Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Discussion thread for foosic.org (Read 155267 times) previous topic - next topic

Discussion thread for foosic.org

General discussion thread for both http://www.foosic.org and the foo_sic.dll-client

In this thread everyone who uses foosic should post wishes and bugreports regarding the homepage, the plugin or the concept.

To-Do:

News:
- 16.07.2006: foo_sic 1.0 beta 9 was released

Reply #1
Viewing the "Now playing"-section on foosic.org I saw a song from "???" named "????" (link)

I'm not sure, wether this comes of a mistagged song, or if there indeed exists a band named "???". If not I think such entries should not be transmitted to the foosic database?!

What do the authors think?

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']moderation: Link destroyed layout due to being so long; converted to [ url ].[/span]

Reply #3
Viewing the "Now playing"-section on foosic.org I saw a song from "???" named "????" (link)
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=371510"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I see asian characters. Maybe you should change your browsers default font to a font, which can display these.

Edit: Toooo slow... 

Reply #4
Thanks you two. I missed an checkbox in the windowssettings!

Reply #5
Is it possible to have foosic eat up music STYLE data, on top of GENRE data, and stack the two / interpret to have more thorough categories of genre?  Most of my music (and my friends') is sorted this way (EG : Genre : Rock / Style : Punk Rock)

Reply #6
Well, Shade, your organizational format diverges from mine. I use multiple GENRE fields, with successive fields indicating increasing specificity. For example, some files are:

GENRE=Electronic
GENRE=Techno
GENRE=Acid

...and if I were really hardcore, there are tracks that I could likely add a

GENRE=Hard

to.

I've been reconsidering switching over to a STYLE-based format, but I really doubt it at this point. I've more unsorted music than sorted music right now. So, you see, tagging systems are often as unique as users, and most fb2k plugins allow for configuration of how the tag data is used to accommodate this.

Edit: tyopos

Reply #7
So is this a simple community-oriented "what I'm playing" kind of database, an informational database like freeDB, or something else? Both maybe? Cool idea anyways, I like how every song I play gets added to the db along with my playcount data.

Oh, and if it is intended as a sort of music database, why not have an option to upload your entire foobar db to the site?

Reply #8
Looking into my last played songs I clicked on "Part Of Me" from "Linkin Park" (http://foosic.org/query_song.php?title=Part+Of+Me&artist=Linkin+Park). Title, Genre, Length, Playcount are empty though my file is properly tagged (OGG). Any ideas? Other songs show the information..

edit:
TITLE = Part Of Me
ARTIST = Linkin Park
ALBUM = Splitting the DNA - CD1
DATE = 1999
GENRE = Rock
TRACKNUMBER = 6
ENSEMBLE = Linkin Park
PLAY_DATE = 090505
PLAY_TIME = 173820
PLAY_COUNTER = 2

May be it's because of the Album beeing "Splitting the DNA"? The same is for example for http://foosic.org/query_song.php?title=Esa...ist=Linkin+Park it's from the same album:
TITLE = Esaul (Demo)
ARTIST = Linkin Park
ALBUM = Splitting the DNA - CD1
DATE = 1999
GENRE = Rock
TRACKNUMBER = 7
ENSEMBLE = Linkin Park
PLAY_DATE = 090505
PLAY_TIME = 174544
PLAY_COUNTER = 3

Reply #9
thx for creating this fun component

Will there be any RSS generation in future?
i would like to see all the stats in rss format

Reply #10

I'm not sure, wether this comes of a mistagged song, or if there indeed exists a band named "???". If not I think such entries should not be transmitted to the foosic database?!

There is ... it is an german uhm ... radio play (?) ... you know ... a kind of Audiobook, but with every Character its own Voice
named ??? ("Three Questionmarks")

[Edited]
just found the english Version: The Three Investigators

Reply #11
In the last few weeks there have been quite some changes:

News
2006-05-01

Bugfix to several playtime statistics.
2006-04-28

We've moved! If you read this, you're on the new server. Everything should now work a bit faster.
2006-04-27

> 1000 users! foosic will now get its very own server machine, so there might be some downtime in the near future as we move things.
2006-04-22

Whoo, massive updates all over the site. Completely reworked all top statistics to make them more robust, and some tuning to how the results are ordered. In general they should be more realistic and representative now. I added a toplist of users.

