Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RMAA iriver vs Cowon (Read 25362 times) previous topic - next topic

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #50
Saying that different mp3 players can sound different is in no way analogous to claiming a low bitrate lossy track sounds different to a lossless track.  I don't understand that particular point, but never mind.
No I won't never mind on this matter.  You raised an example of exaggerated sound quality differences and I gave you an answer.  That one example is an encoder and the other is hardware is irrelevant since both are subject to TOS #8.

dfkt at anythingbutipod tested Player A.  Its frequency response is nowhere near as flat as other players.  He can also ABX Player A, as can several other people.  He also mentions several times that in subjective listening he perceives that the treble rolls off.  Different mp3 players can sound different.
I already told you this part was ok.  Why are you repeating it?

As far as I can tell you're using the TOS8 just to bash me because you don't like me, and it wouldn't be the first time that you've hit me with bullying tactics and an official warning simply out of spite.

It is readily obvious that what you're really saying here is "I cannot win this argument on the merits so I will whine that the game is rigged".

You made a personal claim of audible differences between specific pieces of hardware that you own which go beyond those which people contesting your claims concede (noises when changing tracks, pressing pause, etc.)  You are being asked to provide objective evidence to substantiate this claim in accordance with TOS #8.  That you could be right does not meet the requirement.

My use of the words personal and specific is intentional.  This isn't about players you've never heard or anything else you can conjure as a means to evade or obfuscate.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #51
Takla - Do people prefer certain players only in a sighted test?  If so, that's placebo.

Same with the Hifiman vs other players.  Do people prefer the Hifiman only in sighted tests?  It's easy to say player X and player Y measure differently and and I prefer X.  If you really did prefer X then you would prefer it in a blind test as well.

Nobody is saying all players sound the same if measurements are different.  If you read back, people pointed out the bass roll off from the Cowon would be audible, but not very much so.

I don't know the circumstances in which people prefer the player.  I'm not one of those who has a preference.  I've never head it.  I have no plan to hear it, try it or buy it.  I don't care if the company who makes it disappears tomorrow or is the next IBM.  I'm saying that when there is a product that has both a measurable and an ABX'able difference to other players then one can't very well assume people are mistaken if they perceive a difference and form a preference.  Where the hardware measures much the same and nobody can ABX it then it's fair enough to assume any preference claimed on sound quality is unfounded.

The big fuss about this player is because it's being marketed to "audiophiles" and they are notoriously reason averse.  One interesting thing about the frequency response of the player is that the manufacturer is obviously and overtly trying to mimic the response of some of the extremely expensive Wadia players and/or those 1st generation CD players (he even says so) which had noticeable treble roll off.  Those kinds of players in turn are to some degree trying to mimic the type of sound associated with vinyl.  He's trying to make a player that "audiophiles" will find sounds more similar to their expensive home audio than most other players do.    Lots of people have said "Why not just use EQ?" but of course a true "audiophile" will never put an equaliser in the middle of the signal path!  So the manufacturer is actually being very intelligent; he knows his market and their idols and icons and tastes and prejudices and he has produced a player that fits that profile beautifully.  It sounds like his customers want it to sound.  They almost never hear the full range of higher frequencies so he has given them a player which won't surprise them.  It looks like his customers want it to look, as utilitarian as their turntables and hulking amplifiers.  It has the right features...very little useful extra features accompanied by a short battery life which brings with it the aura of specialness and rarity :-) 

There are lots of reasons why some people will like that player.  That's their freedom.  We can laugh and wonder but what we can't legitimately do is say they are stupid or wrong to prefer it, or wrong to prefer their vinyl collection over their CDs.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #52
It may well be that the hifiaman is a really poor value and low grade product, but the people making claims about its sound quality without ever actually hearing it are not being objective.
I agree.

On the one hand people are claiming that the sound sucks because the measurements are not as good as other players.
This is unacceptable.

