Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

UI

Default UI
[ 30 ] (69.8%)
Column UI
[ 13 ] (30.2%)
Others
[ 0 ] (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Topic: Which one is better - Default UI vs Columns UI? (Read 8416 times) previous topic - next topic

Which one is better - Default UI vs Columns UI?

I'm just curious, which one is better: default UI or column UI?? (Note: I'm running Windows 10 Home)

I like how I can edit in default UI but it don't have $rgb, images in playlist, support of larger buttons...
if I move to column UI some of the features would not be available like some of visualizations (Spectogram, Oscilloscope) and the their spectrum is not really nice, plus using >>text<< in status bar doesn't highlight as expected...

so, I want to ask the question so that I can decide to stay on default UI or move to column UI, the other components I use are supported in both UI (WSH Panel Mod, foo_w7shell, foo_uie_lyrics3, foo_audioscrobbler etc)
(I did search for thread like this but the thread is too old, dated in 2008, things might change in years)

For now, I'm in default UI and this is the screenshot:

Reply #1
If I cared about themes and skins I would've used MusicBee or something else.

Reply #2
I'm just curious, which one is better: default UI or column UI?? (Note: I'm running Windows 10 Home)

I like how I can edit in default UI but it don't have $rgb, images in playlist, support of larger buttons...
if I move to column UI some of the features would not be available like some of visualizations (Spectogram, Oscilloscope) and the their spectrum is not really nice, plus using >>text<< in status bar doesn't highlight as expected...

so, I want to ask the question so that I can decide to stay on default UI or move to column UI, the other components I use are supported in both UI (WSH Panel Mod, foo_w7shell, foo_uie_lyrics3, foo_audioscrobbler etc)
(I did search for thread like this but the thread is too old, dated in 2008, things might change in years)

You can have images in playlist in DUI: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_simplaylist
Or you can use Br3tt WSH playlist.
You can use WSH buttons if you want larger.
So i don't see point to move to CUI if this is all what you need.

I used CUI for years, and i find that DUI is better and easier  for customizations, unless you need to change every part of player...

Reply #3
As I recall the only reason I'm using CUI is the ability to give custom colors to certain texts, and the ability to show images in a (simple, ) non wsh-based playlist viewer.

Major downside is being unable to use the component Facets, which is far superior to CUI Filter panels.

That's about it.

Reply #4
^EsPlaylist supports $rgb if you want it in default UI.

Reply #5
If I cared about themes and skins I would've used MusicBee or something else.

I have been using foobar2000 for a long time and I don't want to use other players, MusicBee etc, though thanks for suggesting that.

You can have images in playlist in DUI: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_simplaylist
Or you can use Br3tt WSH playlist.
You can use WSH buttons if you want larger.

oh, there's existed component that support images in playlist in [acronym title='Default User Interface']DUI[/acronym]?? I must use that!!
and time to search for some good WSH button script example...

As I recall the only reason I'm using CUI is the ability to give custom colors to certain texts, and the ability to show images in a (simple, ) non wsh-based playlist viewer.

Major downside is being unable to use the component Facets, which is far superior to CUI Filter panels.

oh, I see. From the tone of your writing, it seems like you're regret to use CUI?

^EsPlaylist supports $rgb if you want it in default UI.

I download it now!

Thanks for your replies, everyone...
I'll stay on DUI and make further edits!

Reply #6
default UI + [Removed].

Reply #7
after I figure out the DUI, I'll consider learning the CUI ;~)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #8
I've not felt the need to use Columns UI since the DUI was updated in 0.9.5.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #9

Your sentence... somehow implying "CUI is for advanced user whereas DUI is for general user"... 

I've not felt the need to use Columns UI since the DUI was updated in 0.9.5.

Oh, I see. I guess I will stick to DUI...

===
EsPlaylist is quite hard to configure but SimPlaylist is quite easy...
And SimPlaylist works as expected, thanks for suggestion, @mire777
I'm still searching for WSH panel code to make buttons (though I've reserved space for it)

I'm also looking for a component to display custom icon in taskbar notification area (aka system tray) that depending on track status (playing, paused, stopped)
There's one component I found that can do that but it's banned component (I didn't write its name here) so I want to look for allowed component...
(I don't think it's banned because of displaying the icons as foo_advancedcontrols also displays its own skinned icon at that area, instead it might be banned because it can change window size, disable sizing, main window frame style etc...)

For now, here's my foobar2000 window:

Reply #10
I have been using foobar2000 for a long time and I don't want to use other players, MusicBee etc, though thanks for suggesting that.

Sorry, it wasn't a suggestion, I meant DUI 100%. I don't like to install/use/add anything I don't need.

Reply #11
The best one is the one that suits you. I started using couple of CUI only components recently and ESPlaylist works OK as a library viewer, no need for facets. BTW check this out, very hacky, only fixed dimensions so I won't be using it anyway but NGplaylist transparency is possible  although with !not recommended! component:

Reply #12

Your sentence... somehow implying "CUI is for advanced user whereas DUI is for general user"... 

Not necessarily, but one has to start somewhere. I've been using Foobar for years and I still do not understand or use every feature of the default user interface, yet. The DUI suffices for my needs so far, which are more management and less customization.

My current DUIs
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #13
I don't think that either DUI or CUI is actually better than the other. For me it is what is more suited to my needs and currently that is CUI.

I did though use DUI for many years until this year when I made the change. I have found for my specific needs it is much easier to customize the look of foobar with CUI.

My current layout is this. It isn't much different to the screenshot I posted in the CUI gallery thread a few months back. I do want to make some more  changes to it but don't have time currently.

Re: Which one is better - Default UI vs Columns UI?

Reply #14
Wow! What a great looking UI!! Could you share your settings?

Re: Which one is better - Default UI vs Columns UI?

Reply #15
Neither DUI nor CUI lets you desingn the look & feel without compromises. You pick the one that gives you the more of what you are after while not getting too much in the way.

In terms of functionality, for me the DUI comes close enough. I don't feel restricted as far as the choice of components supporting the functionality I want is concerned. The tradeoff is look & feel of the entire application which is more restricted. In particular the design choice of reusing some of the standard Windows controls is impacting our ability to design slick looking user interfaces.

CUI does not have this problem to that extent, but the penalty is that a lot of stuff needs to be hand crafted. Fb2k generally has the weakness of requiring more configuration than a typical user can take. CUI takes this to the extreme, especially if one wants a slick looking and feature rich interface.

Those comfortable with a bit of coding and graphics design can take either UI quite far, but I feel that some of the operations are much harder than they need to be.