Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WAV PCM 16128kbps, 24 bits, 96 Khz, 7 Channels (Read 7234 times) previous topic - next topic

WAV PCM 16128kbps, 24 bits, 96 Khz, 7 Channels

Hi folks

I record some project for my Band with sound card audigy2 zs in WAV PCM 16128kbps, 24 bits, 96 Khz, 7 Channels

And I just wondering how to convert em to Ogg or AAC or Wma or AC3 or even making a DVD Audio...

Many Thanks

lol The size of a 6 mins song in that format is ~ 800 MB and it sound amazing !
My Favorite Lame Preset

--alt-preset fast insane

Reply #1
Aac should support that. You could try Nero for encoding. Wma pro supports only 6 channels.

Reply #2
i wonder if there is already a tool which supports 7channels?

wma multichannel only works on winxp btw (whereas aac works on all systems including linux and mac)
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #3
An AAC encoder allowing 96 KHz sampling rate on its input ? Are you really sure here folks ?

Reply #4
An AAC encoder allowing 96 KHz sampling rate on its input ? Are you really sure here folks ?

Yes

actually all samplerates between 0 and infinity are possible.

Menno

Reply #5
compaact will input and output at 96kHz...

I don't know about Nero AAC, but I assume menno's comment means it will.  Compaact will only do six channels, so it's out of the question.  I'm not sure how many Nero will do (although technically it should be able to do 48 audio channels and 15 LFE channels, I don't think it's possible with the current encoder).

Reply #6
compaact! allows only 6 channels (input and output) because of the whole input output routing stuff. Otherwise 48 channels would be now problem...
It allows any sample rate at input and samplerates between 8kHz and 96kHz at output. IMO, higher sample freqs would not make sense with the standard.

@Opeth:
What does seven channels mean, 6.1? If it's a non standardized format, how do you plan to play it with any decoder? If you plan to make a DVD Audio, is there really a seven channel format supported?

And, just because I didn't understand, why did you record with 96kHz if you plan to encode it afterwards?

Best regards,
Alexander

Reply #7
Aac should support that. You could try Nero for encoding. Wma pro supports only 6 channels.

only 6 channels? 

Am I wrong if I assume Windows Media Audio 9 Professional 768 Kbps, 96 kHz, 7.1 Channel 24 bit CBR has 8 channels?

@Alexander Lerch,
I got the same doubt. However there are 6.1 Speakers (7 channels) so I suppose it is not non-standard.

Reply #8

only 6 channels? 

Am I wrong if I assume Windows Media Audio 9 Professional 768 Kbps, 96 kHz, 7.1 Channel 24 bit CBR has 8 channels?

@Alexander Lerch,
I got the same doubt. However there are 6.1 Speakers (7 channels) so I suppose it is not non-standard.

At least my copy Windows Media Encoder doesn't like to encode 7 channel sound.

Edit: I found it now but it is phucking CBR only!

Reply #9
@Alexander Lerch,

Hmm,

I am really not sure about DVD-A. I only know 5.1 DVD-A's. I am not aware of any commercial 6.1 music-only productions, and I think 6.1 is more a cinema system. But even there: Dolby 6.1 consists IIRC only of 6 discrete channels in the bitstream. The center surround is matrixed into left and right surround.

Correct me if I'm wrong. And if you know any 6.1 music procductions, please let me know.

Alexander

Reply #10
Ogg Vorbis is NOT tuned or samplerates >48KHz.  FLAC will do 24-bit/1048570 Hz (~1048 KHz)/8-channel max (theoreticly it could go to 32/2^20/256-channel but the reference encoder only supports the before-mentioned max) so you should be good with that.  Also AC3 will NOT do 7.1 encoding.  You can use Dolby Digital EX matrixing to get 6.1 or you could use DTS ES matrixing to get 7.1 sound however it'd cost a fortune to encode in either of those because you'd have to pay Dolby Labs or [whoever owns DTS] to do the encoding/matrixing for you.