Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winlame 2021 release 1 giving me longer Mp3 lengths than cd audio (Read 1896 times) previous topic - next topic

Winlame 2021 release 1 giving me longer Mp3 lengths than cd audio

Strange! I used to be able to rip CDs with no problems using Exact Audio Copy and compressing with the runtime LAME compressor, but this is a new computer setup and I'm getting nothing back from this Winlame updated executable but double or triple the length of the actual song. I've tried a couple of different CDs now and same result. For reference's sake, the WAV files seem to be the correct length, but as soon as they're run through the compressor they get an extra double or triple the length listed.

When I play back the mp3 using Windows Media Player or Groove I can skip to the extra length and the song is playing, but if I listen to it without skipping, it fades out like normal (with normal time length). Is this due to compression errors or something else?

As AN example, Chrono Trigger soundtrack disc 1, track 1, is Premonition, and CD audio has it lasting for 0:31 seconds. But after compressing the WAV file, I get an MP3 that lasts 2:49. Where is this coming from?

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can offer me.

Re: Winlame 2021 release 1 giving me longer Mp3 lengths than cd audio

Reply #1
I've just tried that program of yours, and it gave me just what you described. I am playing in foobar2000, and it gave me wrong song length - it shows 128 kbit for all the songs. I've run foobar's "fix vbr mp3 header" option, which fixed the problem.

I don't see how to fix the problem with software, however, it has almost no options. Change the software, or contact the author to file a bug report.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Re: Winlame 2021 release 1 giving me longer Mp3 lengths than cd audio

Reply #3
I've just tried that program of yours, and it gave me just what you described. I am playing in foobar2000, and it gave me wrong song length - it shows 128 kbit for all the songs. I've run foobar's "fix vbr mp3 header" option, which fixed the problem.

I don't see how to fix the problem with software, however, it has almost no options. Change the software, or contact the author to file a bug report.

Switching over to foobar and using what you described fixed the problem! Thanks to both of you!