Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta (Read 73189 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #25
Does this mean foobar also writes to the itunescompilation flag if 'Various Artists' is set in the Album Artist field?

No. It was determined that even iTunes ignores its own flag if album artist is set.

Maybe this is not the correct place to ask, but at this moment my iPhone does not show compilation albums correctly (tagged with foobar with Various Artists as Album Artist). I never investigated and thought Apple just did not support it.
You say iTunes ignores the flag if Album Artist is set. However, this flag seems to indiocate there is some compilation album support. Do you know how to make my iPhone recognize my compilations tagged with foobar?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #26
Would you please add a switch to toggle between the old and the new mapping? The new one could be kept as a default. I dislike the idea of mapping TPE2 to “Album artist” and I would be more than happy if it can be avoided.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #27
Maybe this is not the correct place to ask, but at this moment my iPhone does not show compilation albums correctly (tagged with foobar with Various Artists as Album Artist). I never investigated and thought Apple just did not support it.

Apple uses the TPE2 tag field to group tracks as a compilation, as did a lot of other software players after that. This is why foobar stores album artist in the TPE2 field from now on. If you re-tag all your albums with an album artist tag using the new foobar release then your iPhone will happily group those tracks together.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #29
Awesome update.

Just wondering if it's possible to stop foobar2000 treating COMMENT ITUNSNORM as a main comment like Winamp and Audacious does?
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #30
Peter is planning on removing the AC/DC workaround and instead write different character in place of /. I'm against the change and have suggested him to not treat / as multivalue separator in ID3v2.3 artist field at all and allow it as is. Is anyone against that suggestion?

If a different character is written instead of / won't that create problems with last.fm, like this?

...such as?

I have a few collaborations, double albums and live albums with dates like dd/mm/yy. Also White Light/White Heat by The Velvet Underground.

Is there the option to stick with 2.4? I might just do that.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #31
if I understand correctly reading the posts above, the foobar2000 source code now has
Code: [Select]
if( _stricmp( artist_tag, "AC/DC" ) == 0 ) 
{
    //Treat this differently
}
else
{
    //Standard tag parsing behaviour
}
isn't that just..  wrong?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #32
Thanks for the improved tag compatibility

But could it be possible to add support for the @cprt atom (Copyright-Info) in MP4/M4A, too?
For the moment the atom ist ignored by foobar2000 and will be deleted if a tag is changed in foobar2000...

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #33
I just wrote a ID3v2.3 tag as Album Artist and I got this TXXX frame tag.

TXXX - "[BAND] BAND The Beach Boys"

I thought I was supposed to get TPE2 and not TXXX?

EDIT: I think I found my answer. I did not use "Reload" before amending the tag. Once I reloaded, the amended file is written as TPE2.
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #34
Would the following change to ID3v2.3 tag handling work for you people: allow '/' character be written and read as is unless there are spaces on both sides (' / '). Only in this case use it as a separator for multiple values.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #35
Would the following change to ID3v2.3 tag handling work for you people: allow '/' character be written and read as is unless there are spaces on both sides (' / '). Only in this case use it as a separator for multiple values.
Would that make ' / ' the real value separator instead of '/'?

I think the idea of not using '/' as value separator is better. Are there any other applications that properly support multivalue fields?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #36
I'm using foobar2k because I can write whatever I want in my tags and it is working as intended. If foobar now splits by the '/' character and messes up many artist names, I refuse to update.
Why would you even support something that is clearly wrong? Even if 99% of the players support this, it is still wrong. Why not simply split by 'NUL' or ' NUL ' ?

I support the TPE2 change though, because that is how it was intended by the ID3 standard and I always expected it to be that way.

Just let the user choose between 2.3 and 2.4.
The very act of observing, influences what happens.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #37
Maybe crazy idea like excluding artists by hand, but have you guys noticed that mainly slash in artist name is used only surrounded by upper letters?

[edit] Eh, just noticed De/Vision on the first page...
Anyhow, Case's idea seems neat to me (even space only at right side /or left side?)

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #38
Sollniss, No one said the user can not choose between 2.3 and 2.4. The default is now what is essentially an update to the previous advance option called compatibility mode. Select 2.4 if you want.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #39
Is there a noticeable performance impact when tagging MP3 files with this new version? I only ask because the old “compatibility mode” had a disclaimer suggesting that it was much slower than the ID3 2.4 setting. If so, I think I’ll stick with 2.4, as I have no need for my MP3s to play nice with iTunes or WMP.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #40
I think the idea of not using '/' as value separator is better. Are there any other applications that properly support multivalue fields?
MP3Tag but that's the only one i know
My opinion is the same: not using slash as seperator at all is a better idea. In foobar2000 you any way doesn't use "/" to set multiple tags.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #41
Is there a noticeable performance impact when tagging MP3 files with this new version? I only ask because the old “compatibility mode” had a disclaimer suggesting that it was much slower than the ID3 2.4 setting. If so, I think I’ll stick with 2.4, as I have no need for my MP3s to play nice with iTunes or WMP.

