Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: windows 10 and foobar2000 (Read 22883 times) previous topic - next topic

windows 10 and foobar2000

Reply #25
That is not a solution. That is a workaround of sorts causing all kinds of other problems. Like inability to drag and drop files to foobar2000 or open files with shell extension. A solution is to open folder properties and fix the permissions so that your user account has rights to access the files.

windows 10 and foobar2000

Reply #26
Fixing file permissions is simple.

Create a bat file:
Code: [Select]
@echo off

set /p "dir=Full path to directory: "

echo %dir%

echo.
echo Taking ownership...
pause
TAKEOWN /f "%dir%" /r /d Y

echo.
echo Resetting permissions...
pause
ICACLS "%dir%" /reset /T /Q

pause

Right click - run as administrator. It will ask you for a directory path which you need to enter (example: "D:\Music" without the quotes). Then press return to take ownership, press return again to rest file permissions.

I do not recommend using this on 'special' folders, like C:\Program Files, C:\Windows, C:\Users\YourUser ... because these folders have special permissions.
"I hear it when I see it."

Re: windows 10 and foobar2000

Reply #27
Bat file doesn't work for me. If I copy and past it as is, it does nothing.

I have two portable Foobar installs (on my C drive), running fine on a Windows 7. Copied both directories to a memory stick.
Two laptops running Windows 10. I can run the portable Foobar's from the memory stick. If I transfer the portable directory to either laptops C drive, Foobar must be run as Admin or I get the "Cannot access configuration file" message. If I actually install Foobar (again as a portable app) using the Foobar installer, same thing, it only runs as Admin. What the heck? Why would it work only directly from the memory stick?

All help appreciated.

Reply #28
I tried putting the portable directories directly on C: instead C:\Program Files(x86) and of course it now works, so this obviously has something to do with permissions in the Program Files (x86) directory, but I can't figure out why.

Reply #29
That is a reserved system directory, for programs and their permanent data, not for user documents, such as your music collection.

Reply #30
That is a reserved system directory, for programs and their permanent data, not for user documents, such as your music collection.

Understand. It's only the portable installs of the Foobar2000 program. Music is still at C:\Music. I'd rather have the portable Foobar2000 installs at C:\Program Files(x86), but if I put them there they only run in Admin mode, so I can't drag'n drop, etc.. Has anybody on Windows 10 done a portable install at C:\Program Files(x86) and made it work in User (not Admin) mode? If so, how?

Reply #31
I always use portable install and have it just on C: because that's my SSD drive. I run it as User and never had any problems with it. Running it from C:\Program Files(x86) gives an error and doesn't work. Running it as Administrator works but as I've heard doing this can result in other issues.

Reply #32
I always use portable install and have it just on C: because that's my SSD drive. I run it as User and never had any problems with it. Running it from C:\Program Files(x86) gives an error and doesn't work. Running it as Administrator from C:\Program Files (x86) works but as I've heard doing this can result in other issues.

Exactly! At least two of us with the same problem.

Reply #33
Because, you need administrative privileges to write in Program Files. And, in portable mode, foobar2000 writes its config etc. in its own folder because it's meant to be self-contained. Why are you using portable mode in Program Files?

Reply #34
Why are you using portable mode in Program Files?

No real reason - I just happened to be running it like that in Windows 7, where it works fine as a portable install in C:\Program Files(x86). Not so Windows 10, which is what I thought this thread was about?

Anyway, putting my two portable installs at C: works, and I don't think it should cause any problems. In case anyone wonders why I do this -

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111309/topicseen.html

Reply #35
I always use portable install and have it just on C: because that's my SSD drive. I run it as User and never had any problems with it. Running it from C:\Program Files(x86) gives an error and doesn't work. Running it as Administrator from C:\Program Files (x86) works but as I've heard doing this can result in other issues.

Exactly! At least two of us with the same problem.

I'm not sure what you're reading into my comment but as I've said, if you've read it more closely, I never had any problem. You should NOT be running it as administrator, and you should NOT put it in programs (x86). 

Reply #36
No real reason - I just happened to be running it like that in Windows 7, where it works fine as a portable install in C:\Program Files(x86). Not so Windows 10, which is what I thought this thread was about?
Windows 7 by default behaves the same as 10 in this regard.  Unless you change the folder permissions or run as Administrator a portable install in C:\Program Files(x86) will have the same issue on Windows 7.  Or did you have UAC turned off on 7?

Reply #37
I'm not sure what you're reading into my comment but as I've said, if you've read it more closely, I never had any problem. You should NOT be running it as administrator, and you should NOT put it in programs (x86).

You are correct. Saying it was a "problem" is the wrong word. Runs great installed at C:

Reply #38
Has anyone tried compiling Foobar2000 for the Raspberry Pi 3 running Windows 10 IoT latest build? 

I have both the development system and RPi3 running.  Was just wondering if the Mobile version like I on my Windows phone will compile for the RPi3.

The USB dac is using an ASIO driver.

Just thought I would ask.

Reply #40
Understand. It's only the portable installs of the Foobar2000 program. Music is still at C:\Music. I'd rather have the portable Foobar2000 installs at C:\Program Files(x86), but if I put them there they only run in Admin mode, so I can't drag'n drop, etc.. Has anybody on Windows 10 done a portable install at C:\Program Files(x86) and made it work in User (not Admin) mode? If so, how?

Just make a directory named 'Portable Apps' on C:\ and place your portable programs there. It's what I do. The Program Files directories are now admin-restricted with write access so it's a headache putting things there.

Reply #41
Hello!  I hope someone here can help me.  I just upgraded to windows 10 professional 64 bit from windows 7 professional 64 bit.  In W7, I was able to switch users and Foobar2000 would continue playing from the old user.  In W7, when I change user, Foobar2000 pauses. 

Any ideas?

Reply #42
It's still happening even w/ Foobar2000 v1.3.15. I'm sure we're all aware that were trying to drag&drop tracks into a plain empty playlist as opposed to a playlist that's generated as an autoplaylist.

I'm using stock FB2K playlist and already ran as admin-privileges with no success :( and doing the same thing with CTRL+O is tedious!

I was only able to do it when using a 3rd-party file manager like Double Commander, but i'm now trying to stray away from anything that isn't default within Windows 10 (moving to different PC's is too hard with your too personalized customization, that's why).

We're all still unable to Drop & Drop tracks into Foobar2000 via Window's Explorer (or it's own built-in file manager).

Reply #43
Did you not read the thread? If you run something elevated (with administrative rights) you can't communicate with it from an unelevated program. It's by OS design and it won't be circumvented. Stop running foobar2000 elevated.

Reply #44
Yep, it works just fine here, Win 10 64 latest version, latest version FB2K, loads of plugins etc. Drop files from Explorer straight into FB2K to create a playlist. It has never not worked (Win 98SE, XP, 7 and now 10).

Reply #45
Stop running foobar2000 elevated. (Make sure you don't have the shortcut your running it off from be running it as Admin by going into it's properties -> compatibility-tab -> uncheck "Run this program as an administrator")

This solved it, thanks.