Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: .MP4 or .M4A? (Read 5338 times) previous topic - next topic

.MP4 or .M4A?

Some encoders use .mp4 while others use .m4a. I know .m4a can be safely renamed to .mp4, but I'd like to make clear which one is commonly used. Is there a standard? Renaming tires me. Thanks.

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #1
I would guess M4A, only because iTunes use it as default. RealPlayer 10 also uses M4A, and you can choose between MP4 or M4A when encoding in Compaact!

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #2
I think Nero is the only major encoder that doesn't have the option to use m4a.

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #3
Winamp 5.03 also uses M4A as the default extension for ripping AAC. So does iTunes and Real 10.

I'd go for .M4A
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #4
The files created by Winamp/Compaact/etc (except iTunes of course) aren't even correct m4a files, they all forget one thing.

Luckily for those encoders Apple's reader is not too strict.

Menno

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #5
of course it also has to be said that the extension defined in the mpeg-4 standard is .mp4
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #6
boohoo...
why is this such a big issue?
why so many threads about the same crap?

later

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #7
Ya, to a new user like me, it's really a confusing issue.

So, .m4a was introduced by Apple and has been used more and more commonly, but it's still not a standard name. Right?

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #8
use whatever works best for the intended device or player using them. I never touch .M4A here as .MP4 works fine on foobar and for my website downloads.

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #9
So, .m4a was introduced by Apple and has been used more and more commonly, but it's still not a standard name. Right?

well, according to some users here it's the only extension possible     
fact is that a whole bunch of widly used apps use m4a by default...
so you have to descide for yourself what suit you most. both possibilities have their pros and cons.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #10

That is correct.

In traditional mpeg extensions .mp4 (or .mpeg4) would be an extension for anything in an mpeg-4 wrapper, in this case bitstreams encoded in various versions of the AAC audio codec. Most correctly .m4a and .m4v would be reserved for raw mpeg-4 video or audio bitstreams respectively.

The muddying of the issue comes from the fact that the .mp4 extension doesn't tell the user exactly what is in the wrapper, so apple chose to adopt .M4A as a more informative (and therefore more useful) nameing convention, with raw streams having .AAC (or whatever)
Hip-hop looks like it's having more fun than you are - Chuck D

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #11
The files created by Winamp/Compaact/etc (except iTunes of course) aren't even correct m4a files, they all forget one thing.

Luckily for those encoders Apple's reader is not too strict.

What did they forget?

BTW, FAAC 1.24 uses M4A by default as well.

.MP4 or .M4A?

Reply #12
boohoo...
why is this such a big issue?
why so many threads about the same crap?

later

Because the search function is too easy to use?