Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates (Read 148713 times) previous topic - next topic
sacduser and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates

Reply #375
The WebP support depends on Windows support as well, as far as I know.

Not quite. fb2k bundles it's own copy of libwebp (there is a dll in the install folder which gives it away). Presumably it's built from this...

https://github.com/webmproject/libwebp

There is no dependency on the OS so it works on Windows 7/8/8.1 which doesn't have webp support built in.

Columns UI has a different implementation using WIC (windows imaging component) which does depend on OS support. Details here:

https://github.com/reupen/columns_ui/releases/tag/v1.4.0-beta.1

IIUC, Columns can display other <insert exotic formats here>, if there are WIC decoders available.

Reply #376
Hi everyone, I just discovered that PPHS resampler has been replaced with libretro in 1.6.6.

What about r8brain (free) wich claims:
The SRC algorithm at first produces 2X oversampled (relative to the source sample rate, or the destination sample rate if the downsampling is performed) signal, then performs interpolation using a bank of short (8 to 30 taps, depending on the required precision) polynomial-interpolated sinc function-based fractional delay filters. This puts the algorithm into the league of the fastest among the most precise SRC algorithms. The more precise alternative being only the whole number-factored SRC, which can be slower.

https://github.com/avaneev/r8brain-free-src

Talking about quality,  there's alto an interesting project called Oversimple that wraps two of the best resampling libraries available (r8brain and HIIR):

https://github.com/unevens/oversimple

Last but not least, I've also coolected some other resources here:

https://github.com/forart/HyMPS/blob/main/AudioRES.md

Hope that inspires !
Hybrid Multimedia Production Suite will be a platform-indipendent open source suite for advanced audio/video contents production.
Official git: https://www.forart.it/HyMPS/

Reply #377
Columns UI has a different implementation using WIC (windows imaging component) which does depend on OS support. Details here:

https://github.com/reupen/columns_ui/releases/tag/v1.4.0-beta.1

IIUC, Columns can display other <insert exotic formats here>, if there are WIC decoders available.
Strange, because I already have some early version of windows imaging component for jxl installed. It works for explorer thumbnails and this basic windows photo viewer, but foobar is blank. I checked both columns UI playlist thumbnails and artwork view panel - all empty for jxl while webp works just fine.

Reply #378
Resume playback after queue

I'd like to have an option for the playback to go back to its place from before the queue was created. That is, if I add an item to an empty queue and after some time the queue ends, the program should play the track after the one which was playing when I added that first item to the queue.

For example, say I've got 10 tracks in the playlist. Track 04 is playing. I'm enqueueing Track 07 and Track 09. After 04 ends, 07 starts playing, followed by 09 and all is well. But then with the current queue behavior Track 10 starts playing. I want it to go back to the previous order and play Track 05.

Also, in a perfect world: If I manually play a track while the queue is playing, the track after that manually played track should play when the queue ends. And if that "proper" track is removed from the playlist in the meantime, the track after that should play (or if there's nothing after that the playback should stop). In short, the program should remember the position and the playlist index to which it should go back.

I realize I could use some workarounds like "Playback follows cursor" or enqueueing that track to the end of the queue, but these are tedious methods and require my (almost) constant attention. I'd like an option to make it automatic.

Reply #379
I'd like to have an option for the playback to go back to its place from before the queue was created.
Right now the playback queue works exactly as one would expect - it keeps playing in line with the last thing queued. I wouldn't want it to go back to the "beginning", wherever that is - I want it to go where I told it to go and stay there. I often use the queue to change playlists, sometimes several times over the course of a queue.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #380
I'd like to have an option for the playback to go back to its place from before the queue was created.
Right now the playback queue works exactly as one would expect - it keeps playing in line with the last thing queued. I wouldn't want it to go back to the "beginning", wherever that is - I want it to go where I told it to go and stay there. I often use the queue to change playlists, sometimes several times over the course of a queue.
Well, that's not the way I would expect it to work, so clearly that's not true for everybody. The way I described it is how the queue used to work in Winamp and how it does in Spotify. There is more than one way and different people have different expectations and purposes they use the queue for. I never use it as you described it - when I enqueue something is when I want to hear a song right away but without disturbing the current playlist. Besides, I'm not proposing to make it the only way or the default way for the queue to work, just an option.

