Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help please from all you experts - obscure codec needed (Read 15962 times) previous topic - next topic

Help please from all you experts - obscure codec needed

I have been asked to convert a wav file in an obscure format to something more friendly - like an audio file that can be played in most standard players under XP.

I have used Gspot to try and identify the files and it reports that the codec is 0x0120 (PHILIPS CELP), 8000Hz 19 kb/s (1 chnl)

I have looked everywhere for a codec, and failed. I have downloaded many utilities and converters - none will work.

The files were made on some dictation system - Philips I think.

I know I am probably dealing with proprietary architechture here - and Philips only want their files to work with their kit.....

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Reply #1

Actually CELP is a variety of MPEG4 audio. The Philips MPEG 4 player available halfway down

http://rarewares.org/mp4.html

might play them. Some other MPEG4 capable players might also play them.

The problem is going to be if the files are in some non-standard or proprietary container format instead of the MPEG standard one.

Reply #2
Thanks - I've aready tried that player - no joy.

I think you might be right about the container.

Reply #4
If you find a way to re-package it to MPEG-4 you may have a chance with MPEG-4 enabled players like QuickTime.

Reply #5
I have been asked to convert a wav file in an obscure format to something more friendly - like an audio file that can be played in most standard players under XP.

I have used Gspot to try and identify the files and it reports that the codec is 0x0120 (PHILIPS CELP), 8000Hz 19 kb/s (1 chnl)

I have looked everywhere for a codec, and failed. I have downloaded many utilities and converters - none will work.

I know I am probably dealing with proprietary architechture here - and Philips only want their files to work with their kit.....

I have converted Phiips dictations to PCM & then to GSM. I used a Philips SDK for decoding. I note that I have a codec named smcelp.acm.

The Philips SDK wrapped calls to the codec in some simpler calls to one of their DLLs.

Alan Lloyd

Reply #6
He'll either have given up or sorted the problem in the last 34 months....
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)