Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping Bluray audio and playback with Foobar2000 ? - much like Super Audio CD (Read 7049 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping Bluray audio and playback with Foobar2000 ? - much like Super Audio CD

I'm a kind of newbie here,

I have a setup now where I can rip Super-audio CD using: a Sony bluray player, USB-boot key, PC-network, PC Software; isodsd and Foobar2000 for playback DSD ISO into my Moon CD-player which has a USB-cable inlet for the DAC - connecting to the PC where the ISO files are stored.

I have received a combo CD - Bluray audio recording set and now 'out of the box' I can just playback the bluray disc in my Bluray player and connect to my Pioneer Surround Amp. with HDMI-cable.

I wish to listen to the Bluray audio tracks over the Moon CD-player using that high quality DAC which sounds mind blowing over my Martin Logan Electromotion X. Can Foobar2000 handle that ? Are there a plugin for Bluray audio for that ? -
In any case - I need to rip the Bluray on to a PC harddisk and store it in ISO format i suppose ? Any preferable freeware software  you can recommend for ripping ?
Are there any way to rip the Bluray tracks over the PC network with software, much like I do with the Super Audio CD or is it better to buy a Bluray drive for PC in this case ? What freeware Bluray audio (ISO) playback software can you recommend if FooBar2000 can not do the job ?
Hope someone can guide here   ;)
nUUK25

Re: Ripping Bluray audio and playback with Foobar2000 ? - much like Super Audio CD

Reply #1
You can use MakeMKV to rip the lossless audio track in to FLAC and then use mkvtoolnix to unselect the video track and anything else you don't need and make an audio only mka with chapters.

From there you should be able to play file in Foobar2000
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Re: Ripping Bluray audio and playback with Foobar2000 ? - much like Super Audio CD

Reply #2
Thanks for the tip - Duck 'lover'  8) ,

I suppose it all implies that I buy a Bluray drive for PC  ?

Are there any tech. solution to rip over the network using the existing Sony Bluray player ?

Thanks

Reply #3
Are there any tech. solution to rip over the network using the existing Sony Bluray player ?
DVD/Blu-Ray players (and commercial player software) can't get-around the copy protection on commercial DVDs & Blu-Rays.  (Homemade/burned discs are not copy protected.)

Reply #4
There is no way to play BD ISO with foobar2000. But with component foo_input_ffmpeg, foobar2000 can play audio directly from *.m2ts files.

Reply #5
Thanks DVDdoug and Rollin,

Does it make any difference copy protection wise if I buy an internal PC Bluray burner or an external PC Bluray burner with USB connection ? I'm' thinking LG BH16NS40 or LiteOn EB1 BD-RE for flexability ?

Actually I don't need a Bluray burner but the price difference between a pure playback PC Bluray/DVD drive and a Bluray burner is very little.

Ocay, so m2ts is a file alternative to FLAC. Can MakeMKV also generate m2ts from a Bluray disc ?

Reply #6
Yes MakeMKV can rip ISO files. I personally wouldn't go down the m2ts route due to compatibility with other software.

This is the steps I would take.

1. Load up the disc or ISO in MakeMKV and choose the FLAC profile.
2. Choose the lossless audio track you want, keep the chapters and unselect everything else.
3. Rip the disc\ISO.
4. Open up the ripped mkv in Foobar2000 and then select all the imported tracks (it should show you the MKV file broken up in chapters) and then convert to individual FLAC files.
5. Grab some album art and tag the individual FLAC files.

Doing it this way will give you files that will work with any media player that fully supports FLAC.

Reply #7
AudioMuxer can do something similar, it uses it's own version of eac3to.
The BD should be ripped to files (or the ISO mounted). It might take some trial and error to figure this tool out.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #8
Thanks to all of you - I'll report back here as I progress (need to buy the DVD burner now) - please keep posting here with good idears  8)

Reply #9
Does it make any difference copy protection wise if I buy an internal PC Bluray burner or an external PC Bluray burner with USB connection ? I'm' thinking LG BH16NS40 or LiteOn EB1 BD-RE for flexability ?
No.   FYI - The selection of internal Blu-Ray burners for laptops is very limited.

