Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Most reliable lossless/v. high bitrate lossy format for arch (Read 4750 times) previous topic - next topic

Most reliable lossless/v. high bitrate lossy format for arch

Hi
I was wondering what is the best encoder for fitting about 4 albums in a 700 MB CD-R and to keep it as losslessly as possible?
Thx

~Dologan

Reply #1
I would try Monkey Extra High and see if it fits.

Reply #2
Or, for lossy, use MPC Insane.

john33

Reply #3
MPC "--insane --nmt 16 --tmn 32" should do the trick. 5, 6 albums per CD, and outstanding sound quality (for a lossy codec).

edit: from encoder version 0.90s on, the commands are prefixed with "--" instead of "-".

Reply #4
I'm unclear as to what exactly "nmt" and "tmn" do, and the help file didn't seem to shed any real light...
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Reply #5
Would this setting be enough for re-encoding to decent sounding MP3 or OGG afterwards?

Reply #6
Originally posted by Amadeus93
I'm unclear as to what exactly "nmt" and "tmn" do, and the help file didn't seem to shed any real light...

"-nmt xy" adjusts the so-called SMR for assumed "noise-like" (non-tonal) signals, and "-tnm xy" defines the SMR for assumed "tonal-like" (sinusoidal) signals.

SMR means "signal-to-mask ratio", which is the "space" between the maximum level of loudness and the threshold of allowed noise. During the encoding process, a specific amount of noise is introduced, but this noise is not audible if the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) can be kept higher than the SMR. SMR defines perceptual importance, so to speak... i.e., the higher -nmt and -tnm, the less unwanted noise is allowed.

In -insane, the nmt value is set to 9 dB by default, and the tnm value to 24 dB. You may even raise it some more than -nmt 16 -tmn 32, to get only 4 albums on one CD, but that wouldn't make sense anymore... you should go lossless then. With "-insane -nmt 16 -tmn 32" you should already have bitrates of more or less 300 kbit sometimes..

Originally posted by dologan
Would this setting be enough for re-encoding to decent sounding MP3 or OGG afterwards?

Most definitely. But as you know, it's always better to re-rip than to re-encode...

Reply #7
Originally posted by CiTay
Most definitely. But as you know, it's always better to re-rip than to re-encode...

Well, hopefully Vorbis has that bitrate peeling in there, so all we'll have to do is go "oggpeel -q 4.00 foo.ogg -o bar.ogg" with those -q 9.00 that people are probably ripping right now.

Reply #8
Originally posted by CiTay

You may even raise it some more than -nmt 16 -tmn 32, to get only 4 albums on one CD, but that wouldn't make sense anymore... you should go lossless then. With "-insane -nmt 16 -tmn 32" you should already have bitrates of more or less 300 kbit sometimes..

Lossless is no good. It only gets compressed to about 60% and that would only be enough for about 2 albums.
I guess I play with the nmt and tmn values so that I get the 700 MB I want to fit everything in. Or maybe simply burn it losslessly in two or three CDs. 
Thank you for your help, CiTay.

~Dologan

Reply #9
Lossless is no good. It only gets compressed to about 60% and that would only be enough for about 2 albums.
Why not just use two CDs? They're what - like a dime each? So you're spending a nickle per album to archive them PERFECTLY. Why even risk artifacts for a lousy nickle?

Reply #10
Not to mention that this is assuming that every CD is ~60 minutes.  2 60 min. CDs would fit comfortably within 680 MB at 40% compression.

Then again, the CD I'm listening to now is 72 min, so it might not be a bad assumption.