What disclaimer are you talking about?  I see nothing of the sort in my Foobar.  If you have not need for a 2.3 setting why bother to change?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #42
I support the TPE2 change though, because that is how it was intended by the ID3 standard and I always expected it to be that way.

You are plain wrong I'm afraid. It is not intended to be used as a grouping mechanism, it is intended to store band/orchestra/accompaniment/musician. An album artist could be one of those but does not have to be and often isn't. It is because of this that foobar has not used the TPE2 tag frame for this purpose so far.
Other players started abusing this tag frame due to the lack of something more suitable. Since there is no stopping it any more, foobar might as well go along. Unfortunate it may be for some, including me.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #43
If the goal is now to be compliant with other software, rather than compliance with the oft-ignored spec, can we also:

1) Change DATE and YEAR for mp3

2) Add ID3v2.3 support, at least reading, for TSOC (link) (COMPOSERSORTORDER is the equivalent in foobar2000 for mp4)

3) Separate iTunes comment frames out of the COMMENT tag.
For example, foobar2000 1.1 reads one of my mp3's COMMENT tags as
000010DB 00000FE7 00006A30 000063FD 00005449 00002834 000085E4 0000882E 0000B087 0001A624;  00000000 00000210 00000B34 0000000000524D3C 00000000 004A91CC 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000; 9D109A1A+318971+26+150+9219+17645+26818+44366+53995+64217+73008+82186+99496+119529+141059+154192+168
978+178100+186739+196170+205133+214224+223909+233181+242186+262226+280484+290704+310737; 3; 0; (the real COMMENT here)

According to mp3tag, that would be COMMENT ITUNNORM; COMMENT ITUNSMPB; COMMENT ITUNES_CDDB_1; COMMENT ITUNES_CDDB_TRACKNUBER; COMMENT ITUNPGAP; COMMENT.

I'm still on foobar 1.1 because I'm not happy with the media library monitoring changes introduced after 1.1.1 (with my configuration, program freezes the second Windows performs hard drive activity in my music folder), but I'd be more willing to start over on 1.1.6 if I get more functionality out of my metadata...

edit: using 1.1.6b1 in default UI, I am STILL having foobar freeze from hard drive activity.  I've removed all components except:
foo_input_alac 1.0.7
foo_burninate 3.0.3
foo_audioscrobbler 1.4.7
foo_chacon 3
foo_masstag 1.8.4
foo_playcount 2.1.9
foo_run 0.3.7
foo_texttools 1.0.5
The rest are grayed out (albumlist, cdda, converter, ui_std, fileops, core, rgscan, dsp_std, input_std, unpack).

I guess my next course of action is to rebuild everything from scratch...

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #44
Apple uses the TPE2 tag field to group tracks as a compilation, as did a lot of other software players after that. This is why foobar stores album artist in the TPE2 field from now on. If you re-tag all your albums with an album artist tag using the new foobar release then your iPhone will happily group those tracks together.

From what I am reading, the "Album Artist" is being considered redundant, and TPE2, whatever that is, will take it's place. Couldn't TPE2 just be added as another alias for "Album Artist" in foobar?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #45
From what I am reading, the "Album Artist" is being considered redundant, and TPE2, whatever that is, will take it's place.

A couple things here: Because of id3 we're dealing with 3 levels of obfuscation:
1) The value
2) The Frame that value is stored in.
3) The Label which a program refers to that frame.

So with previous versions of foobar2000:
Value: Various Artists (or some other user inputted string)
Frame: TXXX:Album Artist
fb2k label: Album Artist

and also:
Frame: TPE2
fb2k label: Band

With this Beta and versions going forward:
Values: Various Artists (or some other user inputted string)
Frame: TPE2
fb2k label: Album Artist

and also:
Frame: TXXX:Band
fb2k label: Band

This new behavior is more similar to other programs which use the label Album Artist for the TPE2 frame.

Couldn't TPE2 just be added as another alias for "Album Artist" in foobar?
You mean as part of the title formatting field remapping? Perhaps that would help in some situations, but that still doesn't mean most other programs could properly read the tags fb2k writes.
elevatorladylevitateme

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #47
Couldn't TPE2 just be added as another alias for "Album Artist" in foobar?
You mean as part of the title formatting field remapping? Perhaps that would help in some situations, but that still doesn't mean most other programs could properly read the tags fb2k writes.

Well, the whole issue is no biggie for me as I don't see much changing concerning the input mask. Compatibility is always good, the most important thing is that no matter how the child is called it will always be linked to the correct parents, figuratively speaking. Using the input mask, i.e. properties dialog, to fill in either "Band" or "Album Artist" will make little practical from a usability point of view, I guess. So %album_artist% will keep working but really return %band%?

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #48
If the goal now is to improve tagging compatibility with WMP and iTunes, then I second the request not to treat the tag "COMMENT ITUNNORM" as a normal comment. This is important for people who use iTunes' Sound Check feature.

foobar2000 v1.1.6 beta

Reply #49

- allow '/' character be written and read
- made option in preferences for user selected  separator , for exemple ' / '
Music is my first love.