Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Seeking ABX software for Mac OS X (Read 27853 times) previous topic - next topic

Seeking ABX software for Mac OS X

Reply #25
But its not 100% yet.
Its only working if I launch it from Terminal, not if I double-click the abchr.jar
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287611"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Works by double-clicking it here.

Reply #26

Yes, it launches fine on double-click.
But I get the message "File blablabla.flac could not be decoded" when I try to play from a compressed audio format (ex. flac, mp3). Wave files is working fine.

Can you play from a compressed format, when you double-click to start?

Reply #27

Yes, it launches fine on double-click.
But I get the message "File blablabla.flac could not be decoded" when I try to play from a compressed audio format (ex. flac, mp3). Wave files is working fine.

Can you play from a compressed format, when you double-click to start?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287654"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

you're right, it doesn't decode anything other than wav. I thought you meant the app didn't open..

Reply #28
Sorry, I didn't express myself clear enough.

Reply #29
Maybe Mac OS doesn't run the application from the directory the jar file is in. This little program will tell you its working directory. If it's different from the directory the jar file was in, you could try moving ABC/HR's clicodec.cfg and the abchrtemp directory there.

Reply #30
That dont seem to be the problem.
When I launch userdir.jar it tells me that the User Directory is the same directory where userdir.jar is located. Even if I move it deep into subfolders, the User Directory follow...

I'm no coder, but are you sure its not the debug code you added yesterday that is causing this?
Because when I launch abchr.jar from Terminal it writes the output from the external decoders to the terminal window. Which it cant do when I launch abchr.jar directly

Reply #31
I'm no coder, but are you sure its not the debug code you added yesterday that is causing this?
Because when I launch abchr.jar from Terminal it writes the output from the external decoders to the terminal window. Which it cant do when I launch abchr.jar directly
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287797"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's possible, yes. But actually, it should just dump the output to null, which wouldn't produce any problems. And if it doesn't (but rather fills some buffer which might overflow), I'd expect it to hang or crash, rather than produce error messages. Anyway, I'm only guessing here. I'll make a version without debug messages later.

Reply #32
Here are the output to console.log when I launch it with double-click:
===== Sat Apr 02 2005 ===== 16:06:46 Europe/Oslo =====
cmdarray: flac -d -s -o abchrtemp/tmpetazke.wav /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac

abchr.audio.DecodeFailedException: File /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac could not be decoded.

I/O error while processing Message_From_Silence.flac: flac: not found

at abchr.audio.SampleFactory$Decoder.process(Unknown Source)

at abchr.audio.SampleFactory.createSample(Unknown Source)

at abchr.gui.ABXPanel$SampleLoader.run(Unknown Source)

at abchr.gui.ABXPanel$4.construct(Unknown Source)

at guiutils.SwingWorker$2.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

javax.sound.sampled.UnsupportedAudioFileException: File /Users/**/Downloads/ABX Testing/Message_From_Silence.flac could not be decoded.

I/O error while processing Message_From_Silence.flac: flac: not found

at abchr.audio.SampleFactory.createSample(Unknown Source)

at abchr.gui.ABXPanel$SampleLoader.run(Unknown Source)

at abchr.gui.ABXPanel$4.construct(Unknown Source)

at guiutils.SwingWorker$2.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

Looks familiar..

Reply #33
Bump!

Are there really no other ABX applications that run on Mac OS X out there?
ABC/HR for Java is pretty good. But its unusable for me because it creates those nasty popping noices when switching audio tracks... 

Oh well!

Reply #34
A year has passed (almost), and I'm still looking for a "decent" ABX application for Mac OS X!
Any new application out there?

Reply #35
A year has passed (almost), and I'm still looking for a "decent" ABX application for Mac OS X!
Any new application out there?

Another year (and more) have passed, and I'm still looking for an ABX application for Mac OS X! 

It would be great if we had a native OS X application, with these features:
* Lossy audio support (MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, Musepack, ...)
* Lossless/Uncompressed audio support (Apple Lossless, WavPack, FLAC, PCM (AIFF and WAVE), ...).
* Gain correction.
* Offset correction.
* Select playback range.
* Sessions.

Reply #36
i am interested too... anyone?

Reply #37
i am interested too... anyone?
Me too !
Any suggestions for which (audio) Mac developers to ask ?
I'm always surprised by the little interest in ABX applications, even (especially) by audio professionals.
It might be quite some work to develop an ABX and/or ABC/HR tool. Nevertheless I hope someone is willing to take the challenge. Mac (OSX) is very popular in the (professional) audio community.

Reply #38
Me too !
Any suggestions for which (audio) Mac developers to ask ?

I have asked Stephen Booth (the Max and Play developer). But not quite sure if I ever got a reply.
He already have the needed playback frameworks running, and have shown that he can handle audio applications. So I really think he is the right guy for this task.

We just have to convince him! 

Reply #40
Maybe Mac OS doesn't run the application from the directory the jar file is in. This little program will tell you its working directory. If it's different from the directory the jar file was in, you could try moving ABC/HR's clicodec.cfg and the abchrtemp directory there.

I know this is an old thread (sorry - just joined recently!) but if anyone is still looking for a workaround to make this software run on OS X 10.4, try this: move its folder as high in the hierarchy as you can.  Then try to double-click the JAR file.  For me, at least, some Java apps do not run if they're buried too deep in the directory tree.  I moved the folder directly into the "Applications" folder and abchr ran just fine.  Sticking it any lower caused similar exception logs to those listed.  Give it a try - can't hurt.

Reply #41
I know this is an old thread (sorry - just joined recently!)
Well, AFAIK there still isn't an ABX application for OS X so this thread is still actual
Thanks for your input.
FWIW, WinABX seems to run ok under CrossOver (wine) under OS X so that could be an option until a real OS X application becomes available.

Reply #42
Hi, Found this thread and I'm too interested into a solution OSX based.

But in the same time I found the solution for this problem of decoding. In fact on OSX when launched from Terminal all variables like PATH and some others are set so flac can be found. But when launched with a double click all these Environment variable are not set so flac can't be found.

And finally the solution is to change the way the file are decoded in Options > Settings > Decoders

You just have to write the complete path to your flac or XXX binary decoder.

If installed with macports should be something like /opt/local/bin/MYDECODER

Below an example that worked for me. (With 2 different path to get a better explanation)

Reply #45
The recently fixed ABC/HR for Java build is supposed to work fine on OS X:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=77573

Please report in the linked thread if you find any problems.

Edit

The new program files are available in this reply: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=683924

Reply #46
foobar2000 for OSX works with the ABX component. (ABX link at bottom of page 1)

Reply #47
Foobar ABX under WINE used to click heavily while switching between samples. That could severely dilute results. Is this fixed?

Reply #48
Foobar ABX under WINE used to click heavily while switching between samples. That could severely dilute results. Is this fixed?

It isn't entirely silent and smooth on my system - Not uselessly bad.

Reply #49
It seems that my java version doesn't accept files with more than 16 bits.
Which formats can be used ?