Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer (Read 68010 times) previous topic - next topic
TF3RDL and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: foo_vis_spectrum_analyzer

Reply #750
I'm foremost interested in being able to discard the old Peakmeter Spectrum. For that I prefer this tool to mimic behavior of the old plugin. Old plugin shows 3dB less than this one (even with the +3dB disabled). So please implement it the same way or just make an extra tickbox in the configuration to do enable -3dB in order to mimic the old tool.
Have you considered the old Peakmeter was wrong?

The old plugin has tooltips that show Peak MAX and RMS max. Can you enable those as well?
I put it on the list.

Last point ... until now every version creates a hard crash to the desktop without logging when I accidentally Toggle full screen mode.
I don't care much if this will be solved, but please make it configurable not to show the Toggle Fullscreen on rightmouseclick.
No x64/x86/CUI/DUI crashes here.

Reply #751
Hello pqyt
I have detected an anomaly in the latest version. If you enable Leds in Peak Meter mode (Image1) and mark Left and Right (Image2) it does it correctly, but if you disable Left and Right (Image3) only the Left channel is displayed. In the previous version it did it correctly.

Reply #752
Have you considered the old Peakmeter was wrong?

Of course. But the value of the old Peakmeter Spectrum (easy to check in the tooltip) is exactly the same as the one from the modern Loudness Peakmeter plugin.

Last point ... until now every version creates a hard crash to the desktop without logging when I accidentally Toggle full screen mode.
I don't care much if this will be solved, but please make it configurable not to show the Toggle Fullscreen on rightmouseclick.
No x64/x86/CUI/DUI crashes here.

I thought it would have something to do with foo_ui_hacks but that is not the case. Only thing that's probably different in my CUI/x86 is the fact I use transparency. I tested by disabling transparency on the panel that your  plugin(s) live in, but that did not help.
Disabling transparency on all panels that depend on it for a small test is just way too much work (all SMP panels and all splitters and a lot of plugins that support it have transparency enabled).

Reply #753

I have no new arguments and you still haven't convinced me. Maybe @misio can shed some light on the situation. He/She has been pushing me in the other direction. I don't care either way. But I can't follow 2 different expert opinions at the same time.

Consider me no expert - I just judge those readings by eye/ear and in comparison to other known (established?) meters. For ex. if I measured the files (with RG) and they say they have peak (true-peak) at -0,5 and your plugin and other "similar" plugins say that it is more or less -0,5 - I'm happy. There were two previous version of this plugin that said it was 2,5 (by eye) so it was different than RG and every other player plus those files did not clip (I suppose they should with peaks at 2,5). So I reported that your peaks were to high. Now they look OK to me.

As for RMS - I just made a live comparison of readings while playing a track and it was like that:
- your component with +3 disabled showed the same values as VST TT Dynamic Range Meter and the same as VST dpMeter5 and the same as VST Span (that one with DBFS+3 set). If I  changed Span to DBFS (without +3) it showed 3 more than all the others (inluding yours which was with +3 disabled). So it seems (again judging by eye) that your RMS set to 0 shows what other show and when set to +3 it shows different values than others.

So to me (as an amateur) it seems that Peaks now are OK and RMS might be too high by 3. Or in other word: to make all those 4 meters show the same values I have to set yours to 0 (+3 disabled) and Span to DBFS+3. Other two do not have those options to change but show the same values.

Reply #754
As for RMS - I just made a live comparison of readings while playing a track and it was like that:
- your component with +3 disabled showed the same values as VST TT Dynamic Range Meter and the same as VST dpMeter5 and the same as VST Span (that one with DBFS+3 set). If I  changed Span to DBFS (without +3) it showed 3 more than all the others (inluding yours which was with +3 disabled). So it seems (again judging by eye) that your RMS set to 0 shows what other show and when set to +3 it shows different values than others.

So to me (as an amateur) it seems that Peaks now are OK and RMS might be too high by 3. Or in other word: to make all those 4 meters show the same values I have to set yours to 0 (+3 disabled) and Span to DBFS+3. Other two do not have those options to change but show the same values.
@wojak, would you please download one of the test files from https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sos-audio-test-files, preferably one with a dBFS number on the file name (e.g. 1_mono tone 1kHz -20dBFS 44k.wav or 19_Pink Noise stereo 20Hz_20kHz -23dBFS 44k.wav) and let us know what readings you get with other plugins?

Reply #755

@wojak, would you please download one of the test files from https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sos-audio-test-files, preferably one with a dBFS number on the file name (e.g. 1_mono tone 1kHz -20dBFS 44k.wav or 19_Pink Noise stereo 20Hz_20kHz -23dBFS 44k.wav) and let us know what readings you get with other plugins?

1_mono tone 1kHz -20dBFS 44k.wav:
- your component at 0: 20/20 (RMS/PEAK)
- your component at +3: 17/17
- vst TT Dynamic Range Meter: 20/20
- Span at DBFS: 23/20
- Span at DBFS+3: 20/20
- dpMeter: 23/20
- youlean loudness meter: 23/20

So it seems that RMS should be as @Case said - lower by 3 (or third option: -3).
Peak seem OK but one strange thing that your component also shows 17 as peak when +3 while all others show 20 no matter if +3 or not.

Reply #756

1_mono tone 1kHz -20dBFS 44k.wav:
- your component at 0: 20/20 (RMS/PEAK)
- your component at +3: 17/17
- vst TT Dynamic Range Meter: 20/20
- Span at DBFS: 23/20
- Span at DBFS+3: 20/20
- dpMeter: 23/20
- youlean loudness meter: 23/20

So it seems that RMS should be as @Case said - lower by 3 (or third option: -3).
Peak seem OK but one strange thing that your component also shows 17 as peak when +3 while all others show 20 no matter if +3 or not.
OK. I fold. ;-)

Reply #757
But the Peaks seem OK to me (by eye), those also seemed OK from the beginning. Only two or three version from a few days ago seemed wrong and now it seems OK again with music (and weird with this one test file but only with +3 which should not change peaks as it is supposed to recalibrate RMS only).

I again propose to implement text peak values as it would make the comparison with other meters easier. Other meter usually show the max value of the track up to the present point (the highest value reached from the beginning of the track to "now") and not the actual momentary value.

Reply #758
But the Peaks seem OK to me (by eye), those also seemed OK from the beginning. Only two or three version from a few days ago seemed wrong and now it seems OK again with music (and weird with this one test file but only with +3 which should not change peaks as it is supposed to recalibrate RMS only).

I again propose to implement text peak values as it would make the comparison with other meters easier. Other meter usually show the max value of the track up to the present point (the highest value reached from the beginning of the track to "now") and not the actual momentary value.
See the screenshots from the quick hack above. I never expected this to be more difficult than the curve representation of the spectrum...

Reply #759
Hello pqyt
I have detected an anomaly in the latest version. If you enable Leds in Peak Meter mode (Image1) and mark Left and Right (Image2) it does it correctly, but if you disable Left and Right (Image3) only the Left channel is displayed. In the previous version it did it correctly.

Apparently you missed this message:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,125031.msg1043133.html#msg1043133

Just download and install the newest version 0.7.6.1.

Reply #760
Ok
Thank you