Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: QS.. (Replay-gain) (Read 914 times) previous topic - next topic

QS.. (Replay-gain)

Hello everybody!
I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate replay gain, the way *I* listen to music.
I generally tend to double-click on files as opposed to queue them up.
Is it possible for foobar to retain the loudness information to match the previous song?
Thanks for reply.
what a mess

Re: QS.. (Replay-gain)

Reply #1
ReplayGain scans each file to determine how loud it sounds and that info is saved to a tag for each so the player then knows how to adjust the volume. You'd have to load them all into a playlist initially and scan them (Track Gain) and when foobar2000 offers, save the ReplayGain info to the files, but once that's done it doesn't matter how you listen to music. If the tags contain ReplayGain information they'll be adjusted accordingly on playback (assuming ReplayGain is enabled under playback in preferences).

Alternatively there's an "apply track gain" right click option. After you've scanned and saved the ReplayGain info, foobar2000 can losslessly adjust MP3s and AAC/MP4s to the target volume. That way, if you play the files with a player that doesn't support reading the tags and adjusting the volume on playback it doesn't matter, because they'll be the same volume. I do it that way because my portable MP3 player doesn't support ReplayGain tags, but keep in mind that process isn't reversible even though it's lossless (there's no info saved regarding the original volume).

Reply #2

Alternatively there's an "apply track gain" right click option. After you've scanned and saved the ReplayGain info, foobar2000 can losslessly adjust MP3s and AAC/MP4s to the target volume. That way, if you play the files with a player that doesn't support reading the tags and adjusting the volume on playback it doesn't matter, because they'll be the same volume. I do it that way because my portable MP3 player doesn't support ReplayGain tags, but keep in mind that process isn't reversible even though it's lossless (there's no info saved regarding the original volume).

Thanks for the reply, yesanotherid.
Just to confirm, applying 'track gain' is a destructive feature? kind of like manually going into an audio editor and raising it +3db for example?
what a mess

Reply #3
Sorry about the slow reply, but yes it's destructive in the sense there's no information saved that lets you reverse the process.
If you want it to be completely reversible, and therefore not destructive in any way, you could use Mp3Gain to scan and adjust instead of foobar2000. There's info on the Mp3Gain site with instructions on applying an AACGain update so it can also scan and adjust AAC in MP4 files. It saves undo information to APE tags (for MP3) so as long as the tags aren't altered or removed, Mp3Gain can reverse the changes at a later date. It also displays the volume in a slightly more informative way than foobar2000 as it shows if there'll be any clipping after it's adjusted the volume (the audio isn't "clipped" as such, but it can exceed 0dB).

On the negative side, it uses the original ReplayGain scanner whereas foobar2000 uses the newer EBU R128 scanner which is a little more accurate, and foobar2000's scanner is much faster.