Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Nero AAC Gapless? (Read 17145 times) previous topic - next topic

Nero AAC Gapless?

Maybe this has been discussed before but I just started a new topic in case this is only an issue for the latest Foobar versions. I thought foobar was supposed to be gapless with nero aac. If it can be, how do I make it gapless? Mp3s are fine and are perfectly gapless. In case you are wondering, I use dbpoweramp to rip to nero aac at .65 vbr if that matters. Thanks

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #1
Oh and I am using windows Vista Home Premium in case that also matters

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #2
I have no idea except there must be something wrong here. Have you tried to rip end encode with fb2k, and checked your dsp chain?

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #3
dsp chain? I have nothing enabled on my dsps except my crossfeed plugin but even when disabling that, its still not gapless. Is there a gapless component that I need to get?

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #4
Well, foobar2000 is gapless when files are gapless. Perhaps this older thread interests you.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #5
hmm weird... ripping from the same cd using dbpoweramp into mp3, foobar plays it gapless. ripping it into nero aac it's not. No difference in configuration when ripping except one is an mp3 album rip the other aac

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #6
looking from that link I guess nero aac isn't gapless as it is claimed to be

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #7
foobar2000 converter, NeroAacEnc 1.3.3.0, vbr q=0.55  => gapless on fb2k 0.9.6.5.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #8
Maybe dbpoweramp does some postprocessing on the files that removes the gapless data? Try using the command line encoder directly with the same options and see if you get the same results.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #9
Maybe dbpoweramp does some postprocessing on the files that removes the gapless data? Try using the command line encoder directly with the same options and see if you get the same results.

I find Nero AAC is gapless encoded with dBPowerAmp on Windows Vista and 7 when playing back using iTunes and Winamp (all recent versions of both). These files also play gaplessly on my Nano 2G.

I should add that these AAC's were created from lossless rips, usually WMA's.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #10
yup same files gapless on itunes but not on foobar... so now its definitely foobar then

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #11
You could try Foorbar's diskwriter output plugin and analyse the transition either in a wave editor or with Synchrotron.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #12
what would be the point of that if I know it is already gapless from playing it in itunes? Can anyone answer whether the the latest foobar is gapless with nero vbr aac files by trying it? I just want to know if I'm the only one getting this problem. Its weird that not too many are asking or complaining about this especially when foobar claims to be gapless with nero aac

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #13
I too have experienced the same problem. I recently ripped a lot of discs to Nero AAC using dBpoweramp and found that for some reason they failed to play gaplessly in both Foobar and Winamp. Interestingly upon importing them into iTunes they were not scanned for the iTunes gapless tag, as lame mp3s are upon import, and so they didn't play gaplessly even in iTunes as a result. As these were for my parents' use and they aren't bothered about the gapless nature of the files I never bothered to pursue it any further I'm afraid, but nevertheless I can confirm I've suffered the same issue so you're not alone!

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #14
The Nero encoded files I linked to in my previous post have same glitch on transition with both foobar2000 and latest iTunes. If you insist that foobar has issues go ahead and upload two sample files that show this.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #15
Nero AAC is gapless for me.

I had some mp3s which I previously ripped using EAC and LAME 3.98r2.  They play gaplessly in fb2k 0.9.6.8.  I transcoded them to mp4 using NeroAACenc in fb2k.

The mp4s play gaplessly in fb2k.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #16
I completely concur; foobar encoded NeroAAC files play gaplessly in Foobar and Winamp for me. Can we therefore deduce that this lack of gapless playback is some issue with dBpoweramp's current method of ripping or encoding, but an issue limited to when using NeroAAC?

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #17
Here are two 5 second clips that show the issue I ran into earlier. I hope menno does something about it.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #18
what would be the point of that if I know it is already gapless from playing it in itunes?

iTunes uses its own gapless playback methods.  It will scan file, analyze the metadata, and then figure out how to properly play files (Lame mp3, Nero AAC, etc.) for gapless playback.  Uploading a few samples would allow people to try to experience your issues.  As previously stated, you should upload samples if you keep insisting that foobar2000 or dBpowerAMP are the issues.  That way, we can help you narrow down the problem or notify the developers (of either application) if there actually is an issue.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #19
Why isn't anybody digging into the issue by analyzing the transition? There are two possible causes, one being a broken gapless implementation, the other a perfectly working gapless implementation but an encoder going off course at file boundaries. We have seen both happen in the past.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #20
just checked this thread its 5 am here. I'll try to do whats been said to give you guys data at a later time

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #22
Nero AAC encoded @ highest bitrate with dbpoweramp front end is gapless on Foobar and on my iPod 5G.

Nero AAC Gapless?

Reply #23
Ok now I just figured something out... Foobar is fine and does gapless even with itunes aacs. Its my nero aacs that are not gapless. The Itunes plus aacs were ripped with itunes and there were some tags I couldnt understand so I deleted them... Boom, now the same itunes aac files arent gapless on foobar. So the question now is... Do AACs need special tags in order to make them gapless? Ive read that AAC is not gapless by nature compared with mp3 so I guess it is these tags that I deleted which are needed to have gapless playback. How do I set DBpoweramp to tag the nero AAC files to make them gapless?