Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ubuntu MATE 20.04 - Fb2k creates a loop device and mounts it of 11MB  (Read 990 times) previous topic - next topic

Ubuntu MATE 20.04 - Fb2k creates a loop device and mounts it of 11MB

After disconnecting and reconnecting an external drive, a foobar2000 extension-less file appeared on my desktop and a 11MB loop drive is mounted, and if I unmount it, it will re-mount itself, even disconnecting and reconnecting the external drive does this again.

I have it installed as the snapd package with wine in it. I intend on just installing wine and reinstall fb2k the regular way, or if CrossOver 19 isn't already faulty, haven't used my crossover license since 17. snap is a headache and I hate it I have to admit heh.

The loop fake 11MB drive has  0b space left and it's comprised of this

Code: [Select]
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32 May 26 02:15 bin
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 56 May 26 02:15 data-dir
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  3 May 26 02:14 gnome-platform
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 61 May 26 02:15 lib
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 56 May 26 02:15 meta
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 79 May 26 02:15 snap
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 56 May 26 02:15 sommelier
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 28 May 26 02:15 usr
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  3 May 26 02:15 wine-platform
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root  3 May 26 02:15 wine-runtime

hmm. why does it have root access? what is this? FB2K can't even play my music files on external drives, I have to move folders temporarily in the Music folder to do it with anything outside the user's little playground, the --classic option doesn't work, we're even told after installing "--classic mode option not available in restricted snapd environment" or such.

Should I check that external drive for malware/trojans etc? I'm gonna unplug it and see if that remains (the external drive), it's got no music on it, only audio files there are podcasts and audiobooks and I use something else for that anyway.

What is happening here?

Re: Ubuntu MATE 20.04 - Fb2k creates a loop device and mounts it of 11MB

Reply #1
I should mention that when I look at Disks, the loop device says /var/lib/snapd/snaps/foobar2000_336.snap (deleted).

Reply #2
This loop device is part of snap installation, you don't need to mess with it.

To make snap have access to removable drives you need to do

snap connect snappackage:removable-media

Replace snappackage with the name of foobar2000 snap.

Reply #3
This 11MB disk doesn't exist, it's a loop drive, fb2k didn't create this when I installed it, it didn't create it later, this stuff only showed up once I plugged in a usb3.0 2TB SSD external drive. Now it doesn't wanna go away and unmounting it only results in it being remounted out of thin air again.

I didn't delete that snap file like Disks is saying. It looks like this 11MB fake drive is to replace something that should be in /var/lib/snapd/snap where other foobar2000_457.snap and other numbered such files exist. I never deleted the file that the loop drive was created to replace I guess, and let's say I had to, I wouldn't have dropped the foobar2000 strange log file with no extension on my desktop, I'm OCD about my data, nothing goes on the desktop but the bare minimum.

Why did it happen when I inserted an external drive and now remains, independent of that external drive is a mystery to me.

Reply #4
The loop devices are created for the snapd when you install a package using it.

https://imgur.com/a/IbSiwEA

And in var/lib/snapd/snaps

https://imgur.com/a/m7Uzpbz

owned by root.

So the most posible scenario is that you broke the normal instalation

Try to uninstall the snap and start again.

snap list

must show you the snap installed. Find the offender one and uninstall it.

snap remove snappackagename

Reply #5
Broke how? By plugging in an external drive?

Foobar is playing music just fine, other snap files with numbers more recent than this "deleted" one are there, so I guess that snap shot isn't important? Very strange, well it doesn't matter much, I'll be installing CrossOver 19 pretty soon and if not that Wine itself and install fb2k in there the old school way pretty soon.

Reply #6
The external devices doesn't create loop devices. Neither are related in any form with snapd

This device was created by a snap foobar2000 instalation.

If you install it and deleted before the loop devices and the var file are erased. Also they are not shown in gnome-disk by default.

So you must have a broken previous snap package or a bad uninstall.

this is the normal situation after uninstall the foobar200 snap correctly

https://imgur.com/a/We6htf1

As you can see all previous references to foobar are gone.

