Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playlist View: File selection while holding Shift (Read 2222 times) previous topic - next topic

Playlist View: File selection while holding Shift

Experienced this with 1.3.14, updated to 1.3.16 and the problem persists. Also tested with a clean portable install of 1.3.16.

Normally, when you have a single file selected, you can hold shift, click on another file.
Those two files and all between are then selected.

Let's say i have ten tracks in the playlist. I click track two, hold shift, click track five. Two to five are selected.
I click five again, and only five is selected. Hold shift, click nine. Five to nine should be selected, instead, two to nine are.

Re: Playlist View: File selection while holding Shift

Reply #1
Isn't that up to the playlist viewer to implement over again, because there is no SDK interface for implementing the shift-clicking behavior?

Reply #2
I... guess so? Sorry, i'm not sure what you mean. I'm using the default UI and built-in playlist viewer, if that helps.

Reply #3
I just tested on my installation, and there it is. I'm with the OP, the behavior in the example given is not as expected.

Reply #4
Correct. So it looks like the Default UI's playlist viewer has this flaw. Have you tested any other playlist viewers? Not explicitly suggesting Columns UI, but any other DUI compatible component, or CUI and its components. May as well see if it's a common bug, or just applicable to this one UI.

Reply #5
My playlist needs are fully met by the DUI viewer, so I'm of no help there. The DUI Album List behaves as it should.

Reply #6
Well, yes, but that's to be expected, since the Album List is mostly a stock tree view, while the Playlist Viewer is entirely a custom control.

Reply #7
I tested EsPlaylist for DUI which doesn't have this behaviour. Also, Columns UI's NGplaylist works as expected too.

Reply #8
[T]he Album List is mostly a stock tree view, while the Playlist Viewer is entirely a custom control.
As the OP noted, it's the "built-in" viewer. I expect that to handle shift-clicks in the same way the built-in Album List does.

Reply #9
Correct. So it looks like the Default UI's playlist viewer has this flaw .....
Tested here and the behavior seems "normal".

Reply #10
This behavior seems to occur only when clicking on the last item in the original shift-click selection (whether it is below or above the first click) and then shift-clicking elsewhere.

Reply #11
Stumbled onto another bit of strange behaviour in the playlist viewer, it's related enough that i'll piggyback it on this thread i think. It has to do with file selection.

'Cursor follows playback' is enabled.
While playing track two, i click on and start dragging track five to change its position in the playlist.
Track two ends, track three starts, i drop track five in its new position.
Track five remains in place, track three is now where i was about to place track five.

Again, default UI and playlist viewer.