But  people are also claiming that measurements don't translate to audible differences
DBT must be used to determine if measured differences translate into audible differences.

but that the player sounds bad.  And that it can't be ABX'd  but that it sounds worse than the players from which it can't be distinguished.  None of this is rational or objective.  It is reactionary and more closely resembles religion than science.
I agree.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #53
You made a personal claim of audible differences between specific pieces of hardware that you own which go beyond those which people contesting your claims concede (noises when changing tracks, pressing pause, etc.)  You are being asked to provide objective evidence to substantiate this claim in accordance with TOS #8.  That you could be right does not meet the requirement.

My use of the words personal and specific is intentional.  This isn't about players you've never heard or anything else you can conjure as a means to evade or obfuscate.

The point I wanted to make is the important thing, not the illustration.  That's done.  Hardware can sound different.  Sometimes it does.  Demonstrated and Proven.  A_freaking_mazing. 

Proving the exact same point over again is totally pointless and proves nothing except you have the power to make me do it or else.  So I'll take the or else and you can work out your personal issues on someone else.  Go ahead and ban/delete/warn me and then you can get on with bullying some other sap who you took a dislike to.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #54
You asked me about which point I had an issue and then proceeded to childishly defend everything but that point.

EDIT:
That your claim was only ancillary to the overall point you were trying to make does excuse the fact that it is in violation of one of our rules.

Have I made myself clear?

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #55
You asked me about which point I had an issue and then proceeded to childishly defend everything but that point.

If I had made a new thread "Hey folks my Player A sounds better than my Player B" fair enough.  It should be supported with data derived from repeatable method.  But I didn't.  I just tried to anecdotally illustrate a point, actually two points:

a) not all mp3 players sound the same
b) the hardware with the best measurements isn't necessarily the one people might prefer.

Neither point is even slightly contentious, but people had been taking irrational and polarised positions so it was worth stating those points explicitly.

You didn't choose to add anything to the debate about the hifiman.  You used the TOS not to maintain the board's preference/requirement for reason but to bash and disrupt someone who was actually bringing some clarity and reason into a debate that had been characterised by numerous clearly contradictory and false claims about a product none of the protaganists had ever tried.  You really hit the right target there didn't you?

You can call me childish, I couldn't care less.  But we all know that any 4 year old would just love the ability to edit everything they ever said, delete the stuff other people said that they don't like, privately penalise people and threaten them with sanctions if they complain.  If I'm childish at least it's not my full time occupation.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #56
I suppose my previous post should have been in green.  I am trying to avoid a drawn out argument over subjective statements about sound quality.

Until vpa is ready to produce objective evidence let the dead dog lie.

If you have any idea how to messure the difference, I will do.

Generally the way to determine if a device has high frequency roll off is to record the output and measure the high frequencies in it.  However, I've already provided these results (and can provide more if you like) showing that there is no high frequency roll off using this method.  So i think you would have to provide evidence that everyone else who has measured this somehow did it incorrectly.  Theres no obvious way to do this because most likely there is no high frequency roll off and you are simply mistaken.

I'm an musican, I notice the difference

You notice something, but theres overwhelming evidence that you are incorrect about what it is.  I suggest double checking your observations to see if you can reconcile them with measurements, preferably using a double blind test (e.g. recording the output of the device and using foobar's ABX tool to compare it to a lossless copy of the same sample).

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #57
If I had made a new thread "Hey folks my Player A sounds better than my Player B" fair enough.  It should be supported with data derived from repeatable method.  But I didn't.  I just tried to anecdotally illustrate a point
You don't have to create a new thread in order to violate TOS #8.  TOS #8 does not make exceptions for anecdotes.  In fact, TOS #8 is here in order to prevent anecdotes.

You didn't choose to add anything to the debate about the hifiman.
So? 

You used the TOS not to maintain the board's preference/requirement for reason but to bash and disrupt someone who was actually bringing some clarity and reason into a debate that had been characterised by numerous clearly contradictory and false claims about a product none of the protaganists had ever tried.
Nonsense.  People have been making unsubstantiated claims about sound quality even after my reminding them that it is forbidden.  Are you butt-hurt because I may have missed one or two?  Perhaps I just haven't gotten around to it because I decided to deal with a member who was being disrespectful.

