Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DAC/AMP or Switch for Desk Setup? (Read 1173 times) previous topic - next topic

DAC/AMP or Switch for Desk Setup?

Hi all!

Thankfully read some forum topics here and articles by NwAvGuy before buying overly expensive audio equipment. Now that I can tell the difference between subjective and objective (quite a low bar I passed...) and the fact that I can stop worrying about sound stage and what not, I would like some help on a practical setup.

I currently run my AKG K7xx right off my ASUS Z97M Plus motherboard (Realtek ALC887). Sound and volume levels seem fine to me as I only need to crank it up to about 50% in Windows. I would also like to hook up some video game consoles (PS4 and Xbox One) in a way so that I can use my headphones and easily switch between the 3.

Do I need a DAC/AMP for this or is there a simple switch out there that will do the job? Based on some other threads detailing some of the math, it doesn't seem like the K7xx's are too hard to drive (62 Ohms and 105 dB/V).

Thank you for your help!

Re: DAC/AMP or Switch for Desk Setup?

Reply #1
A little searching turned-up this and this.

Another option would be a small mixer.     Most mixers have a headphone output (and you can use a headphone signal as a line-input), but most mixers have (pannable) mono inputs, so you'd have to adjust two knobs/sliders to turn one source down and two more knobs/sliders to turn another source up.    (Or, you might be able to leave all of the sources turned-up as long as more than once source isn't playing at once, and as long as the turned-off sources aren't generating electrical noise.)

Do I need a DAC/AMP for this or is there a simple switch out there that will do the job? Based on some other threads detailing some of the math, it doesn't seem like the K7xx's are too hard to drive (62 Ohms and 105 dB/V).
You said you have plenty of volume from your computer.   Have you tried them with the gaming systems?

Re: DAC/AMP or Switch for Desk Setup?

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply DVDdoug!

PS4 and Xbox One on their way and I should definitely try my headphone on them when they arrive. I only recall that years ago, I was using an RCA-to-3.5mm adapter on my PS3 with my K701's and the volume levels were very weak.

Good to know that there are some affordable alternatives to a Schiit Magni/Modi combo or an Astro Mixamp setup.