asked us about the possibility of trying B&K and Harman target curves. Some explanations are given at the beginning of the Room EQ FAQ: https://mathaudio.com/room-eq-faq.htm

Reply #157
Is there a mic calibration file for the Neumann KM84 (Cardioid) or KM83 (Omni), and if so, where can I find them?

Reply #158
Is there a mic calibration file for the Neumann KM84 (Cardioid) or KM83 (Omni), and if so, where can I find them?
Both these mics are not good for the room measurement. You may want to look at this one (USB) or this one (phantom powered).

Reply #159
News
New version released ( v2.7.3 ).
This update is our response to those users who asked us about the possibility of trying B&K and Harman target curves. Some explanations are given at the beginning of the Room EQ FAQ: https://mathaudio.com/room-eq-faq.htm

@k2k : Hello K2K, thanks for the clarification, however I couldn't understand how then restore the default target curve in case the loaded one is not liked.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #160
@k2k : Hello K2K, thanks for the clarification, however I couldn't understand how then restore the default target curve in case the loaded one is not liked.
Regards, Andrea
Simply click the "Bright" button or the "Neutral" button.

Reply #161
Many thanks for your kind support. (:->)

Reply #162
News
New version released ( v2.7.4 ).
The new version includes a new graphical user interface.

Reply #163
Hello @k2k , thanks for the update.
Unfortunately on the official website there are no release notes... Do you know where can I get the "release notes"?
Reading the new documentation (very little) there are no more references to uploading of target curves.
Do you know if this last feature is still present or gone away?
Kind regards, Andrea

Reply #164
Hello @k2k , thanks for the update.
Unfortunately on the official website there are no release notes... Do you know where can I get the "release notes"?
Reading the new documentation (very little) there are no more references to uploading of target curves.
Do you know if this last feature is still present or gone away?
Kind regards, Andrea
Yes, this feature is still present. You can read about it at the beginning of the Room EQ FAQ: https://mathaudio.com/room-eq-faq.htm
We often publish some information about new releases on this forum.

Reply #165
Hello @k2k, many thanks for your prompt reply and for directing me to the Room EQ FAQ.
Kind regards, Andrea

Reply #166
News
New version released ( v2.7.5 ).
Minor improvements in GUI.

Reply #167
Hello @k2k, today I upgraded your component from the v2.7.1 to the last v2.7.5.
Very good to have now integrated the measuring options.

However, the Signal Output selection is limited and, in my opinion, has also a bug.

LIMITATION FOUND
As per attached screeshot, in my DSP Chain, your Room EQ is not the last component.
My last component is Thuneau Allocator (and it must be the last one). It is a X-over and phase arbitrator.
So, I need to inject your sweep signal into it, or, in other words, to have your Signal Out routed into it, simply following the DSP chain.

ASIO PROBLEM
I am using a professional MOTU 896mk3 DAC that makes use of the MOTU ASIO driver.
Well, even selecting any usable ASIO output, I cannot get any sweep out from within Foobar.

Instead everything is working as expected setting up an appropriate DAW project within Cantabile and using the VST2 demo plug-in.

Kind regards, Andrea

Reply #168
Hello @k2k, today I upgraded your component from the v2.7.1 to the last v2.7.5.
Very good to have now integrated the measuring options.
However, the Signal Output selection is limited and, in my opinion, has also a bug.
The measurement subsystem of the Foobar2000 version of Room EQ doesn't work with ASIO drivers. It works with conventional Windows drivers. As far as I understand your DAC includes such drivers and you can use them for measurement.

The Foobar2000 version of Room EQ cannot 'inject' the sweep sound to another Foobar2000 component. You can chain the Room EQ component with other Foobar2000 components for playback only, not for measurement.
The VST version of Room EQ can "inject" the sweep sound to another VST plug-in, but I don't know whether the Thuneau Allocator is available as a VST plug-in.

Reply #169
Hello @K2K, thanks for the details, I was unaware of this Foobar limitation.
So, I will keep going as in the past, using Cantabile and the VST demo version for measurement.
PS: Thuneau Allocator is a VST2 plug-in and I am using it within Foobar via the VST wrapper.
Kind regards, Andrea

Reply #170
Hello @k2k,
my audio system is all time playing at 24bit 96kHz and I have ESL loudspeaker capable (measured with REW) to play up to 30..35kHz.
Also my subwoofer systems can go down to approximately 15Hz.
So, my question is: is there any option to have Room EQ serving the range 15Hz to 35kHz?
Or, is it eventually possible to use REW to measure the response as wide as I want and then to load it into Room EQ?
Thanks and regards, Andrea

Reply #171
Hello @k2k,
my audio system is all time playing at 24bit 96kHz and I have ESL loudspeaker capable (measured with REW) to play up to 30..35kHz.
Also my subwoofer systems can go down to approximately 15Hz.
So, my question is: is there any option to have Room EQ serving the range 15Hz to 35kHz?
Or, is it eventually possible to use REW to measure the response as wide as I want and then to load it into Room EQ?
Thanks and regards, Andrea
Room EQ works in the audio frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz. Room EQ doesn't linearize the frequency response at infrasound and ultrasound frequencies.

Reply #172
Hello @k2k, I have another question for you: is there any option to read / open the .snr config file?
Is it possible to convert to any standard format file readable by REW?
I think it would be useful to have the option to manually modify specific response points.
Kind regards, Andrea

Reply #173
No, you cannot read the SNR file or use it in another EQ program.
You can easily modify any point of the target curve with your mouse:
left button - arbitrary points,
right button - straight lines,
mouse wheel - single point on one of the plots (left or right).

Reply #174
Hello @k2k, my intention is not to use the SNR file with other EQs.
I just would like to better have the control of what going on during the equalization.
I know the possibility of using the mouse ... but you should know that it has many limitation, low accuracy and practically no way to see exactly what I am doing where... I mean, I cannot dial in precise value I get from another computational model (this just for example).
I understand I am not the average user... I am now using Room EQ for "audio experiments" searching for improvements over my legacy DRC solution. To be honest, so far I didn't find out a really winning set-up. I mean, I found Room EQ an excellent tool, basically very fast to setup, but at the same time too limited for getting an absolute fine tuning that would allow it to win (get absolute better audio performance) against my legacy DRC.
Anyway, thanks so much for this Foobar component and all the best for your future developments.
Kind regards, Andrea