Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Old] Vorbis Streamer (foo_vorbisstream) (Read 133237 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Old] Vorbis Streamer (foo_vorbisstream)

Reply #75
There is one problem with this component in my specific usage scenario. I'm using different DSP chains depending on whether I listen with speakers or headphones. When listening with speakers I mix everything down to stereo but when listening with headphones I use the Dolby Headphone component to simulate a 5.1 system for 5.1 material. In that case I don't want to mix the material down to stereo. The problem is that the Vorbis Streamer cannot handle 5.1 (and maybe other non-stereo formats as well) properly. I could use the component after Dolby Headphone but I only want to stream a normal stereo signal because I don't know which type of equipment a potential listener uses and Dolby Headphone would only be adequate for headphone listening. Therefore I need Vorbis Streamer to properly recognize and process 5.1 material. The best solution would seem that Vorbis Streamer itself would mix the material down to stereo, unless foobar2000 got a DSP system with multiple parallel signal paths.

Reply #76
I actually haven't used my own component in months, so I haven't really been motivated to work on it.

I recommend seeing if you can make foo_upnp fulfill your needs. It can perform a lot of the same functions, plus it is not lossy.

Reply #77
*I* could (in fact I have it installed), but I wouldn't want to make it publicly available. Also I would have to use foobar2000 on other PCs to access it. A streaming server like Icecast is the most compatible solution, especially if used with MP3.

Reply #78
I've been using this plugin for a short while, and it seems to function on the whole pretty well!  However, I seem to have stumbled across something:

When a new track starts on the stream, it stutters and skips a small section of the track (usually about 0.5 to 2 seconds) from the beginning.  The behaviour is the same regardless of whether the track switches naturally (one ends leading to another), or if I double-click a track in the playlist.

I'm using Foobar2000 1.0.0 on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Vorbis Streamer 1.1.  The skipping problem occurs on VLC for Windows and Mac, and in Quicktime Player on the Mac (with the Xiph decoder).

I've been doing some testing with a friend, and if I may, we have a couple of observations:

• In Quicktime, the Inspector window lists the format of the stream (e.g. "Xiph (Ogg-framed) Vorbis, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz").  This is fine, except that each time a new track plays, it adds another entry.  It's as if the stream rapidly ends and starts again.
  • If you attempt to listen to the stream in Firefox, it works (awesome!) until the track changes, where Firefox stops streaming.  Again, this might suggest the stream signifies that it ends (when it doesn't).  Just before the stream stops, you catch a tiny bit of the following track.

Might this have something to do with the fact that Vorbis Stream is a DSP?  But I'd be amazed if someone hadn't noticed this sooner, so this might be a bug that's appeared as a result of the foobar update.

Thanks for the great plug-in in any case.  It's brought my personal radio stream much closer to being totally OSS! =D

Plugins I have installed:
Code: [Select]
Core (2010-01-09 11:47:00)
foobar2000 core 1.0
foo_albumlist.dll (2010-01-09 11:44:46)
Album List 4.4
foo_cdda.dll (2010-01-09 11:44:42)
CD Audio Decoder 3.0
foo_converter.dll (2010-01-09 11:44:32)
Converter 1.4
foo_dsp_std.dll (2010-01-09 11:44:48)
Standard DSP Array 1.0
foo_fileops.dll (2010-01-09 11:43:32)
File Operations 2.1.2
foo_freedb2.dll (2010-01-09 11:43:34)
freedb Tagger 0.6.2
foo_input_std.dll (2010-01-09 11:44:24)
Standard Input Array 1.0
foo_midi.dll (2010-01-12 16:34:14)
MIDI synthesizer host 1.96
foo_pqview.dll (2008-03-11 19:02:54)
Playback Queue Viewer 0.2
foo_rgscan.dll (2010-01-09 11:44:24)
ReplayGain Scanner 2.0.9
foo_ui_columns.dll (2010-01-09 14:40:28)
Columns UI 0.3.8.3
foo_ui_std.dll (2010-01-09 11:44:52)
Default User Interface 0.9.5
foo_uie_playlists_dropdown.dll (2009-09-24 00:44:46)
Playlists Dropdown 0.7.6
foo_unpack.dll (2010-01-09 11:43:20)
RAR reader 1.3
ZIP/GZIP reader 1.0
foo_vorbisstream.dll (2010-01-10 01:08:22)
Vorbis Streamer 1.1

[!--sizeo:1--][span style=\"font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\"][!--/sizeo--]Moderation: Codeboxed.[/size]

Reply #79
I found this component several days ago, actually I knew few about ogg vorbis before, but I like to listen online radio by FB2000.
Yesterday I installed this plug-in and tried to run it. It runs good and no crashes happen, and I still have several small questions to ask.

i) If I stop the icecast2 server, FB2000 player will become slow response, such as the channel spectrum will delay and overlap, interface dragging will  react slowly, and it 'll become normal when start the server. If I want to stop the icecast server and hope the player response normally, I have to dis-active this plug-in. The player seems to be kidnapped by this component. Is there any way to stop the server without disable the plug-in?

ii) I'm not sure when we play the songs which bitrate better than the vorbis(I don't know if this idea is right), is it necessary to open the icecast server?especially FLAC, APE and other high quality music on the HDD? And how can I do if I want to play the online radio with foo_vorbisstream and play the songs on the HDD without this plug-in? It'll be nice if there comes a switcher to do this job automatically.

iii) The Icecast interface is so ugly, and is it impossible to embed the dialog box into the component?

