Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools: unrecognized or virtual drive (Read 703 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools: unrecognized or virtual drive

Hello everyone,

I need your advice, please.
I have a new external CD/DVD drive: Verbatim 98938, which I use for ripping my rather large CD collection using EAC.
At the end of the EAC log, in the CTDB section, there is now an error message saying "unrecognized or virtual drive", meaning the rip results were not submitted to the CUETools Database. I know that it does not affect the rip quality, but I would like to contribute to that database, since it can be useful. I also tried ripping CDs using the CUETools ripper and got the same message about the unrecognized drive at the end.

Any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Two more things that might be important:
- The drive identifies as simply "DVD RW" without any further letters or numbers
- The drive seems to be working fine with AccurateRip database

Re: CUETools: unrecognized or virtual drive

Reply #1
Drive model is a requirement for submission.
korth

Reply #2
Drive model is a requirement for submission.

This is what I suspected... I checked again and the model is displaying as "DVD RW           JQ3M" in the ripper.
However, the last bit (JQ3M) gets cut off in the extraction log and I guess CUETools only sees "DVD RW".
Is there a way to do something about it?

Here's a picture
https://i.imgur.com/wSgIwoV.jpeg

Reply #3
AFAIK revision/firmware identifiers aren't sent.
korth

Reply #4
What is the output of the following command from cmd:
wmic cdrom get Name

Reply #6
So, the drive is not identified by Windows. Manufacturer and product number are missing.
- How does this USB drive behave on a different Windows computer? Is it identified there?

Reply #7
So, the drive is not identified by Windows. Manufacturer and product number are missing.
- How does this USB drive behave on a different Windows computer? Is it identified there?

I have just tried it on a different laptop - I'm afraid it's the same.
It also looks like I can still return this drive and get a different one... Am I right in assuming that this is the easiest solution here?

Reply #8
Yes, returning and getting a different drive makes sense in this situation.