Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to clean in-ear headphones? (Read 48891 times) previous topic - next topic

How to clean in-ear headphones?

Hello

I was just ill in a rather nasty cold and used my in-ear headphones during that time. The model is Sennheiser CX-300.

Now, my left ear bud seems to have become clogged with, ahum, ear wax and I'm now wondering how I can clean it?
I'm thinking dipping it in alcohol because of the electronics inside.

The sound is much damper in the left compared to the right and I switched them to make sure it wasn't my ear that was screwed.

Any suggestions?

Reply #1
Have you tried an old tooth brush and the good old fashioned blowing?

Reply #2
this was the main turn off for me from in ear

i usually just wiped them off and made sure to clean my ears every day when i was using them
My $.02, may not be in the right currency

Reply #3
Where is the "filth" and what is the consistency of the filth?
If you have very soft earwax (as I do), freezing the item may very well facilitate the removal of filth which would otherwise simply smear.
If the wax is in the tubes and not just on it, you really need to start using some filter screens (or changing screens more often).
Creature of habit.

Reply #4
Hello

I was just ill in a rather nasty cold and used my in-ear headphones during that time. The model is Sennheiser CX-300.

Now, my left ear bud seems to have become clogged with, ahum, ear wax and I'm now wondering how I can clean it?
I'm thinking dipping it in alcohol because of the electronics inside.

The sound is much damper in the left compared to the right and I switched them to make sure it wasn't my ear that was screwed.

Any suggestions?

The CX 300/EP630 can easily be opened without damage. take a sharp knife and push the metal-ring from the shell. It is fixed with some viscous glue and will be tight again when you've reassembled it. Now you can take the tube of the shell and safely clean it.

Here you'll find some images to guide you.

Reply #6
I would strenuously suggest you avoid alcohol with these headphones.  If they are anything like the in-ear Sennheiser's I just destroyed, the alcohol will wreak havoc with the softer plastics.