Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Aqualung – Music player for GNU/Linux [gapless] (Read 10368 times) previous topic - next topic

Aqualung – Music player for GNU/Linux [gapless]

http://aqualung.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone tried this? (a search here did not return anything). I'm new to Linux (Ubuntu) and didn't have much luck. The debian package did not work and the Compiling page is too intimidating for me.

Reply #1
looks really promising! this one could be somethung for the debain section of rarewares...

Reply #2
I'm missing a bearded man with a flute standing on one leg as the mascot...

Reply #4
[...] btw, there is a debian package here: [...]

This was the first thing I tried, but it gives an error. :-( (Package may be corrupted or you may not have appropriate rights.) I redownloaded from various machines, but I'm still getting the same error.

Reply #5
I was the person who packaged that version of aqualung, and its very out of date now. (My version 0.170.0, the latest source vesion is 0.218.2)

Unfortunetly, I'm not using Debian or Ubuntu at the moment and unable to make a new package. If someone was willing to make a new package I'm sure the main developers, Tom/Peter/Tomasz would be more than happy to update it on their website.

There have been many new features and improvements added since, its definetly worth a try. Its a nice player.

Steve

Reply #6
(Package may be corrupted or you may not have appropriate rights.)

I got a similar error when trying to install the deb package in Ubuntu with gdebi. Had better luck from the terminal:

sudo dpkg -i
(put a space after the -i)

then drag the file onto the terminal (it's path will be entered into the terminal)

hit enter.

Then, if it tries to install, you'll probably have a few dependency issues to fix (missing libraries)...

{edit} stel made a good point about the pkg being old. It's probably very worthwhile to seek help with compiling the latest version (or finding someone else to do it). (I ditched it after <1 day...)

Reply #7
Thanks, stel and Cosmo :-) It seems I'll have to wait.

I'm now playing with MPD (with GMPC). I like the concept a lot, but the version on Ubuntu repositories can't play Musepack files, and does not support gapless playback for LAME files...

Audio apps on GNOME (and GNOME GUI apps in general) are a big disappointment for me. :-(

Reply #8
i've packaged it now with code from CVS and i'll upload it soon

later

Reply #9
Guys! This might be the player of my choice. Could you confirm that it works without Gnome? I use FVWM window manager.

Thanks,

Triza

Reply #10
Guys! This might be the player of my choice. Could you confirm that it works without Gnome? I use FVWM window manager.

It does work without gnome.
I use it on a barebones archlinux system using fluxbox.

Reply #12
apologies for not getting this package done sooner

...but i come bearing gifts - a fresh CVS build and a fancy libmodplug update to boot.

the debian menu item calls /usr/bin/aqualung -o alsa" so if you want crazier options you'll need to call them yerself (aqualung -h should help)

later

Reply #13
Just a report on xmixahlx's Aqualung package and Ubuntu 6.10 -- I know it is not for Ubuntu, but it was my only hope -- I have not learned how to compile yet :-)

Code: [Select]
aqualung:
  Depends: libasound2 (>1.0.12) but 1.0.11-7ubuntu3 is to be installed
  Depends: libfontconfig1 (>=2.4.0) but 2.3.2-7ubuntu2 is to be installed

Unresolved dependencies were many more in Ubuntu 6.06.

Thanks again for your help and your time, xmixahlx!

btw, I've been using Quod Libet for some time and I'm moderately satisfied with it. Its two main issues for me:

* No gapless, even for lossless formats (see GStreamer)
* Too much RAM with a library of about 20.000 files, and slow searching -- compared to foobar2000 :-)

Reply #14
Is it ID3v2.4 compatible?
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #15
Quod Libet? Yes, I think so. My .mp3 tags are ID3v2.4 and it seems to read them fine.

There is not much info in the program's page for now. It seems there was an accident and all backups were lost:

* http://sacredchao.net/quodlibet

Reply #16
Aside from gapless playback i don't see much else not provided elsewhere. Support for APEv2 replaygain tags being my most wanted feature...

Compiling is very simple and usually only involves ./configure ; make ; sudo make install _IF_ you have all the required libraries installed, and thats the annoying part... I don't think its worth it yet, maybe in later versions...

Suggestion for providing multi distro binary compiles: Simply build static files. Yes they might be big, but no dependencies. I'm puzzled how often people miss this.

Of course building packages for the major distros helps improve usage too.
She is waiting in the air

Reply #17
Quod Libet? Yes, I think so. My .mp3 tags are ID3v2.4 and it seems to read them fine.

Sorry, that may have been unclear, I meant Aqualung.

Is Aqualung ID3v2.4 compatible?

Reply #18
Looks like the newest version uses TagLib which does support id3v2.4.

Reply #19
Looks like the newest version uses TagLib which does support id3v2.4.

Ah, I seem to have missed it on their site. 

Thanks.

Reply #20
i just learned how to compile with aqualung...  its a very nice player; currently my player of choice.  it wasn't that hard to learn how to compile it either.

first you have to get the build-essential package.  then, i just ran the ./configure command in the extracted folder, watching the output carefully.  anything that it hard stops on search for in synaptic, referencing the aqualung compiling page for a better idea of package names (typically, you'll need the "normal" package, and the "dev" package).  after you get the packages you need installed, run ./configure  again, and if it doesn't hit any hard stops, it will give an output of which features you have the dependencies for.  again, search for and install the necessary packages in synaptic, and keep running ./configure until you get an output with all of the features that you will need/want.

then you can run the "make" command, and then "sudo make install"...  or, you can (as i did) install a package called "checkinstall," and then instead of sudo make install, you can run sudo checkinstall.  that will let you remove the package much easier at a later point using dpkg, if you want to.

good luck.  it may take alittle time, but aqualung is nice.  i'd recommend giving it a shot.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #21
Just installed Aqualung onto my Kubuntu box, first thoughts: very good. I'm a big foobar user on Windows, and Aqualung has all the features I use in foobar, and none I don't. The main obviously is gapless playback, still haven't thoroughly tested the gapless-ness of Aqualung but it seems good. Regarding the UI, it pretty much is how I have my foobar set up anyway so no problems there.

I'm going to test LAMIP too, but so far Aqualung seems pretty good for me

Reply #22
i'm about to switch to this cool stuff completely. only thing why i dont yet throw out audacious is the lack of last.fm support in aqualung

anyway, it is really useable at the moment, i have no bugs now (just things that should work differently). when i reported one, they fixed it quite fast

they plan to release the 1.0 version by the end of year or so

i proposed a few feature requests in the bugtracer:
- full screen mode
- last.fm (although they already have it in their roadmap)
- cuesheet support

these are the most missing ones