Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Old flac version to last version (Read 21464 times) previous topic - next topic

Old flac version to last version

Reply #25
Traders Little Helper

Interesting. However, one problem here is that flac.exe seems not safe to use to reencode-and-overwrite (right?), and this program describes itself as a front-end, so ... unless it does additional verification, it does not seem to solve the problem.

Reply #26
Traders Little Helper

Interesting. However, one problem here is that flac.exe seems not safe to use to reencode-and-overwrite (right?), and this program describes itself as a front-end, so ... unless it does additional verification, it does not seem to solve the problem.

I might use it to re-encode my FLAC library, it can just delete the damn original FLAC when it's done. But I am not sure the gain would be even noticable, I mean it doesn't seem there'd be much difference honestly in file sizes or performance idk

Reply #27
Hi again!
Finally i have time to convert my remaining 1.1.3 FLAC files to the latest version, but before that i have some more question about this.:
Is there a drawback in updating older FLAC files to newer versions?
Can i encode FLAC to FLAC or any other Lossless format as many times as i want without any loss?
Is foo_bitcompare can be trusted for reporting any error in the newly encoded file if there is one?
Thanks

Reply #28
Is there a drawback in updating older FLAC files to newer versions?

You have been warned that you might have to check that it actually works.

Can i encode FLAC to FLAC or any other Lossless format as many times as i want without any loss?

Yes, provided target format (and the converter) supports every feature of the source file.

(For example, not all lossless formats support all resolutions or multichannel sound, and not all lossless formats support every piece of metadata.)

Reply #29
Although metadata, of course, would not affect the audio content. Generally, we can rely on the trusted maxim that lossless is lossless. Barring, that is, the possibility of encoders that would discard or otherwise do as they wish with unsupported data without informing the user—something that would be best avoided in any case.

Reply #30
Thanks Porcus and db1989
I'm finished the converting, all of my FLAC is now v1.2.1, i have compared every of them with the old files and Bit-Compare Tracks didn't show any error, does this means that the newly converted FLAC file is safe to Archive and i can delete the old?
Also I have noticed the FLAC compression levels, i have most of my Archive in FLAC level 2, can i re-convert them too to level 8?
Sorry for the silly questions, i want to do this "safe".

Edit.:
Oh, i have one more question: If a newer version of FLAC.exe will be released, should i update my FLAC files again?

Reply #31
Bit-Compare Tracks didn't show any error, does this means that the newly converted FLAC file is safe to Archive and i can delete the old?
Also I have noticed the FLAC compression levels, i have most of my Archive in FLAC level 2, can i re-convert them too to level 8?
Yes to both. But you may want to ask yourself if the latter is really worth it.

If a newer version of FLAC.exe will be released, should i update my FLAC files again?
As above, I question whether the benefit would be proportional to the logistics, especially if the new version were a relatively minor update.