Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adding headings to a playlist? (Read 1170 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding headings to a playlist?

Is there a way to add something like a title, heading to a playlist above single groups of e.g. online radio stations to get a better overview? So, e.g. on top over the first 5 stations a title like "Jazz", over the stations 6 to 10 e.g. "Soul" and so on.
Win 7, Win Vista, newest stable foobar & EAC & Cue-Tools

Reply #2
Many thanks, motorhorst,

I had it already installed,, didn't know. Yes, I could use a folder as heading, but I cannot find a way to add columns like I can do in the usual playlists like "Titel", "Artist" etc....ah no, the playlists itselfs, their contents, doesn't seem be changeable by that add on, but just the manager, if I am right.

Thanks again.

Reply #3
In my experience, trying to do this with the standard playlist grouping scheme is too much of a hassle when it comes to radio streams. A much simpler solution is to use special files, inserted into the playlist wherever you want a category header to be. I use a very short (fraction of a second) and silent audio file, and enter the "header" info into a tag. (And I also use a "spacer" file to insert nothing but what appears to be an empty space into the playlist).

On the downside, you can't use a different font style on these pseudo headers (at least with the standard playlist component). But with smart use of column titleformatting it can look fairly clean. To me the result is very acceptable.

example result:
Code: [Select]

—— Classic Rock ——

Absolute Classic Rock                                                      128    MP3
Classic Deep Cuts                                                          128    MP3
181.fm - The Eagle (Your Home For REAL Classic Rock)                       128    MP3

—— Jazz ——

JAZZ Radio                                                                 192    MP3
Jazz FM | UK                                                                      AAC
Radio Derf Jazz                                                                   AAC

—— Classical ——

1.FM - Otto's Classical Musick                                                    AAC
1.FM - Otto's Baroque Musick                                                      AAC
Classical Minnesota Public Radio                                           128    MP3

Reply #4
Many thanks, trout,

Really a good idea, much better than my one, I had created empty files, named like this - ---------------- Ambiance ---------------- - without extensions and pulled it into the playlist. To use these silent files having tags you can expand the headers with and these spacer files of course is much better.

And yes, looks very good, like an option of foobar.

Many thanks again.

...I just noticed, I do not know, how do you make the spacer file? All tags empty...?...and without special columns like "Title" "File path" etc....ah yes, I guess that's it. Just use special columns.