There's now complete search functionality in the database, too.
2006-04-20

Various layout updates. It's now possible to see other users' statistics, provided the user in question allowed this. You can toggle it for yourself in the User Info panel. It's also asked at registration for new accounts. I'll add user search later, but for now you can toy around with it by using links of the style http://www.foosic.org/query_user.php?user=UserNameGoesHere
Enjoy!
2006-04-14

Okay, User Info page is now extended quite a bit, allowing you to change your email address and change your password. You can also get your password reset from the login page, should you have forgotten it.

It also allows you to enable other people to see your statistics, if you choose to do so. I will add the actual support for this later on, but the idea is that you can check out what your friends or random other people are listening to, what music they like, and so on.

Moreover there has been a new foo_sic.dll released (see foosic.org). It's version-number is: 1.0 beta 6

Thanks for the massive enhancements!

Reply #12
Moreover there has been a new foo_sic.dll released (see foosic.org). It now is capable of storing played songs, if you are not connected to the internet!
I wonder what made you think that. If there is some ambiguous text in the component or on my page, I'd sure like to fix it.

Reply #13
You can now search for a user, if you know their username.

You can get some user names by looking at the Top Users page.

I was wondering, how about a link from a band name, album, or song title to see who, with public stats, has submitted the item.

It would be a way for users to discover what other users are listening to their kind of music, or just discover which idiot is listening to so much Ben Folds Five.

Here's another idea:  could you use ISAPI to provide personalised URLs, like http://www.foosic.org/Synthetic+Soul, instead of http://www.foosic.org/query_user.php?user=Synthetic+Soul?  I know there's always tinyurl, but...  I have mentioned before about a webservice or similar so users can display their own stats on their own site, or whereever.  Similar idea.

Wrd homies.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #14
I think this is a good idea, and it will be added, together with an "who else has this album/artist" kind of thing.

Personalized URLs: well, this isn't IIS running, so it won't be ISAPI, but yes, that is possible

But I am balancing my time and this is for now not a priority, working on something else. I hope I can make a very cool announcement regarding that next week or so.

Reply #15
Moreover there has been a new foo_sic.dll released (see foosic.org). It now is capable of storing played songs, if you are not connected to the internet!
I wonder what made you think that. If there is some ambiguous text in the component or on my page, I'd sure like to fix it.

Hi foosion,

I just had one more look at plugin-preference-page. I'm very sorry. I obviously had seen something not written there... I thought the "not implemented yet" had vanished. I will edit my last post now!

Sorry!

Good night..

Reply #16
sorry for my ignorance. What's the difference between foosic and the last.fm service? What's the good and bad?

thanks.

Reply #17
i just wanted to say i love foosic =)

although i don't like it because if i listen to a dance set (60minutes+) only for a minute it adds it like i listened to the whole thing.

Reply #18
I think I should make the text there clearer. Even when it will be implemented, this feature will just allow you to see which items could not be submitted due to a lack of metadata. It is not intended as a submit queue.

Reply #19
sorry for my ignorance. What's the difference between foosic and the last.fm service? What's the good and bad?

thanks.

last.fm is simply more complex, better and more useful, imo. i'm using the both things, the main advantage of foosic is maybe that it represents the musical taste of a specific community: the foobar users

Reply #20
i just wanted to say i love foosic =)

although i don't like it because if i listen to a dance set (60minutes+) only for a minute it adds it like i listened to the whole thing.

Good point, but submitting fractions doesn't really work :-P

Cuesheets can help

thanks.

There isn't much to differentiate the functionality yet.

I don't have very good eyesight and I personally find the last.fm website hard to read. (It was much better when it was still audioscrobbler).

Reply #21
But I am balancing my time and this is for now not a priority, working on something else. I hope I can make a very cool announcement regarding that next week or so.

Well, as you can see on the website, there is some new "hot" functionality available

The infrastructure (libFooID) is freely usable to anyone, not just limited to foobar2000.

Reply #22
There has been a new version of the foobar-plugin released! It now transmits fingerprints of the played songs and is capable of showing you information on failed transmissions.
You can get in on http://www.foosic.org

I found a bug?
http://www.foosic.org/query_song.php?title...You&artist=4lyn
Here the second entry shows "N/A" for genre. If I click the link there now stands "Numetal". Is this done on purpose?

Reply #23
There has been a new version of the foobar-plugin released! It now transmits fingerprints of the played songs and is capable of showing you information on failed transmissions.
You can get in on http://www.foosic.org

SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #24

any idea how this happened? (the song is for 100% the same)

EDIT: nevermind, most probably it should work this way, sorry for bothering