Thank you for your sharing this amazing work, and let me know more about encoder.

Reply #80
This looks promising! There doesn't seem to be an option to turn off song titles like in edcast though? I want to use this to stream to my Networked Media Tank, which would go haywire with edcast's titles. I must admit I haven't tested with foo_vorbisstream yet though...

Reply #81
Metadata support is part of the Vorbis spec. If your device does not support (or at least ignore) them, it is broken.

If there is no Icecast server to connect to, the component causes UI slowness. This is a somewhat intentional "bug" that is meant to strongly suggest to you that you disable the DSP when there is no server. I will likely change it when I start work on this component again.

According to foobar2000, foo_vorbisstream produces Vorbis files that validate and contain no errors. I don't care to fix bugs in other software. I can barely be bothered to fix the bugs in this one.  I suggest that if bugs in other software packages bother you, you report them to the author of that program. To the best of my awareness, foo_vorbisstream produces valid Vorbis streams.

I can't really decypher exactly what joelzhao is asking so I can't answer.

Reply #82
Being a programmer myself, I totally see your point. However, this does mean I'm stuck with edcast. Moreover, audio streaming doesn't seem to be a priority for the NMT guys, so while I do agree that it's their fault, I don't think they'll be fixing this soon.

Are you sure even a quick hack to turn off metadata is out of the question? I imagine it'd basically boil down to commenting out a few lines... Pretty please with cherries on top?

Reply #83
If you're truly a programmer yourself, this should be an easy fix.

I haven't had a properly set-up foobar2000 development box in a while. I need to sit down and actually get it all set up one of these days, but it might be put off until VS2010 RTMs.

Reply #84
Well, yeah, I just took a look at the code and it seems doable. I have no idea about dependencies though. Do I need anything apart from the foobar2000 SDK, libogg and libvorbis? Thanks.

Reply #86
Thanks. I managed to compile the component and load it in foobar2000. However, when I click the Configure button, I get a blank dialog window, followed by the configuration dialog with an empty "Basic Settings" tab. In debug mode, I get a few assertion failures. I noticed that the code is for 1.0 beta 2, so I tried to throw in the 1.1 code, but that broke linkage. I usually write Java, so I'm at a loss here. Any pointers? No pun intended.

Reply #87
Never mind, I got 1.1 to compile by commenting out the calls to EnableThemeDialogTexture. The UI doesn't seem to be affected by this. Next, I commented out
Code: [Select]
vorbis_analysis_wrote(&g->vd, 0);
ogg_encode_dataout(g);
initializeencoder(g);

in Edcast.cpp, and that seems to have turned off metadata without any other consequences. Thanks for the help!

Those interested can find the resulting DLL in this archive. Use it at your own risk.

Reply #88
where is accplus encoder?

Reply #89
Try Google? Regardless, this component encodes streams to Vorbis, not AAC+.

Reply #90
possible to use lancer libraries to reduce the load on the cpu and personal use?

Reply #91
Does foo_vorbisstream work with shoutcast streaming?

Also, how to I use it? I've filled in the info and it doesn't have any way to connect to the server to stream.

Reply #92
I guess it's safe to assume that there's never going to be LameEnc (mp3) support at this point.

Reply #93
Well, it is called Vorbis Streamer.

Reply #94
Current version works perfectly for me. I may update it at some point in the unspecified future, but there's something bigger I have to do first.

Reply #95
nevertheless, this plugin is very useful and looks stable.

i also tested it last night with mp3-streams, and it worked so far without any errors.
so i'll do a lont-time-test next week, would be great if mp3 works

cheers

Reply #96
i failed at setting this up or something because it's not working for me. to connect to my own stream i used mpc-hc and used http://localhost:8000/stream.ogg
it can't be the firewall since i disabled that. what could it be?

Reply #97
Are you running an Icecast server?

Reply #98
yes. something does go wrong since mpc-hc does not immediately fail. it wait 5 seconds then fails.

is this really this hard to set up or am i just failing hard...

i tried setting the port to a different value and changing localhost to 127.0.0.1 as well as changing the name of the .ogg file. nothing is working.

Reply #99
Canar, mate, I need your help, check your PM please!