Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New to resampling. Need help with sox and foo_dsp_resampler (Read 4367 times) previous topic - next topic

New to resampling. Need help with sox and foo_dsp_resampler

Hello everybody, I'm new to the downsample thing and been reading all your posts. I downloaded the foobar plugin and Sox to try both with the same file and then bit compare the downsampled files in foobar. However two things called my attention: 1 when I downsampled with foobar the bit depth came down from 24 to 16 as expected but the file remains at 96hz. 2 The Sox.exe was intalled but when I hit the icon it doesn't open, only a DOS black window pops up and dissapears immediately.

As far I followed this topic, there should be no difference in the output files downsample by either foobar plugin or Sox, right?

My main concerns are the 2496 Lampinski tapes and some vinyls at 24-96 and 24-192.

Am I taking the correct path?

Thanks everyone, you're wonderful.

Reply #1
Hello everybody, I'm new to the downsample thing and been reading all your posts. I downloaded the foobar plugin and Sox to try both with the same file and then bit compare the downsampled files in foobar. However two things called my attention: 1 when I downsampled with foobar the bit depth came down from 24 to 16 as expected but the file remains at 96hz.

It sounds like you didn't enable resampling in foobar.

2 The Sox.exe was intalled but when I hit the icon it doesn't open, only a DOS black window pops up and dissapears immediately.

sox.exe is a command line program.  You run it from the command line, not by clicking on it.  If you're not familiar with the command line, just use foobar or get a GUI front end for SOX (i believe foobar can be configured to use sox as well).

Reply #2
What? downsample and resample are two diff things? This is the plugin I used:
foo_dsp_resampler

I installed it the same way I did with others in the preference section: The file was reduced in size and bit depth but foobar still indicates 96hz on the left botom. Perhaps That's the way it is? Or is it that I have to enable something else?

As for the Sox.exe, yes I have no idea how to use a command line program.
Thanks

Reply #3
I installed it the same way I did with others in the preference section: The file was reduced in size and bit depth but foobar still indicates 96hz on the left botom. Perhaps That's the way it is? Or is it that I have to enable something else?

If the sampling rate doesn't change its not enabled.  I assume you added it to the active DSP list and set the desired sampling rate to whatever you wanted?

As for the Sox.exe, yes I have no idea how to use a command line program.

Then I would stick to using graphical programs like foobar2000. 

Reply #4
Allright saratoga, got it right now: the new file is undenyably14-44. Any recomendation for the resampler settings?: Quality, Passband, Allow aliasing/imaging, Phase respone...

Reply #7
bit compare the downsampled files in foobar

What do you hope to gain by this?

Hello, in case I could use both options the foobar plugin and Sox, compare if the result is the same... apparently I am a bit anive. All the same I do not know how to use Sox.

Reply #8
Due to the nature of the applied dither the resulting file will always different. This means even with the same software and settings the result will diffent.
Bit compare will you show that the files are different.
.halverhahn

Reply #9
The "Secret Rabbit Code" is a very good quality resampler and is completely Free Software (licensed as GPL). On the webpage you can found a plugin to mass convert files using foobar2000.

I guess you didn't see the link to this that shows why you can't use that anymore with fb2k?

SoX wipes the floor with SRC, and has done so for awhile now. Use that with fb2k, and you're golden.
ghostman

Reply #10
Author of SSRC is right, using his library in non-gpl project is against his chosen license.

Reply #11
Hi there it's one of my paranoignorant questions. I'm using the Sox plugin for foobar and read that downsampling from 24 96 to 16 44 for common mundane purposes the deafult settings are allright, however I couldn't stop wondering about the ''Don't reset DSP between tracks - slow, needed for crossfading etc. box.

Should I tick or not? Thanks for your help.