Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows kmixer (Read 1928 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows kmixer

Hi,

I recently saw in another post:

BTW, unless you go through ASIO, all audio passes through kmixer.dll, and if it needs to be resampled, the best settings has a 85dB SNR limit. How's that for audiophile grade playback? No amount of lossless compression will fix that. However, an ASIO 2.0 compatible soundcard with 16/44.1 support will when played back using an ASIO output plugin for Winamp. Since you are an "audiophile" you need to consider these things and using Digital out will not bypass kmixer.dll.

I wonder how much of this is true? How much audio goes through kmixer.dll no matter what?

If I'm playing an mp3 or wav @ 44.1khz will it suffer quality loss because of kmixer? I have read numerous other threads about this and I thought there was only loss when there were multiple streams being played or when the streams have to be resampled?

If I want to hear "bit-perfect" audio (e.g via my soundcards optical output) is it good enough if the music I'm listening to is the only audio stream playing, or is it necessary to use ASIO in any case?

Thanks,
-dave