Reply #381
CarPlay support would be awesome, since it becomes more and more popular around iPhone users. And since it is upgradable, superior to current in car infotainment systems.

Reply #382
I would like to have an option to mass update tags by regex like it's done in Total Commander for file names. Automatic fill from file names or other field is great but is not always convenient.

Reply #383
Hi.

Please add (update) the ability to process the title of the current song - read from an online stream / internet radio.

Although Foobar2k gets the name of the song and artist from the online stream, the parameters in Foobar2k are not usable - e.g. in the script, when searching for a song on YouTube - I think like with the help of a script in Foobar2k, when opening a web-browser also with the parameters %title% and %artist%.

This problem, when the artist/title of the song obtained does not exists in the case of online radio (online stream), has already been mentioned somewhere on this discussion forum.

Thanks.

Reply #385
The track-title field in Android should be made to scroll. A lot of classical tracks are useless (the title of the piece can take up all the space) without scrolling text.

Reply #386
I would like to see much better integration for DSD play as it is done now. At the moment the configuration of DSD capability is very complex and comprises the installation of several drivers. It would be a very good idea to integrate DSD replay under the same UI and make the usage of DSD easy. At the moment it is really pain in the neck ...

Reply #387
So, I have no idea if that's possible, or if anyone except myself would ever need this, but I wouldn't mind an option to set the peak value at which "prevent clipping according to ReplayGain peak" would work, so that it would pre-amp tracks to match, let's say, -6db peak, instead of 0db. Hard Limiter is there, I know, but wouldn't pre-amp be better if you don't use any DSPs except for re-sampler?

Reply #388
The Playlist Manager (and tabs) could be improved to grey out the right click rename/remove options if there are locks in place preventing those actions. The playlist view already respects this for crop/remove/paste etc.

Also, I noticed that when restoring a deleted playlist, the name becomes editable but that seems an odd action to trigger??

Reply #389
Random button for current playlist (Context menu?) Let me explain:

Sometimes I want to start playing on a new playlist with a random track before letting shuffle take over. However, when I hit the Random button, foobar selects a random track from the last playlist I was playing from instead of the one I am currently viewing. I believe a good workaround would be to add Random to the context menu for when you right-click a track, that way it will play a random track from your currently-viewed playlist. You could also customize the toolbar and replace the standard random button with the context menu random so it always operated like this if you want.

I understand I could just start playback on a track then click the random button, but that's really annoying and sometimes I don't want to hear anything else play before the first song I listen to fully.

Thank you.

Reply #390
However, when I hit the Random button, foobar selects a random track from the last playlist I was playing from instead of the one I am currently viewing.

I think you can enable Playback menu > 'Playback follows cursor' to make playback buttons work on current playlist. (Although that can interrupt playback order if selecting different tracks, since it plays the selected track next). Otherwise you can install Playlist Attributes and set global option Preferences > Tools > Playlist Attributes > Playback Settings > 'Playback on active playlist'.

Reply #391
Just tried listening to a 6.1 channel soundtrack and realised that foobar wasn't automatically downmixing audio to stereo. Which made me wonder if some of the strange listening experiences I've had weren't just odd production but perhaps down to the number of channels in the encoding.

Anyway. This uncertainty got me thinking. Is there any way for foobar to detect how many channels the active audio device has? Or is this assumed to be handled by the user at the driver/os level?

If you can tell a disparity between the file channels and audio interface channels then perhaps provide a popup warning that the user may want to add the appropriate downmixer/upmixer to the dsp stack.

And if it's considered idiomatic that multi-channel mixing is handled at the driver/os level rather than in playback applications then maybe have a popup anyway for non-stereo playback? "This file has 6.1 audio channels. If you're listening to this file on a stereo device then it is recommended you add the downmixer to the DSP stack. Would you like foobar to do this for you?" "Yes/No/Don't Ask Again"

Reply #392
However, when I hit the Random button, foobar selects a random track from the last playlist I was playing from instead of the one I am currently viewing.

I think you can enable Playback menu > 'Playback follows cursor' to make playback buttons work on current playlist. (Although that can interrupt playback order if selecting different tracks, since it plays the selected track next). Otherwise you can install Playlist Attributes and set global option Preferences > Tools > Playlist Attributes > Playback Settings > 'Playback on active playlist'.

