Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AudioSAFE (Read 153850 times) previous topic - next topic

AudioSAFE

Reply #125
And let's not forget that as spoon's database grows, an increasing percentage of the files will not actually need to be uploaded, lowering the bandwidth requirements.

That's certainly the case for a more mainstream collection. However, a large part of my collection consists of rare bootlegs and independent releases which exist in a quantity of 100 or less. I doubt there will be much to deduplicate here...

Let's hope that there will be at least some users with a mainstream music collection so the service can remain affordable

EDIT: Hey, I have an idea! The client could calculate a number, the higher the larger quantity of your collection is deduplicateable and the more the data is related to other users. It would be the ultimate measure for the peculiarity of your own taste: 1 = totally bizarre, 100 = top of the pops

I thought the idea of the service is a data archive.
Not an service like Apple's where they have the licenses to allow duplication of data and downloading in higher quality. Not to mention commercial contracts with major players.

AudioSAFE

Reply #126
@MichaelW:
Latest. Maybe. So what? It doesn't superseed what most use even though some wish it will eventually.

AudioSAFE

Reply #127
You calculations are really off the mark.

500GB = 500 000MB

500 000 * 8 / 4 / 3600 / 24 = 11 days 14 hours.

Actually, 500 GB = (500 * 1024) = 512 000 MB

Actually, by the latest standards, 500GiB = 512 000 MB.

You mean by the actual marketing crap ... a GB is a GB, GiB is some BS to mislead buyers.

AudioSAFE

Reply #129
You mean by the actual marketing crap ... a GB is a GB, GiB is some BS to mislead buyers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Most buyers think a kilometer is 1 000 meters, not 1 024 meters, and don't see why it should be different for bytes of disk space.

My (jokey) point was that if you're going to be pedantic, you do need to be accurate.

Point is that computing is base 2, so the multiples are 1024, and not 1000. He was referring also to GB, you added the i as in GiB which is different from GB.

AudioSAFE

Reply #130

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Most buyers think a kilometer is 1 000 meters, not 1 024 meters, and don't see why it should be different for bytes of disk space.

My (jokey) point was that if you're going to be pedantic, you do need to be accurate.

You seem to ignore the fact that he was accurate. Just followed a standard that's different from the one you preach.

AudioSAFE

Reply #133
1) AudioSafe must be made more verbose - I've recently added several flac files and synchronization has taken mere 30 seconds and now I'm not even sure if my remote backup collection matches my locally stored files (even though AudioSafe is now "idle" 100% done).

Can you please add a button which shows something like this:

Stored locally:

Files: 1234
Size: 23 456 789 012 bytes

Stored remotely:

Files: 1234
Size: 23 456 789 012 bytes

These number may differ when synchronization is still in progress. And I suppose there's no need for a button - this information can be made permanent in the UI.

2) Also that would be nice if I could browse my remotely stored files using a visual Explorer like interface to verify that everything is in order.

3) Can you please share some anonymous stats about the current progress, like how many users have syncronized their data, what's the average size of a user collection, what's the ratio between FLAC/MP3/OGG/TAK/etc files, what music genres are preferred, etc - you name it.

4) Does this application store user settings other than in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Illustrate\\AudioSAFE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Illustrate\\AudioSAFE registry keys? I'm asking because I want to backup this application settings. Ideally your application should store its settings in one file under e.g. %Application Data%/AudioSafe/settings.ini - or even in an application folder to make it portable.

AudioSAFE

Reply #134
Writing into application installation folder would require running the app as administrator on Vista/Win7 (UAC enabled). Or it would have to be installed into some shared access folder instead of Program Files.

AudioSAFE

Reply #135
Been uploading for 4 days and it still only shows 2% .  Think I'm doin it rong.

AudioSAFE

Reply #136
What is your collection size? What upload speed is shown?

I tested with about 100GB and it took 14 days to upload. Most people if they had to restore would find it is 10x faster.

AudioSAFE

Reply #137
7:34:46 : Could not process file :
G:\Music\MP4\xxxxx.mp4
Reason: Storage quota exceeded.

A few minutes later, got a compete flurry of similar messages for the rest of my collection.

AudioSAFE

Reply #138
Files with .MP4 extension are treated as video content and put in your general storage. Rename yours to M4A.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

AudioSAFE

Reply #139
Files with .MP4 extension are treated as video content and put in your general storage. Rename yours to M4A.

I find it hard to express my true feelings about this "feature" without violating TOS2 multiple times

I'm not renaming my files to fix obvious brain-dead behavior in your application. You're going to break at least for .asf, for .mkv. Hell, you're going to break for .ogg, too.

AudioSAFE

Reply #140
a new venture 'Cloud Audio'.
spoon,

can you communicate who your partners are?

Is the new AudioSAFE forum's Super Moderator "PeterP" the developer of foobar2000?
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

AudioSAFE

Reply #142
I am still waiting for your T&C and data retention policies.

AudioSAFE

Reply #143
Maybe the business model includes re-using all the uploaded tracks/rips. Why rip music on your own if you can let others do all the work for you.

Is there a policy about what happens / Cloud Audio is allowed to do with the uploaded files?

It would be the stupidest business model ever to 're-use' potentially copyrighted audio, and reuse for what exactly?

Not the stupidest business model, if you have a deal with copyright owners (record companies) (theoretically a 1.9 Mio CDs  or 500000$ ripping deal)

AudioSAFE

Reply #144
After transcoding my APE archive to TAK a few month ago, TAK support would be great 

Is it planned for future versions?

AudioSAFE

Reply #145
What's up with AudioSafe backup servers? Today most of the time I've got just 1-2KB/sec upload speed.

(Running AudioSafe 1.0.0.3)

And no one has answered my post.

OK, registry settings are not enough, after merging two reg files on a newly reinstalled Windows, AudioSafe has lost my collection (Z:\Audio) and started with "%USER%\My Music". I've quickly paused AudioSafe and rerun it with my "old" collection and now it wants to upload almost all files again. That's insane. Reuploading 50GB of data ...

AudioSafe has detected just 17% of my audio collection as already uploaded (or probably as duplicates). That's a mess.

AudioSAFE

Reply #146
Just checked server is normal, accepting backups and reading at a level it has done all week. It is running at 1% of network capacity.

AudioSAFE

Reply #147
If your account has previously uploaded the tracks, they would not be uploaded again, hence the 2 kb whilst it checks through the files again.

AudioSAFE

Reply #148
If your account has previously uploaded the tracks, they would not be uploaded again, hence the 2 kb whilst it checks through the files again.

Thanks for letting us know. However that would be nice if the application actually said that ("verifying tracks" or something like that) instead of showing an abysmal upload speed

Luckily AudioSafe hasn't reuploaded all the tracks, the application was verifying them, albeit very slowly.