Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Are there results for high bitrate AAC vs. WMA? (Read 9039 times) previous topic - next topic

Are there results for high bitrate AAC vs. WMA?

can anyone point me to a thread or info page where comparisons are done between itunes' AAC encoder and wmp's WMA encoder ?

looking to compare the quality of these 2 formats in the upper bitrates (215 +)

Reply #1
can anyone point me to a thread or info page where comparisons are done between itunes' AAC encoder and wmp's WMA encoder ?

WMA Standard or WMA Pro?
Anyway, at 200+ kbps both AAC and WMA can be transparent most of the time. For example: Multiformat Listening Test at ~140 kbps

Reply #2

WMA Standard or WMA Pro?
Anyway, at 200+ kbps both AAC and WMA can be transparent most of the time. For example: Multiformat Listening Test at ~140 kbps

well, that's one of the things i aim to iron out....wma pro does not offer the high-bit rates i am looking for, but wma vbr does.

i will look at that article, thank you.

Reply #3
My impression from people's comments (and I have done no testing myself) is that wma pro achieves transparency below its maximum bitrate but that wma standard can be problematic even at high bitrates. OTOH there is very little support for wma pro other than in windows.

Reply #4
Not sure about formal tests, but the informal web discussions I've seen have a severe fault in that they never use the 2-pass mode of WMA (std or pro).  For me (opinion alert), WMA std 2-pass vbr peak achieves transparency at 128~135kbsp.