Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: need WASAPI help (Read 3919 times) previous topic - next topic

need WASAPI help

I am having no luck getting WASAPI to output  bit perfect  audio, need some help,  please.....

foobar 1.3.9
Xonar Sonar Essence STX, Maxedtek drivers v 1.64 - output to headphones
Win 10 64bit PC
WASAPI 3.2.2 output support installed:    (it shows as installed in Components, but ....
       a.   I don't see a WASAPI.dll in the Components folder -
        b.   No WASAPI is shown in the config Playback tree - but it does show up in Advanced.
                               are these normal ?
using WASAPI, push or event - to speakers, I get audio (in Headphones) but it's going thru the Windows mixer and Xonar control panel - NOT what I want.

selecting WASAPI, S/PDIF push or event.  gives NO audio at all, anywhere.

Please note, however - If I use ASIO, I get bit perfect output - I know this because.....
    Sound is dramatically cleaner, NO sound goes thru Xonar Control Panel, and Win vol control doesn't work. 
- But I have other issues with ASIO so that's why I want to try WASAPI out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

Re: need WASAPI help

Reply #1
74 views, and nobody can help me on this ?  

To update, since my first post I have :
1.     Updated Foobar to the latest version
2.     Updated the Sound card drivers to the most recent MaxedTech drivers.

Still no WASAPI, however the new sound card drivers did give me a more stable ASIO, so I'm using that now.
But I'm still frustrated why I can't make WASAPI work, nobody else seems to have a problem with it...

Maybe this is a Windows 10 issue -  I can't get any sound when doing the SPDIF sound check in Control Panel.
But, shouldn't I see a WASAPI.dll in Foobar's component directory ??  (It shows as installed in Foobar Components).

Suggestions, please ?

Reply #2
It's not clear that anything broken from your description.
Foobar2000 add on drivers are in the user-components directory, not the components directory.
WASAPI always goes thru the Windows sound processing, tho you can configure that to not modify any bits, so it doesn't have to be a problem.
Selecting a S/PDIF output would mean that you need a DAC that accepts a S/PDIF input connected to your S/PDIF output.  (It's not clear to me reading your post if you have one or not.)

You might just need to configure Windows and your sound card to not do any sound "enhancements."  Go to the Sound Control Panel and select properties on your output device.  On the Levels tab make sure the volume is 100 and that the balance is 100/100.  On the Enhancements tab make sure that no enhancements are selected and/or that "Disable all enhancements" is selected.  On the Advanced tab make sure that both Exclusive mode configuration boxes are checked.  I can't help with the best configuration of your sound card.

Reply #3
 tedsmith - thanks for your reply.....
I guess I must apologize, for trying to do the impossible (lol).
I misunderstood what S/PDIF meant, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
So now, using WASAPI thru "speakers", it  does indeed work.
However, as you said, it's going thru the ASUS control panel and Windows mixer which gives audibly poorer sound than ASIO. 
So I will abandon WASAPI and stick with ASIO. 
The only issue I have, using ASIO, is that I can't play Hi-Bitrate files - they play back very, very slow - But WASAPI does play them.
Must be an issue with the ASIO drivers, but I can live without the High-Bitrate files, 
Thanks again.....

Reply #4
The only issue I have, using ASIO, is that I can't play Hi-Bitrate files - they play back very, very slow - But WASAPI does play them.
Must be an issue with the ASIO drivers, but I can live without the High-Bitrate files, 
Try setting higher latency in your ASIO configuration.

Reply #5
Hi - new Win10 PC running latest Creators Update, v1703.  Using the new native Windows 10 USB audio drivers, selecting WASAPI Event Style, music plays though my USB DAC and sounds fine but the progress bar does not move.  Is this a known issue?    The original WASAPI thread is now closed, so I am appending to this one.

I am of the impression that Peter, Foobar's creator, also wrote the WASAPI plug-in, so it is considered 'supported' via the forum.
If I am wrong in any of the above, I apologize,

Reply #6
Hi - new Win10 PC running latest Creators Update, v1703.  Using the new native Windows 10 USB audio drivers, selecting WASAPI Event Style, music plays though my USB DAC and sounds fine but the progress bar does not move.

Yes, same problem. Also the elapsed time doesn't update, and the frequency range visualization doesn't change. I reported this under another post (Playback doesn't follow cursor, and now the reverse). It's REALLY difficult to use foobar when I can't stop and reset to a certain point, etc. Still haven't seen any responses.

Hmmm... changed Event to Push mode and it works as before....

Reply #7
I can confirm Wasapi Push works, but Wasapi Event does not.

Not sure if there is a better or more formal way to raise awareness of this bug.

Reply #8
The two WASAPI modes are provided to deal with buggy drivers/devices refusing to work in either mode, so at least one mode works for everyone.
That said, I am testing WASAPI event mode with my USB devices on Windows 10 v1703 right now and not seeing anything out of ordinary. What exact devices are you using?

Are you running 64-bit or 32-bit Windows?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #9
The two WASAPI modes are provided to deal with buggy drivers/devices refusing to work in either mode, so at least one mode works for everyone.
That said, I am testing WASAPI event mode with my USB devices on Windows 10 v1703 right now and not seeing anything out of ordinary. What exact devices are you using?

Are you running 64-bit or 32-bit Windows?

Win10 64bit
USB DAC is Schiit Modi Multibit

Jriver Media Center using WASAPI event style does not have the 'no progress bar movement problem during playback' using same driver and device

I am happy to post links to video captures or anything else that might be helpful in diagnosing the issue.

Reply #10
There's a new version of the WASAPI component out that solved the problem at least with my device.

Reply #11
Just upgraded components via components update inside Foobar, relaunched the program and to my horror wasapi.dll won't load!

How can I resolve this?

Reply #12
The update mechanism has signature checking to prevent installation of corrupted downloads. Are you running some third party anti-virus or firewall software? Some of those have had dislike for foobar's ASIO and WASAPI components that do their own sandboxing. If the exe files from the archive were removed or put under quarantine the component would no longer work.
You can download a new local copy and reinstall from it. And make sure you prevent any security software from acting stupid and deleting the files.