Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Waiting for new Matroska (Read 34091 times) previous topic - next topic

Waiting for new Matroska

I am waiting anxiously for the new Matroska to be launched and take the advice not to use old one because files would have to be repackaged (or whatever the right term is)
But I have access to some CD's in meantime and would like to know if it would be Ok just to rip them to Flac + Cue files and leave them for Matroska update. Or is there a change to the Flac side of things as well?

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #1
If you're going to be ripping to a lossless format there'll be no problem re-encoding at a later date to whatever format you desire. Lossless = no loss.
daefeatures.co.uk

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #2
Only the Matroska part is going to change. I personally ripped over 50 FLAC + CUE files last month in preparation for the new MKVtoolNIX. I used Goldenear's mkaenc from EAC and just quit the program when it started making the matroska file.

Basically, the Matroska team doesn't have any control over either FLAC or CUE, so it's quite safe to encode them now and mux them later.

To the Matroska team: any word on MKVtoolNIX 0.9.5? I haven't heard anything lately.
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - Vroomfondel, H2G2

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #3
In Goldears first tutorial for ripping to matroska http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=23019&hl=
he uses command line

--best -V %s -T Artist="%a" -T Album="%g" -T Date="%Y" -T Genre="%m"

in his second http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=23617
where he instructs EAC to directly create a matroska audio file from EAC.
he uses command line

-i %s -s "%o" -y "%Y" -g "%m" -m -f
I know I must be missing something, can someone explain why they are so different?

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #4
Goldenear is in vacation right now, so we'll probably wait until he comes back before we release the whole thing. Mkvtoolnix 0.9.5 will be released when the new Matroska Pack is available (hopefully very soon) because some changes have revealed bugs in older filters.

It's very safe to rip to whatever codec you like and keep the .CUE file handy.

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #5
In Goldears first tutorial for ripping to matroska http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....topic=23019&hl=
he uses command line

--best -V %s -T Artist="%a" -T Album="%g" -T Date="%Y" -T Genre="%m"

in his second http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=23617
where he instructs EAC to directly create a matroska audio file from EAC.
he uses command line

-i %s -s "%o" -y "%Y" -g "%m" -m -f
I know I must be missing something, can someone explain why they are so different?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235331"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The first is the command line for flac.exe, and the second is for his mkaenc.exe program. Mkaenc is sort of a "wrapper" for the actual encoder (by default flac), so it has its own set of parameters. The command lines are really:

flac.exe --best -V %s -T Artist="%a" -T Album="%g" -T Date="%Y" -T Genre="%m"
mkaenc.exe -i %s -s "%o" -y "%Y" -g "%m" -m -f

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']edit: spelling[/span]

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #6
I just noticed on the doom9 forum that MKVtoolNIX 0.9.5 is out. This is the one that everybody's been telling you to wait for. You can get it at mosu's page.

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #7
Goldenear also said that he had the next mkaenc ready, so we should also get that soon (-:

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #8
What about stronger lossless codec. For now only flac is fully working. TTA(in MKA) a little better doesnt play in foobar2000. Wavpack comparable to TTA is waiting for support. And sadly many people were waiting for Monkey's Audio but it looks like it will not get here any time soon... just waiting...

Regards
Lobuz

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #9
TTA is working fine in DShow. You can bug the fb2k developers if there is a problem there.

Wavpack is definitely planned, but because of the hybrid possibility it will take a little more time. And Mosu wants to freeze the features of mkvtoolnix for now. So it will take a little more time than expected.

For Monkey Audio, as long as they provide us with a free-to-use code to parse their files or documentation of the format, we'll do it.

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #10
TTA(in MKA) a little better doesnt play in foobar2000.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's because the default TTA plugin doesn't have a packet decoder.
I have a modified unofficial version though :

[a href="http://www.matroska.org/~toff/foo_tta_with_packet_decoder.rar]foo_tta with packet decoder (binary)[/url]
foo_tta with packet decoder (sources)

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #11
For Monkey Audio, as long as they provide us with a free-to-use code to parse their files or documentation of the format, we'll do it.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seems the only way to get permissions, replies or anything else from Ashland is to post a request at his forums, like e.g. [a href="http://www.monkeysaudio.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Developers;action=display;num=1084646044]here[/url].
Would have been nice with Monkey support in Matroska, too.   

"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #12
Then post on his forum.

We (Matroska) have been so many times accused of pimping the format everywhere that it's better if the demand comes from users. (and many of them)

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #13
TTA(in MKA) a little better doesnt play in foobar2000.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's because the default TTA plugin doesn't have a packet decoder.
I have a modified unofficial version though :

[a href="http://www.matroska.org/~toff/foo_tta_with_packet_decoder.rar]foo_tta with packet decoder (binary)[/url]
foo_tta with packet decoder (sources)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=236267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Toff, I'm afraid your version doesn't work properly if MKA is muxed by MKVmerge >= 0.95, probably because of that 64-bit new feature. Is there a new version of foo_tta that supports new MKA? I did search but couldnt find it. tyia

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #15
I did some more tests and, this seems to be a problem of foo_matroska, not of foo_tta, because the same happens with FLAC in MKA

if mkvmerge == 0.94, both
mkvmerge -o flac.mka CDImage.flac --chapters CDImage.cue
and
mkvmerge -o tta.mka CDImage.tta --chapters CDImage.cue
work fine. Chapters do work nicely.

The same commands generate files that is not seekable peroperly on fb2k if mkvmerge >= 0.95. Chapters dont work properly either. And the output in the status bar is weird too:

examples
v0.94 (this is normal)
MKA 952kbps 44100Hz stereo o 4:09 / 4:24

v0.95 (Weird)
MKA 21Kbps (953Kbps) 44100Hz stereo o 4:29 / 4:24

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #16
Which version of foo_matroska are you using? I found 0.8.0 on this thread which I've used to play my FLAC/matroskas back. It's not gapless (which is really weird...) but everything else seems to work. Try it with TTA; it might fix stuff.

All that being said, I haven't heard if Toff is still working on foo_matroska lately. It doesn't handle the new tag format properly. I worry that it may be left stagnant for a while...

Waiting for new Matroska

Reply #17
Which version of foo_matroska are you using? I found 0.8.0 on this thread which I've used to play my FLAC/matroskas back. It's not gapless (which is really weird...) but everything else seems to work. Try it with TTA; it might fix stuff.

All that being said, I haven't heard if Toff is still working on foo_matroska lately. It doesn't handle the new tag format properly. I worry that it may be left stagnant for a while...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248968"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the info  That version (August 2004) does fix my problem; yes.. altho I read those bug reports in that thread, seekability/chapters are more important for me at least for now, so im going to use the new one.
I was using the default foo_matroska (July 2004) before.

So that default version doesnt support 64-bit type??
Well, imho, it'd be pointless if there is not a new stable foo_matroska w 64bit type support, because that 64-bit thingy is mainly for MKA (audio) support...