Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Small but serious bug in EAC - and how to avoid it (Read 6063 times) previous topic - next topic

Small but serious bug in EAC - and how to avoid it

A few weeks ago I discovered a small but annoying bug in EAC. It appears, when there were "suspicious positions" at some tracks while grabbing. In earlier versions EAC always wrote then "There were errors" at the end of the logfile. But instead of doing this, it now always wrote "No errors occured". So it happened during my last several dozen ripps, that I grabbed 7 or 8 CD´s with errors - and didn´t notice it at first, as I took my focus only at the end-message of the logfiles. Important: The bug appears only in the german version of EAC, as there happened a mistake in the german translation-file of EAC. It was reported to André Wiethoff (the author of EAC) a few weeks ago, and meanwhile he uploaded a corrected german textfile (dated on 14/07). So, if you haven´t done it not yet, please download this one from his webpage. If you downloaded the main-program newly, you also have to download the fixed german textfile additionally, as the main program-package was not yet updated.
My used codecs and settings:
FLAC V1.1.2 -4 / APE V3.99 Update 4 -high / MPC V1.15v --q 5 / LAME V3.97b2 -V2 --vbr-new / OGG aoTuV V4.51 Lancer -q5

Reply #1
Thank you for the info !

Reply #2
I don't use any language pack, but :

Code: [Select]
EAC extraction logfile from 17. July 2003, 23:19 for CD
(...)

Used drive  : TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2312   Adapter: 2  ID: 0
Read mode   : Burst
Read offset correction : 0
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : C:\AUDIO\multi_frontend\mac.exe   (Monkey's Audio Lossless Encoder)
                    High Lossless Compression

Other options      :
   Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
   Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
   Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

Track  1
(...)

Track  3
  Filename C:\Mes nouveaux rips\De Profundis.wav

Peak level 84.3 %
  Test CRC F7A9D45C
  Copy CRC 2AE21680
  Copy OK

(...)

No errors occured

End of status report

CRC mismatch, but "no errors" as conclusion ??? (it was a burst Test & Copy extraction).

Reply #3

CRC mismatch, but "no errors" as conclusion ??? (it was a burst Test & Copy extraction).

did it happen also on EAC V0.9 beta 4 ?
.halverhahn

Reply #4

did it happen also on EAC V0.9 beta 4 ?

Don't know : I haven't 0.94xxx installed anymore.

Reply #5
This is not a language pack error, but something that occurs when the Test rip, and the Copy rip result in different outputs, thus the checksums are different. IMO EAC should report this as a bad rip, but it doesnt. Try lowering the speed of the drive, using nero drivespeed, or similar programs. I hope this helps.

Reply #6
EAC has always reported "no errors occured" when CRC mismatch, but no errors were detected. It means that no error was detected during the reading part.

What we talk about here is much more annoying : reporting "no errors occured" (in german, AFAIU) whatever happens. If I understood well, the message "there were errors" have been replaced by "no errors occured" in the german translation.