Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adjusting ReplayGain target level (Read 12961 times) previous topic - next topic

Adjusting ReplayGain target level

Reply #25
http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/faq_quiet.html
ReplayGain does exactly what it says it will do, to the best of "its" ability.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314858"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your reply.  I definitely understand why ReplayGain causes modern CDs to play at a lower level.  The solution it provides for these CDs is a great one, and is what has lead me to using ReplayGain.  The problem, again, is with an older (well-mastered) CD that was fine to begin with, and yet after ReplayGain is playing at a lower volume.  I realize I can try to figure out, for every album, the appropriate amound of preamp adjustment I need in order to restore it to something approximating its original levels...but that is extremely time consuming.

I guess what I'm suggesting is a new mode for ReplayGain...don't try to make everything play at 89db, just let everything play at its normal level unless there is a problem (and then only adjust it down by the necessary amount).

Reply #26
I guess what I'm suggesting is a new mode for ReplayGain...don't try to make everything play at 89db, just let everything play at its normal level unless there is a problem (and then only adjust it down by the necessary amount).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314933"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the "advanced limiter" is what you want. It does nothing to your music and only lowers amplitude just before clipping is detected. Replaygain doesn't seem to be what you want (and changing the conception to your needs doesn't make sense imho).

edit: perhaps "prevent clipping according to peak" in the playback preferences (i'm using 0.9) also does what you want

Reply #27
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314933"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

...how about just using *gasp* the volume knob?
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #28
[...how about just using *gasp* the volume knob?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314987"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #29
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The goal of Replaygain is to make all your music sound equally loud. In the case of what your suggesting, soft music should be amplified too much leading to serious clipping (as explained [a href="http://replaygain.hydrogenaudio.org/faq_quiet.html]here[/url]).

Foobar2000 has two volume sliders: one for songs with RG info and one for without. I just turned the "with RG info" slider up with 6 dB, works perfectly.

Reply #30
Yes, but I'm concerned about the case where I have an album that has been properly mastered.  In such a case, it seems like ReplayGain, which for this album probably shouldn't do anything, is causing me to turn up the volume to hear it at the same level that I would normally hear it at when not using ReplayGain
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=314850"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In that case, with a high probability it was *not* properly mastered. There are some exceptions with music which is naturally very saturated (ambient, shoegaze, etc.), but besides of those cases, a properly mastered album will not have an albumgain below -3db.

Other members already adressed the remaining points.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #31
a properly mastered album will not have an albumgain below -3db.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315187"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Isn't that a bit high? Most of my mp3's that are RG'ed at -3 to -6 dB and sound fine to me. It's MP3's with -8 dB or lower that really suffer from bad mastering, to my ears.

But maybe my "young" ears are spoiled by listening at too much popmusic. 

Maybe a bit off topic, but most of the audio that is ReplayGained at -8 or even -12 dB is from the US. I once heard that music coming from the US is often "bitpushed" that much because of AM radio, is that true?

Reply #32
a properly mastered album will not have an albumgain below -3db.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315187"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bit of an arbitrary value, isn't it?