Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cannot verify one track album rip without cue file (Read 3191 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot verify one track album rip without cue file

Edge of Sanity's Crimson album has only one track on the album, without the cue file (which I usually delete) Cuetools does not recognize a singular track as an album. I can keep the cue file if there is absolutely no work around. Unless i'm misunderstanding something it's kind of odd that Cuetools verifies with the cue but not the file like it does with multi track albums.

Re: Cannot verify one track album rip without cue file

Reply #1
A single file can be a from a single track CD but it can also be an image of a CD that contains multiple tracks within. CUETools uses the CUE to sort that out. If the single file has an embedded CUE, CUETools doesn't require the external CUE file.
korth

Reply #2
I guess it would be tough to tell the difference between an album image and a one track album with no cue sheet. So for the time being I'll keep the cue for this specific album.

Reply #3
I also have a few cases of ripped single-track CDs. Mainly classical music where there is sometimes a single movement of a long symphony on a second disc. In general, I rip one file per track and also do not keep the CUE sheets. Maybe an "expert mode" where one can tell CUETools to only expect one track for this CD would be a solution?

Reply #4
I can keep the cue file if there is absolutely no work around.
There is. In settings, "AccurateRip" tag, let CUETools "Write AccurateRip tags". Then it will write tags enough to find it. Also, under Advanced, the bottom option:  Put "Write CDTOC tag" to "True".

I usually keep those things off for the "default" preset, but on for the "verify" and "convert" presets.

Try. And, if you have the same Crimson as I have, then the tags would be
ACCURATERIPID: 0002bf63-00057ec7-02096001 and
CDTOC: 1+96+96
The latter would be a quite common CDTOC tag for a one-tracker, actually.

Reply #5
I can keep the cue file if there is absolutely no work around.
There is. In settings, "AccurateRip" tag, let CUETools "Write AccurateRip tags". Then it will write tags enough to find it. Also, under Advanced, the bottom option:  Put "Write CDTOC tag" to "True".
I checked the accuraterip tag box on verify and had CDTOC on true, but cuetools isn't writing the tags when I go to verify the album. I tested both 2.1.7 and 2.1.6. I have no clue if i encountered a bug or not.

Reply #6
I checked the accuraterip tag box on verify and had CDTOC on true, but cuetools isn't writing the tags when I go to verify the album. I tested both 2.1.7 and 2.1.6. I have no clue if i encountered a bug or not.
Hm. Did you look at the preset in the upper-left corner? Did you ask it to skip recently verified, or verify only if found?

I cannot test right now, but I could possibly have populated the ACCURATERIPID tag myself, rather than having CUETools do it. (I just looked up Crimson in my library ...) Since I rip with dBpoweramp, which writes the ID to a different tag, I could have extracted it to CUETools' tag once upon a time. See last paragraph for details about those tags.

If you want the ID for manual tagging - and then subsequent CUETools treatment - you can try https://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm . Move all your single-track CDs over to a separate parent directory, let it AccurateRip scan that parent folder. It finds some albums that CUETools cannot. Generally speaking, not so relevant for single-track albums: you can tag an entire album manually, you do not need to tag each track - see next paragraph. Now if it is already AR verified, you do not need to run it through CUETools - but if it needs repair, then you want CUETools to find it.

Longer story, and I think CUETools reads more tags now: dBpoweramp writes an "ACCURATERIPDISCID" tag, which is really a disc+track ID: 001-0002bf63-00057ec7-02096001-1 where the leading triplet is the total number of audio tracks (why a third figure is needed, beats me) - and the final "-1" is the number of the actual track, as AccurateRip is basically track-based and not disc-based.  CUETools is disc-based, and its tag of choice is ACCURATERIPID, which is formed out of characters 5 through 30, same tag for all tracks in an album.

Blah blah blah unstructured ... ask if I was too unclear about something that you actually care about.

Reply #7
Did you look at the preset in the upper-left corner? Did you ask it to skip recently verified, or verify only if found?
I made sure I had it on the preset that I altered the settings with. Skip recently verified was unchecked and had it always verify regardless if found or not.
Now if it is already AR verified, you do not need to run it through CUETools - but if it needs repair, then you want CUETools to find it.
The problem was not that Crimson couldn't verify with AR since with the CUE file it does fine, but CUETools not starting the scan for both AR and CTDB cause it thinks it's a full album image. The answer I think I seek is the CDTOC tag which you mentioned earlier or an embedded cue in the FLAC file.
CUETools is disc-based, and its tag of choice is ACCURATERIPID
I actually use this tag all the time when I get an album that has a HTOA. It let's me verify with AR anytime in the future without having to keep HTOA.
Blah blah blah unstructured ... ask if I was too unclear about something that you actually care about.
You were pretty clear. I understood everything you explained.