Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Listening via Speakers using hifi seperates ? (Read 9548 times) previous topic - next topic

Listening via Speakers using hifi seperates ?

I noticed in the recent poll that many listen via speakers and wondered what sort of equipment was typical?

I've traditionally used closed back Sennheiser (low range) headphones and foobar2000 on desktop and phone but have some low end (about 100 euro/pound/dollar for each component ) hifi separates (Cambridge Audio amp and Wharfedale speakers) which I'd like to use again. I was wondering about a decent CD/FLAC player to use as a source and was looking at the Pioneer BDP-180 (a Blu Ray player with analogue audio out).

I would be interested in any comments either about the Pioneer (if anyone uses it!) or alternatives to it or generally about how people play CD/FLAC over speakers.

Re: Listening via Speakers using hifi seperates ?

Reply #1
I haven't used a disc player to listen to music for ages. Any CD purchase I make is immediately ripped to FLAC, and the disc stored away in a cupboard.
EAC to rip, Foobar2000 to play.

Reply #2
Run a server on your desktop PC and use a Raspberry Pi to stream music files (FLAC, MP3, M4A, WAV, etc.) to your hifi.  Total cost $50-$100 depending on whether you get a case for your RPi and if you add a DAC board (e.g. HiFiBerry).  Use free piCorePlayer as your RPi OS and free Logitech Media Server on your PC.  Also gives you access to internet radio stations and online music services, e.g. Pandora, Spotify, Tidal.

Reply #3
The Pi idea sounds good since I've one spare anyway!

BTW one of the reasons I favoured a Blu Ray player is because its a cheap way of getting SACD support (and I have some media).

Not sure how possible ripping BR (rather than the CD layer) is.

Reply #4
I rip all my CDs to FLAC, too. Store on one of my Linux systems on mirrored drives. Played through MPD on an OrangePi. Some DSP and crossover done in the Pi