You can call me childish, I couldn't care less.  But we all know that any 4 year old would just love the ability to edit everything they ever said, delete the stuff other people said that they don't like, privately penalise people and threaten them with sanctions if they complain.  If I'm childish at least it's not my full time occupation.
I guess a 4-year-old would love to be a moderator here and I'm guessing you think one would do a better job than me.

Do you have anything else to whine about?

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #58

If I had made a new thread "Hey folks my Player A sounds better than my Player B" fair enough.  It should be supported with data derived from repeatable method.  But I didn't.  I just tried to anecdotally illustrate a point, actually two points:

a) not all mp3 players sound the same
b) the hardware with the best measurements isn't necessarily the one people might prefer.

Neither point is even slightly contentious, but people had been taking irrational and polarised positions so it was worth stating those points explicitly.

Additionally neither point is even slightly interesting, relevant, nor worth making.  If this is the extent of your contribution, then you're probably better off not contributing until you can come up with something actually worth saying. 

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #59
If this is the extent of your contribution, then you're probably better off not contributing until you can come up with something actually worth saying.

No, that isn't the extent of my contribution.  Meanwhile your contribution is to very obviously not have read the thread but still feel qualified to wade in and offer some unfounded specualation comprising of a couple of snide remarks.  You've really raised the bar there.  Well done.  And don't forget,  I'm the one being childish...

Is this hydrogenaudio, the home of audio reason, or did I by mistake wander into the groupthink playpen?

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #60
Greynol and Saratoga, you have utterly destroyed this thread.  Greynol you ignored multiple flagrant and ridiculous TOS violations until you saw one that was completely innocuous but by someone you like to bully.  You've trampled all over and disrupted what was becoming a reasonable exchange, a constructive conversation.  Having your friend Saratoga join in with some truly thick headed insult doesn't make you look any better.  Your moderation simply stinks.  You tolerate any abuse by your buddies and by people who are intimidated by you.  Meanwhile you are rude, obnoxious, bullying, inflexible, dogmatic, demeaning and aggressive towards people who you don't like, a group which seems to include anybody who ever disagreed with you or forgot to kiss your ass.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #62
I suppose there's no possibility that you might actually be wrong or even guilty of the very things you're accusing others of doing. 

For a member without moderation rights it's very hard to throw one's weight around because one is essentially weightless.  I'm not in a position to wade into a thread and insist and demand and threaten on the one hand, or ignore, allow, encourage on the other.  Which makes it actually impossible to do what you do, even if I'd like to (I wouldn't).

So other people can read the thread and make up their own minds on who did what and why (depending on the use of the magic edit and delete buttons).

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #63
Having your friend Saratoga join in with some truly thick headed insult doesn't make you look any better.

Actually, I was posting in this thread before you, and if you took the time to read this thread, you'd see that I have the most contributions to it, both in terms of actual data and analysis.  No one called me in, I was already here, and I'm annoyed that you're ruining a good thread by being so willfully ignorant.  If you're not interested in learning, I suggest you leave.  Trying to grief other people here isn't going to work, the rest of us our grown adults

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #64
So other people can read the thread and make up their own minds on who did what and why (depending on the use of the magic edit and delete buttons).

If you look bad it can only be because of the magic edit and delete buttons. 

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #65
There are lots of reasons why some people will like that player.  That's their freedom.  We can laugh and wonder but what we can't legitimately do is say they are stupid or wrong to prefer it, or wrong to prefer their vinyl collection over their CDs.

People don't just say "I prefer X player."  They say "I prefer X player because it sounds better than other players."  In that case their preference can be tested in a blind test.  If they won't submit to a blind test I won't take any claims about the sonic superiority of X player seriously.

Same with Vinyl vs CD.  If somebody says "I like the whole experience of Vinyl" I have no disagreement with them.  But if somebody says "I prefer Vinyl sound to digital files" they can demonstrate that in a controlled test.

