Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: new foo_midi and foo_ac3 "Failed to load" (Read 3315 times) previous topic - next topic

new foo_midi and foo_ac3 "Failed to load"

I updated two components today, foo_midi and foo_ac3. Both the new versions fail to load, with the error message,

"Failed to load DLL: foo_midi.dll
Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000."

This happened on two of the four computers in my house, all of them running FB2K version 1.3.17, one computer running Windows 7 32-bit and the other running Wine on Linux Mint. I'm avoiding updating the other computers until I know what's going on.

I notice that both components are made by kode54. The ac3 component is brand new as of today (ver 0.9.9), but the MIDI component (ver 2.0.21) has been out for a couple of weeks, so I'm surprised not to see any mention of a general problem.

I fixed the problem on one computer by copying the component folder from a non-updated computer to the broken one and I guess I'll do that to the other one, too.

So, has anyone else noticed a problem with these components? Does anyone know what, if any "required dependency" is missing? Where can I get the installation files for the previous version of these components?

Re: new foo_midi and foo_ac3 "Failed to load"

Reply #2
They require either foobar2000 1.4 or installed MSVC redistributable: https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/VC_redist.x86.exe

OK, that's good to know. It contradicts the component's pages, both of which say it "works with foobar2000 v1.3 and newer". This is the first time in all my many years of use that I've been offered a component update that doesn't work on the version I'm using. I mistakenly assumed there was some some version-checking logic in the update mechanism. I guess I've just been lucky and I should be a lot more careful in the future. I'll wait for version 1.4 before I update anything else and be sure to make a backup first.

Thanks for your help.

Reply #3
They will work with foobar2000 1.3, but in this case they require installed MSVS redistributable.

Reply #4
They will work with foobar2000 1.3, but in this case they require installed MSVS redistributable.

I guess that's technically true, but I think it would be more accurate to say that "it can be made to work with 1.3 IF...". The average system may not have the right version, if any, of the MSVS package. None of my computers here have anything newer than MSVS 2015, which apparently isn't good enough (though I haven't checked my lone Windows 10 computer yet.) It would be helpful if there was a warning before installing and/or a notice on the Component's web page with a notice of that requirement. I'm able to wriggle my way out of this kind of situation, but the typical user probably isn't.