Reply #7
The loop devices are the disk images containing the installed snaps. Each snap is a single compressed disk image containing all the files that make up the snap. Rather than extracting them to your root volume, snapd mounts them as loopback devices and runs the software directly from them.

Reply #8
Precise definition.

But i understand that the first time one see all of this new dev entries it feels like something is wrong and the first idea is get rid of them.

At least this was my reaction when i install my first snap.  8)

and i'm in the impresion that i was not the only one because in the past they was shown in the ui and now (at least in gnome40) they don't (for example in gnome-disks).

Reply #9
I understand what those last 3 posts are saying. But the situation is not understood properly so I'll make it simple.

a)foobar2k is installed normally since several weeks, no 11mb false loop drive in Disks or on the Desktop and no foobar2000 extension-less file on the desktop, firefox is on, along with pluma, nothing strange happening.
b) I insert 2TB seagate SDD external hard drive in a 3.0 usb slot
c) the drive doesn't mount automatically because I have things set this way
d)I mount the drive in Thunar, let it load all of the files by going to Properties so that Caja doesn't crash trying to list them all like with the other external seagate SDD I have where this happens, have to mount in Thunar and do this. Then Caja doesn't crash after the green loading arrow stops turning, after doing said process (weird I know but if the drive wasnt theres at POST, I get this in 20.04 MATE, with those 2 different seagate expansion external drives, different models but same concept, just 1 is 1TB the other is 2TB. I doubt that has anything to do with the problem at hand, but then again this was provoked by insertion of the 2TB drive.
e)Sudden apparition of the foobar2000 blank extension-less log-type file and of the 11MB loop back device icon on desktop and in Disks
f) Unmounting the Seagate 2TB SDD doesn't change anything, neither does literally ejecting it.
g) I can't unmount that drive because it says fb2k is using it, along with Caja at the time because I had opened the drive to look at it and apparently some operation happened then, now it only mentions fb2k when asking if I'm sure I want to unmount it . Disks says that loop back drive was created because foobar2000 number wxyz is deleted. I didn't delete it myself that's for sure.
h)Everything still works fine, well that until I get a new 2TB internal drive in the mail to install 20.04 LTS on again (current drive has too many bad blocks to be comfortable with long term, better than constant live sessions off flash usb sticks tho

I didn't do anything to provoke this apparent snap file deletion, nor do I understand how it is remedied by Caja mounting a 11mb loop back drive to have the content of said deleted snap file pointed at by Disks.

Really weird, overall.

Reply #10
so when was  trying to load the files in the external disk foobar crash leaving the disk busy and  preventing unmount it.

Also you're SO disk have a lot of bad sectors and need to be replace.

I understand it right?

Maybe the files get corrupted due to the bad condition of the disk.

I only have once a "similar" problem with one drive that sometimes load at post and sometimes not and the disk died a few days after.

Reply #11
No the external drive was NOT scanned by fb2k, as it cannot see other drives other than /home due the way snap installs it. My system is also setup so that external drives do not mount automatically, I have to click on them for it to happen, and fb2k doesn't scan anything. It's okay, I tagged a lot of my stuff using metaflac --add-replay-gain *.flac inside album folders, so I get all the benefits of what I move to /Music.

I bet this won't be there when I reboot, just real strange that a snap file got deleted (not by me), but which the system detected and created that 11MB loop drive to replace it.

Yes, the hard drive on which Ubuntu MATE 20.04 LTS is installed has a bunch of bad blocks, I got a hard drive coming in the mail to replace it. It's not making it unusable, but I guess I can blame strange events like this on it.

Still don't have a clear answer as to whats happened here though.

Reply #12
Well, at least your music files are save. At the end there are the most difficult to replace part of equation, the file system is ease to rebuild.

Is very posible that was a problem of corruption. when the disk are near to fail there's a lot of strange behaviours.

About the snap access to removable drives is posible. Look a few post before i give the command needed to do it