Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 SQ Blindtests (Read 2356 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 SQ Blindtests

Hello,
I'd like to buy a MP3 player with a very good SQ quality (and i don't care about photo and video).
I actually have the Cowon d2, but it is not supporting playlists and this is a big probem for me...

I'm looking for a AB test of MP3 players to define sound quality, if possible with those players:
SFLO2 / Cowon J3 / Hifiman801
If you have also a link with scientific hifi measurements, I'll take it !

Thanx in advance !!

MP3 SQ Blindtests

Reply #2
Hello,
I'd like to buy a MP3 player with a very good SQ quality (and i don't care about photo and video).
I actually have the Cowon d2, but it is not supporting playlists and this is a big probem for me...

I'm looking for a AB test of MP3 players to define sound quality, if possible with those players:
SFLO2 / Cowon J3 / Hifiman801
If you have also a link with scientific hifi measurements, I'll take it !

I don't know if much has been found about MP3 players that demands blind testing. This is because the MP3 decoding software has been cast in cement for almost 2 decades. I think you'll find that almost all extant blind tests related to MP3 are related to encoders, which can vary audibly in ways that it takes a blind test to nail down.

While the MP3 decode function is pretty much all the same, there can be audible differences among player hardware implementations in areas that are not so much about MP3. For example, some players have audible variations in frequency response, particularly when used with certain headphones. That happens no mater what file format you play. Ironically, those kinds of differences don't necessarily correlate with price. Some of the most sonically accurate players around are among the most economical to obtain.

MP3 SQ Blindtests

Reply #3
Probedb > Yes of course I tried RockBox on the D2+ but there si too many problkems, particulary: some albums and songs are simply not seen ! :[

Arnold > Of course, but some trademarks are well known for implementing hardware parts that are made for Hifi, such as the sflo2 (nationite), Cowon or the hifiman.

MP3 SQ Blindtests

Reply #4
The big question then, is whether these "hardware parts that are made for Hifi" are actually better than their competitors.

There needs to be a big RMAA database somewhere. It makes measurement so easy, but there's such a scarcity of data out there!