Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tagging practice: medleys and other multi-song tracks (Read 945 times) previous topic - next topic

Tagging practice: medleys and other multi-song tracks

I am curious what you folks think. I am using foobar2000 and quite often use "quicksearch for same" and the like - "do I have a live version of this?!" etc.

For tag fields like composer, I consider them unordered lists. "Butler; Iommi; Osbourne; Ward" is the same as "Iommi; Osbourne; Butler; Ward". I have not bothered to consider "primary" composer ordering, nor to split between music / lyrics.

Tracks/songs in a medley and the like - they appear in order. Often an intro or outro or whatever has a name. Pink Floyd had "Speak to Me" and "Breathe" as a single track on most (all?) CDs up to the DSotM 20th anniversary edition, but subsequently split them. For example. And then you have some albums - live, most often - where a song is meddled into the middle of another. (I have a lot of metal and have cleaned a few "Songtitle - Guitar Solo - Songtitle cont'd" to "Songtitle", those are IMHO easy and can be disregarded.)

What do you think is The Right Thing or The Reasonable Desirable/Doable Trade-Off?

Re: Tagging practice: medleys and other multi-song tracks

Reply #1
I have done it in two ways, although prefer he latter now:

A1. ARTIST: artist 1 vs. artist 2
A2. TITLE: track title 1 vs. track title 2

B1. ARTIST: artist 1 / artist 2
B2. TITLE: track title 1 / track title 2

As I say, it's almost always the latter now. Same with cue sheets that I create for DJ mixes that mashup 2 or more songs together for example. Sometimes the versus is still used if the release has been named that way.

I will order/list them as they appear in the song

Re: Tagging practice: medleys and other multi-song tracks

Reply #2
I list artists and writers in the order that they appear. The order might have an importance although often I see them switched on a different release. I make sure to always use the same spelling for a songwriter, and avoid very short pseudonyms that are likely to clash. For consistency, I usually use the main spelling from Discogs with full first name.

For tracks with multiple titled segments I include them in order separated by a forward slash, and a dash in filenames. If there are more than 3 titles, I write the name of the medley, and include separate titles in the comments field. The main title shouldn't get too long that it doesn't fit the display. For a medley I usually don't include songwriters because there are too many and it is unclear who wrote what.