Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extract CUE sheet from FLAC files? (Read 8051 times) previous topic - next topic

Extract CUE sheet from FLAC files?

I have a bunch of FLAC files that have the cue sheet embedded in the file. This does me no good when I want to put it on my ipod...

The only way I have found to extract the cue sheet is with the command prompt and the metaflac command, but this is tedious and very annoying because the file and path of the source and target files have to contain no spaces and it's just a huge PITA in general.

Is there a faster way to extract the cue sheet from these darn flac files that have it embedded?

Reply #1
If you are using a Vorbis comment you can use Case's Tag to extract the CUESHEET tag to a file en masse:

Code: [Select]
TAG.EXE --tocuea *.flac

... IIRC.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
If you are using a Vorbis comment you can use Case's Tag to extract the CUESHEET tag to a file en masse:

TAG.EXE --tocuea *.flac

... IIRC.

This is one area where I think Josh should steal from Wavpack, as wvunpack has an option to dump en embedded cuesheet to stdout.

wvunpack -c

Reply #3
NB: Since 2.0.46 Tag has the ability to dump any tag to STDOUT, e.g.:

TAG --tostdoutn CUESHEET myfile.flac

... if this were more suitable for any reason.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
…but this is tedious and very annoying because the file and path of the source and target files have to contain no spaces…
A bit off topic, though any command-line arguments with spaces can usually be enclosed in quotes to avoid them being parsed as several individual parts.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #5
More to the point, all of that will only copy the embedded cue sheet, not withdraw it from the FLAC file. Use metaflac --remove --block-type=CUESHEET *.flac for that. What would be the point though?

Reply #6
hi,

i have a similar task to do here. i have ripped all my CDs with fb2k (secure mode) as single files w/ embedded cue sheets. as i can see most of the programs already supports playing embedded files (of course not fb2k), but some of them can't trade them correctly. for example mediaportal play all the files, but skipping songs within the flac images it’s not working in the current version of mediaportal. don't know if this will be fixed or not. so i decided to split my flac images into single tracks. i will do that with cuetools 1.3 (great tool), it can do that all in a batch.

But first I tried that to do with metaflac.

Interesting was that when I tried to extract the cuesheet with metaflac using the option "--export-cuesheet-to" i received an error message: flac file has no cuesheet block...using export tags i was able to create a cue file. it seams that fb2k does not use the cuesheet block or so...

Since I decided to use CueTools…

I have some questions left about this, do I have to take care about the gaps? i don't have any idea how fb2k handled/ converted that. The following selections can be done Append/Prepended/left out  gaps ….what’s correct for files created by foobar?
I hope my posting is correct within this thread….anyway I hope this helps also the thread starter.
Thx in advance

Reply #8
But, until such time as Josh supports this in metaflac, here's a win32 utility I wrote which can accomplish the desired result: http://www.hegardtfoundation.org/flacstuff...portComment.zip  Full C source code included.

One (I think) nifty feature: FlacExportComment will bundle all the replay-gain tags into one "rpg" file.  So, if you export all the comments and zap all the tags in the flac, you can then reapply the replay gain values without having to make flac or metaflac recalculate them.