Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC artifact (Read 6991 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC artifact

So when i was choosing what format to save most of my experimental music collection on my mp3 player i came across this on one album. so far it seems to only happen on apple AAC while other formats including mp3 seem to be fine.

AAC artifact

Reply #1
You should post the original lossless source. People can then encode the file themselves and compare the two.

AAC artifact

Reply #2
You should post the original lossless source. People can then encode the file themselves and compare the two.
i edited my op so now there will be a flac version as well.

AAC artifact

Reply #3
[attachment=8185:Test.png]

It even looks odd with AAC if you compare it to other formats. But it seems to suddenly disappear with high bitrates.
I used around 192 kbps for every file.

AAC artifact

Reply #4
What is the nasty artifact supposed to sound like? I don't hear anything wrong. The hole in the spectrum is perfectly masked by the super loud tone.

AAC artifact

Reply #5
What is the nasty artifact supposed to sound like? I don't hear anything wrong. The hole in the spectrum is perfectly masked by the super loud tone.
To me it sounds like its struggling to properly produce the high pitch sound because when i tried it at 128k its gone. but at 192k its there but with allot crackly artifacts and when i tried it at 320k it sounds fine with no problems. but when i tried with other formats and the fhg aac encoder they all sound fine even at 128k.

AAC artifact

Reply #6
You can find enough reports about how  encoders of different lossy formats can have some difficult samples even at high bitrates. That's pretty much in line with my experience as well. Lately there were few samples with artifacts those I could spot on FhG and QAAC encodes at 256 kbps VBR (and some other lossy formats, offtopic here).

There isn't much to do but increase bitrate untill it's [near to be] transparent. Welcome to the club.

AAC artifact

Reply #7
You can find enough reports about how  encoders of different lossy formats can have some difficult samples even at high bitrates. That's pretty much in line with my experience as well. Lately there were few samples with artifacts those I could spot on FhG and QAAC encodes at 256 kbps VBR (and some other lossy formats, offtopic here).

There isn't much to do but increase bitrate untill it's [near to be] transparent. Welcome to the club.
i pretty much switched to vorbis since after a few tests(and incuding this thread) i find -q5 to be fully transparent to my ears. also thanks for the welcome.