I appreciate the help! Unfortunately, with the way I use foobar that would cause a lot more problems than it would solve for me. Better to be content with something mostly working than a complete mess with one thing working.

Reply #393
Just tried listening to a 6.1 channel soundtrack and realised that foobar wasn't automatically downmixing audio to stereo. Which made me wonder if some of the strange listening experiences I've had weren't just odd production but perhaps down to the number of channels in the encoding.

Anyway. This uncertainty got me thinking. Is there any way for foobar to detect how many channels the active audio device has? Or is this assumed to be handled by the user at the driver/os level?

If you can tell a disparity between the file channels and audio interface channels then perhaps provide a popup warning that the user may want to add the appropriate downmixer/upmixer to the dsp stack.

And if it's considered idiomatic that multi-channel mixing is handled at the driver/os level rather than in playback applications then maybe have a popup anyway for non-stereo playback? "This file has 6.1 audio channels. If you're listening to this file on a stereo device then it is recommended you add the downmixer to the DSP stack. Would you like foobar to do this for you?" "Yes/No/Don't Ask Again"
I just keep downmix to stereo on for most of my DSP presets. It doesn't change anything unless there are more than two channels.

Reply #394

In older foobar2000 the default downmixing was left to the OS, but with foobar2000 v1.6 the default output has automatic downmixing capabilities. As the interface was switched from DirectSound to WASAPI it became the program's responsibility to do the downmixing.

The DirectSound downmixing works/worked at least with all channel counts supported natively by the OS, though some audio devices seem to have weird drivers that break everything. I have tested it up-to 7.1 channel playback. Trying to play 22.2 channel material fails.

The WASAPI downmixer seems to be able to handle all regular channel numbers, but plays silence for special channels in the above mentioned 22.2 channel test file. I also noticed the default downmixer leaves lfe channel out from the stereo mix. DirectSound does not and I agree that it should be included.

If you wish to ensure downmixing, do as the replies suggested and add a downmixer DSP that always converts the signal to your speaker count. If you play more exotic material and/or wish to retain the lfe channel in the downmix, you could try my downmixer component.

Reply #395
Is it possible to add an automatic revert sample rate  of the used sound device to the  sample rate from the Windows control panel (or arbitrarily specified), when  Foobar closing?

Theoretically, for this is need to play several "empty" (or with a couple of least significant bits) buffers with the required sample rate.
If the card supports automatic switching, then it will remain with this (last played) sample rate.

Reply #396
$now() function

I often use autoplaylistes, containing similar syntax: %added% DURING LAST 26 WEEKS

My constant concern is, that the date of the performance's addition is malfunctioning. If i change the title of a song (for example, add a different language title to the end, in square brackets), the name of the file (for example " (mono)", when i noticed), the spelling of the artist, the track number, and so on, the song is considered new. And it is not. I know only one perfect solution: a custom %performation_added% date-time label, which i use. However, for now, only in a tables, playlistes. I could only use it in autoplaylistes (and searches), if i also had a NOW function, from which i can extract the date, the number of days elapsed.
(It would be all the more perfect in the form of a timestamp with the appropriate functions.)

Or, another variant: Advanced options >> "Fixed forever" ADDED data somehow. By file ID? Not the best: i may, for example, remove noise from a vinyl digitisation, when i have time -- the file will new. Maybe, option to store (only!) this one Playback Statistics data as a tag, in the file? (Not all those data, to avoid permanent overwrite of the tags.)

When editing tags, affected playback statistics records are transferred accordingly.
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Components/Playback_Statistics_v3.x_(foo_playcount)
Yes; but i maintain tags and filenames/paths mainly outside of foobar, in Mp3tag.

Reply #397
Anyone else feels like a %__bitrate_ex% that makes for exact 1411.2 or 705.6 (and for lazier difference lookup when comparing compression)?
Likely with a decimal point, to reduce confusion between bitrate 352.8 vs sample rate 352800.

Reply #398
Please, make actions for custom buttons as exactly configurable, as actions for keyboard shortcuts. Because currently behavior of custom buttons depends on state of option "Display->Selection viewers", that can be confusing - https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=121473.0

Reply #399
It would be nice to see sub-grouping functionality integrated into foobar, without requiring an outdated third-party component like SimPlaylist.
This feature can be very useful for separating multiple discs, classical works and such.