Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sorting by genre (Read 3378 times) previous topic - next topic

Sorting by genre

I enjoy tagging my collection very specifically. This often for me means utilizing the multi-variable nature of the genre field. However this brings up a slight problem when I try and sort my library by genre and view it in say, Album List panel.

My questions is as follows:

Currently, if an artist's genre field says something like "Alternative Rock; Hardcore; Post-rock" then it will show up as such in genre view. As in I will have a separate entry for "Alternative Rock; Hardcore; Post-rock." What I'd really love is if there was no seperate entry. As in, this artists work will appear under separate entries for Alternative Rock, Hardcore, and Post-rock, rather than one lump entry.

No idea if this is possible in some way or another, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

EDIT: Realized that this debatably doesn't go in Third Party Components depending on the answers I get. My apologies. Please move this if I posted it wrong.

Sorting by genre

Reply #1
Select all files with multiple genres, rightclick, properties, rightclick the genre field and choose Split Values. This will split genres up.

In album list (preferences > media library > album list) make sure genre is written as %<genre>%. The < > will split up multivalue fields. If you remove the <> it will show multivalues as one entry with all values.

If this isn't working, you have to add genre to a multiple value like this

Preferences > Advanced > Display > Properties Dialog > Multivalue fields and add genre like this at the end: ARTIST;ALBUM ARTIST;PRODUCER;COMPOSER;PERFORMER;GENRE

Sorting by genre

Reply #2
Select all files with multiple genres, rightclick, properties, rightclick the genre field and choose Split Values. This will split genres up.

In album list (preferences > media library > album list) make sure genre is written as %<genre>%. The < > will split up multivalue fields. If you remove the <> it will show multivalues as one entry with all values.

If this isn't working, you have to add genre to a multiple value like this

Preferences > Advanced > Display > Properties Dialog > Multivalue fields and add genre like this at the end: ARTIST;ALBUM ARTIST;PRODUCER;COMPOSER;PERFORMER;GENRE

Fantastic. That worked perfectly. One more side question that I doubt will get answered. Is there a way to do this in the graphical browser component? I have it set up with a genre view, but it doesn't seem to like the %<genre>% tag.