People can prefer whatever they want for whatever reasons they want.  At the same time, they should have some solid evidence to support claims about audible preferences.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #66
@Takla

I can remember a time on HA when quite astounding claims to hear differences were met with polite and patient explanations that it was very easy to suffer illusions about what one could and could not hear, and that DBT was a way to avoid such illusions.

In those days, also, there were real differences between lossy encoders, and public tests at 128kbps attracted a lot of sharp-eared  participants. There were also occasional jokes.

Perhaps it's because the raison d'etre of HA has almost vanished with the improvement of encoders and the growth of storage size, that the atmosphere now is of a rather aggressive seminar in which participants are graded on how acceptable or not their posts are.

I suggest we just move on.

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #67
I'm not sure it's possible to say that "the SQ sucks" unless one has heard it.

If you read the whole ABI thread, dkft has a very good idea to make a ABX test, and nearly nobody can ear a big difference with other players.
So for a 800$ player with such a bad interface and battery life (what could be accepotable if the sound was incredibly wonderful compared to any other player), yes, the sound sucks !

I don't see that battery life is a factor in sound quality.  Nor is the interface.  Obviously it's a big issue in choosing a player, but try as I might I can't hear the difference when my player has 10 hours left and when it has 10 minutes.  And when I change theme (interface) on my rockboxed players they don't sound any different.

I wasn't claiming that the sound is good, bad or indifferent.  I'm saying I can't tell because I didn't hear it, and also that I know that the player with the best measurements is not always the one whose sound is preferred.  That's because a preference arises from individual taste, expectation, perception and so on and is not related in a direct linear manner to the numbers.  We all know that a CD can offer a more faithful record than a vinyl LP but what we can't do is tell someone they are wrong to prefer one or the other.  We can call people out if they can only assess sound quality by seeing the hardware, but where there is a difference between two items we can't tell someone they are right or wrong to prefer one or the other.

If people can't ABX Player A from Players B,C & D how is it possible to claim "the sound sucks!" for Player A while maintaining that the others sound great?

Again I'm not advocating this player (I've never seen or heard it) but I'm at least as suspicious of people who can say it sounds bad without hearing it as I am of audiofools who hear differences between 1 metre lengths of coax.  The fact that someone brought up placebo despite there being measurable differences (and several people able to ABX the player) shows me that one doesn't have to be an audifool to be irrational and reactionary.  Simply assuming oneself to be objective doesn't make it so.

What I mean is just that it could be acceptable to sacrify everything but the SQ for that price.
I don't say the sound sucks in an absolute way, I just say it sucks in front of what is promised :
The marketing pitch of this player is "We put everyhting on the sound quality, so if you buy our very expensive player, you'll have a poor battery lifetime, a poor interface, a poor usability BUT the sound is absolutely wonderfull"
And the result is nobody is able to ABX this player in front of a 50$ player or even a 100$ player...

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #68
... And TOS #8 makes this website very interesting, avoiding stupid threads like x is the best, Y is the best.
Look on head-fi or iaudiophile the number of thread asking which player has the best SQ. And each time the thread has no value because it only like:

X is the best
Y the best
X is the best
Y the best

and arguments are always very poor like
"a friend of mine told me that..."
"I know a guy who..."

(Each time it makes me thinking of "ALI G" when they say
"East side is the best"
"No, west side is the best"
"No, east side is the best"
"No, west side is da best" 

)

RMAA iriver vs Cowon

Reply #69
What I mean is just that it could be acceptable to sacrify everything but the SQ for that price.
I don't say the sound sucks in an absolute way, I just say it sucks in front of what is promised :
The marketing pitch of this player is "We put everyhting on the sound quality, so if you buy our very expensive player, you'll have a poor battery lifetime, a poor interface, a poor usability BUT the sound is absolutely wonderfull"
And the result is nobody is able to ABX this player in front of a 50$ player or even a 100$ player...

Well it seems that people could ABX it.  There was a thread on another forum where dfkt recorded some samples from different players and provided the original file.  Some people were able to ABX this particular player, especially once they knew about the HF rolloff. 

But, as Takla pointed out, the same effect could be achieved with an EQ and at the end of the day it's just marketing to people with a certain philosophy.