Reply #10
I had some audio blu-ray discs and I strongly discourage the use of ISO or M2TS. Several Audio BRD have redundant tracks: PCM audio + True HD + DTS-HD of the same stereo mix. Example: Nirvana Nevermind. BRD is ~10 GB, and the FLAC version is only 1 GB.
As suggested by A_Man_Eating_Duck, I recommand MakeMKV and then MKVToolNix. But you can also directly put the mkv file in foobar2000 and use the converter to directly get separate flac file. And if you like the "ISO" concept (single file with virtual separate tracks in audio player and even different streams like 2.0 and 5.1) you can simply keep the mka file produced by mkvtoolnix: it works like an ISO file (you can switch audio streams within foobar2000).

I have no idea how you can rip BRD directly from the DVD Player. I didn't know that USB-boot key exist for ripping SACD (I was aware of the PS3 method and some compatible Blu-Ray players). That sounds interesting!

Reply #11
Thanks for your post, guruboolez  ;)
I'll try out your MKV recommendations.
I'm fine with a big container file for tracks as I mostly listen to classical music and usually it makes no sense to separate tracks as such, but it is important that I can easily identify the single track by name or at least number among all the other: like the ISODSD file setup allow in Foobar2000.
I found my SACD ripping method in this forum/string
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/28569-sacd-ripping-using-an-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true/
The USB-boot key contains Linus boot and control files as all the appropriate Bluray players models all use Control Intel Arm processors gen. 6 or 7. It is possible to download these Arm processor specific Linux filers from users in this forum. Booting up with these files enabled the pc software: ISODSD, to take control of the operations in the Bluray player, thus transfering DSD files to the Harddisk.

Reply #12
I bought Hitachi LG PB55EB40 Slim Portable Bluray- / DVD-writer…...it does fine ripping Blyrays using MakeMKV. Creating one big file ! Converting into tracks I did this; Audacity does not take any MKF-files, but if I convert into the FLAC-format it's a different story:  Converting with the program: Total Audio MP3 Converter; output > 96000 KHz / Compression Level: 0.
It opens into Audacity as one big file and splitting into tracks is just: Chose the Marker tool in the graphic top menu and mark with the curser and press 'Ctrl + B' and name the track-start. Move the curser to the next space between tracks and so forth. When all are marked you chose Export > More ...and FLAC file format Level 8 (best sound) and 24 bit. Do the files (add Meta-data if you like) one by one and it is all done. Sounds great with Foobar2000.  8)

Does anyone know anything about the quality of the Total Audio MP3 Converter program ?  What are the best program for (most quality levels) mkv-file convert to FLAC format ?

Reply #13
If you load the big MKV in to Foobar2000 (just drag and drop it in) it should already show the chapters. You might need to edit the chapter names in Foobar2000 if they all display the same name. From there select all the chapters and then convert in to FLAC and it should come out as separate files.

You can install the encoder pack for Foobar2000 and use it for converting FLAC to MP3.

Reply #14
Thanks for the lead…..I can see it works well - it does show the tracks in the big file but I need to be able to name the tracks somehow. How do I do that in FooBar2000 ? Or can it be done in another program and them used again for playback in Foobar2000 ?

Reply #15
You can right click on a chapter > properties and then add artist, track details and tracknumber. You can also select all the chapters, right click properties and then right click on track number and use auto fill to auto number them all in one go.

Reply #16
Is there still no way to do this? I don't understand why I can play any type of file with foobar except for BR-A, which I have to use mpc?

Reply #17
When it comes to blu-ray you have to separate the data from the disk.

Use a program like DVDFab to make an ISO, then unpack the ISO using 7-Zip,
then use a program like DVD Audio Extractor on the unpacked ISO... then you're done.

Easy-Peasy. 🙂
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #18
When I was copying my Blu-rays to disc, I used MakeMKV to copy the iso to disk, then used txMuxer to get the chapter info with the streams I wanted from the iso.