Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Determining MLP vs DTS in a DVD-Audio file listing by speaker arrangement? (Read 9852 times) previous topic - next topic

Determining MLP vs DTS in a DVD-Audio file listing by speaker arrangement?

I'm able to get a listing of the files on a DVD-audio disc (that i own) and play them back on my computer. The files are listed like so:

https://goo.gl/photos/LWgJvzwdGVe2v4rWA

How can i tell which files are DTS and which are MLP? Given that they are all 24/96 i can't tell by file size or bitrate. The speaker arrangements are different however. Can one tell MLP apart from DTS by speaker arrangement on this disc and other DVD-As?

Thanks.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile

Re: Determining MLP vs DTS in a DVD-Audio file listing by speaker arrangement?

Reply #1
How can i tell which files are DTS and which are MLP? Given that they are all 24/96 i can't tell by file size or bitrate.
Of course you can tell by bit rate. MPL (=lossless) tracks have a much higher bit rate than DTS tracks. Only in your screenshot, the bit rate is not shown.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #2
The (DVD-Audio compatible) MLP should be AOB files in the AUDIO_TS folder.   The (DVD-Video compatible) DTS files should be VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Reply #3
Thanks folks. That gives me a great place to start.
Music lover and recovering high end audiophile