Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mr QuestionMan 0.5 released (Read 24772 times) previous topic - next topic

Mr QuestionMan 0.5 released

Reply #25
I noticed that Sir QuestionMan is not able to either see or work in hidden folders / files. hidden folders and files do not show up in the search tree, and if you manually want to open an mp3 in one of these folders, you get an 'invalid folder' error message.
is this intended, a 'feature', or maybe a bug?

it would be very usefull for me to be able work with the app in hidden folders also, so if it might be possible to implent that, I would be very happy.
this would in addition be a nice chance to add something to the very small part of 'settings for sane people' section   

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']using WinXP sp1, ntsf formated disk, MrQuestionMan 0.6.[/span]
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #27
thank you Gambit    works perfectly here.

Reply #28
thank you Gambit    works perfectly here.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=252135"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here too   
Thanks

Reply #29
A feature suggestion for Mr.Questionman:

If all files in the scanned folder give the same results (e.g. all are LAME 3.90.3 aps), generate an empty file in the directory, with a filename describing the encoding of the files.
Using the above example the filename could be:
MP3_LAME_VBR_APS_211kbps.txt

The "x kbps" value could come from the average bitrate of the files.

Of course this should work not only for mp3-s, but all supported types. And of yourse this should be optional.

And the use of this: if you already scanned a folder with MQM, when you enter the folder you'll see the results at a glance.

Mr. Questionman is great, let's make it even better!

Thanks!
Mark
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

Reply #30
Sooooo? Anyone like my idea? 
Life is Real...

Reply #31
There is some sense to it.

I don't think it would need to write a file in each directory though - too messy.  It would do best to maintain one file in the application folder - like a database (or simply a list) of folders scanned.

It would have to record some hash value for the folder to be able to check whether the contents had changed, which would slow down the process (checking the folder's contents against the recorded hash value).  Again, this could be a preference so you chose whether it checked each time or only on user request ("Requery folder" button).

Would you check the same folder multiple times though?

I'm not sure I have any folders with so many files in that it would be necessary.  If you could view folders recursively then it may come into its own.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #32
I like the database idea. But why not simply add the result as an additional comment into the ID3 tag? Of course this feature should be optional only.
I'm using Jriver Media Center to organize my music collection and it could be extremely useful to have this information available (e.g. using this as selection criteria in smartlists).

Reply #33
Well, my original idea with this feature would have been that I can see at a glance in Explorer or Windows Commander with which settings the albums were encoded. 
Life is Real...

Reply #34
Well, my original idea with this feature would have been that I can see at a glance in Explorer or Windows Commander with which settings the albums were encoded. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253191"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i think it's a nice idea, probably pretty easy to implement and very handy for p2p applications.

thanks for an excellent program gambit!

[add] one question though: what do all those settings do?

Reply #36
one question though: what do all those settings do?
They improve the Tonal Purity.
well, I'm sorry to have to say that, but that's just not true Gambit.
in fact, these settings, generally refered to as genautic subtobian settings, do indeed have the potential to improve tonal purity, with most impact on crispy base and airy hights. but if the user doesn't set it up right (as stated here), it could most possible lead to... nothing.
which leads to my actual question: whyt does all this have in common with the price of potatos?

Reply #38
Nice, I like this application. I've noticed that profile are now correct with wavpack. But there's still a problem: when self-extract module is embedded, MrQM can't display ANY informations about wv files.
An exemple of sfx wavpack file:
ftp://ftp2.foobar2000.net/foobar/Bloch_Formule.wv

EDIT: wavpack profile isn't guess (?) correctly. -f[ast]x5 encodings are now labeled as WavPack 4 lossless (normal) (it was (high) with previous 0.6 beta).

Reply #39
Thanks for the file guruboolez, I'll have a look.

And no, WavPack profile still isn't detected correctly. WavPack sources are a bit of a mess and we (jtclipper and me) didn't have the nerves to go through them to find out how to fix it...

Reply #40
One other thing that I have noticed with MrQuestionMan is this:

I have some tunes which I encoded with Frauhofer's FastEnc. These showed incorrect length and bitrate due to the header. So I fix the headers with Foobar2k but now MrQM displays them as Xing-encoded tunes.

I can't seem to remember reading about this problem before with MrQM. If it has been brought up earlier, please disregard this post.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Reply #41
Yeah, as said before, detection of non LAME mp3s is not perfect. Feltzkrone started to work on improving that part of the code, but he went MIA again.

Reply #43
This is really a nice little tool 

I have a few of things that i would really like 2 be added
1. An option where u can set where MrQM should "view" when its start
2. Support for AAC/M4A/MP4
3. An auto update function when more files is added 2 the same folder ur checking now. (Now u have 2 go 2 another folder and the back again 4 it 2 update)

I also just noticed that if i change anything under Settings it's back to the default settings when i check Settings again. I would be gr8 to get a set of Okey/Cancel buttons under Settings also.

MrQM v0.6

Ur doin' a gr8 work with this tool Gambit   

//NR

Reply #44
Thanks for the file guruboolez, I'll have a look.

And no, WavPack profile still isn't detected correctly. WavPack sources are a bit of a mess and we (jtclipper and me) didn't have the nerves to go through them to find out how to fix it...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261800"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Feel free to post exactly what you want to know...

Reply #45
Unfortunately David has been very busy with his new job as of late. It's not at his home town, so he has to travel every week to San Francisco, and I suspect he doesn't have good internet access where he is staying there.

Gambit: If Garf can't help you, I suggest you write David a mail (david@wavpack.com). He isn't visiting the forums much as of late.

Reply #46
I was wondering if it was possible to add an option that scans sub folders as well
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #47
16 - March - 2005   
Mr QuestionMan 0.6 released.

Changelog:
- added TTA support
- added Speex support
- added AC3 support
- added DTS support
- updated WavPack support to handle version 4 files
- updated and fixed Wav reading