Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Considering FLAC... (Read 9476 times) previous topic - next topic

Considering FLAC...

Reply #25
Hi guys,

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll add to this one (found via search).

I'm currently ripping my 700 cd collection to FLAC using EAC.
Then I'll use foobar or a script, to encode to LAME a-p-s, or OGG-6 (haven't decided yet).  I may end up doing both eventually

I have two noob questions:

1. does replaygain info survive en/transcoding?  If I replaygain the FLAC's, and then oggenc, or lame-encode them, will the replaygain info survive as metatags into the new ogg/mp3 file? 
OR, should I do the conversion to ogg/mp3 first, and then run vorbisgain/replaygain on the resulting encoded files?

2. is there any way to know whether there's replaygain info in a flac/mp3/ogg file?  I tried running ogginfo on a file, but didn't see anything there.

Thanks,
-John

Considering FLAC...

Reply #26
RG info will not survive transcoding

Foobar2000 will show RG info
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Considering FLAC...

Reply #27
1. does replaygain info survive en/transcoding?  If I replaygain the FLAC's, and then oggenc, or lame-encode them, will the replaygain info survive as metatags into the new ogg/mp3 file? 
OR, should I do the conversion to ogg/mp3 first, and then run vorbisgain/replaygain on the resulting encoded files?

The replaygain info can by copied over easily (I do it with oggdropXP) but it won't be *exactly* the same as a newly calculated replaygain using the new file. The difference will be small enough that it shouldn’t be perceivable during playback though (nothing to worry about IMO).

Considering FLAC...

Reply #28
Thanks guys.

I'll plan on doing a big gain-setting session *after* encoding, just to be safe.

Cheers,
-John