Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New VST adapter for foobar2000 (Read 34074 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New VST adapter for foobar2000

Reply #75
I tried running IK Multimedia ARC2 (VST2) and iZotope Vinyl (VST3) and that works as intended. (Other than Vinyl bypass not working, but that's known by Peter alreaady)
DotNoir, this is with 0.11.1 not 0.11, right?  I had a typo in my original quoted post, now corrected.  Did you test with FB 1.6.16 or with v2?  I haven't bothered testing with v2 until we get a beta that includes the option to not use the new DSP flush, as exists in 1.6.16.

Reply #76
I tried running IK Multimedia ARC2 (VST2) and iZotope Vinyl (VST3) and that works as intended. (Other than Vinyl bypass not working, but that's known by Peter alreaady)
DotNoir, this is with 0.11.1 not 0.11, right?  I had a typo in my original quoted post, now corrected.  Did you test with FB 1.6.16 or with v2?  I haven't bothered testing with v2 until we get a beta that includes the option to not use the new DSP flush, as exists in 1.6.16.

Yes, this was with v2 beta 23 x64. And the latest 0.11.1. VST plugin.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Reply #77
Just updated to v2 64-bit beta 24 and vst adapter .11.4.  Is there any way to fix these anomalies in two VSTs that the adapter mistakenly interprets as not being compatible with a regular stero input?

1.  Unlimited64.dll-- produces the playback error "VST refused audio stream format - got: 2ch, VST wants: 6ch".  While the VST does also accept 5.1 input by design, it's not at the exclusion of normal stereo input, and works fine with that on other players.  I have tried changing the "Override output channels" setting on the adapter from stereo to 5.1 or 5.1 (side) and get the same error.  Same issue affects the 32-bit version of the plugin (Unlimited.dll).

2.  Wider.vst3 (and the 32-bit version)-- produces the result of completely losing the right audio channel.  While this VST is designed to work with Mono or Stereo inputs, it seems the adapter is defaulting it to one channel.

Note:  while issue #1 has been present with each version of the adapter through .11.4, issue #2 does not exist in the .9 or .10.1 versions.

Thanks for any help you can give on these.

Reply #78
Channel count issues should be fixed in 0.11.5, thanks for reporting.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #80
The VST adapter is working very well (v 0.11.5., in 2.0 beta 23). I also discovered that you've added the VST visualizations enabling having panels open outside of the DSP manager. Very impressive progression in such a short time. Also I discovered that more advanced VST-plugin functionality that wasn't working previously now works. Thank you!!

I still have a lot to learn how Foobar2000 works. Could an active DSP, running in the VST adpater, be placed in the DSP chain presets? I'm assuming the DSP chain presets would be loaded at start up.

Reply #81
Channel count issues should be fixed in 0.11.5, thanks for reporting.
Thanks Peter, the fix worked perfectly for those VSTs!!  I'm so glad about those I hesitate to mention this, but I noticed one regression affecting GUI-less VST2's--they no longer show a numerical value under the adjustment sliders interface, making them difficult to use.  This was lost somewhere between 0.10.1 and 0.11.5.  As I only have one VST in that category (Wider64.dll byairwindows), it's hard to know if the regression affected all others of this type or just this example.

Reply #82
Version 0.11.6 out, slider labels fixed, thanks for reporting.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #83
Does this VST dsp work with more than stereo?
Should work. Do you know any specific VSTs that fail?

I tested  two upmix VSTs and while the gui of the VSTs shows that they work only the left and right channel is in the output.

Hello,

Same here. No signal from rear, center and LFE channels of (at least one) 5.1 upmix VST with no error reported. Upmix VST was working fine with old VST component. (Foobar 1.6.16 and VST component 0.11.7). Thanks for your work BTW.

Cheers.

Reply #84
Same here. No signal from rear, center and LFE channels of (at least one) 5.1 upmix VST with no error reported. Upmix VST was working fine with old VST component. (Foobar 1.6.16 and VST component 0.11.7). Thanks for your work BTW.
Are you talking about the stock Foobar DSP "Upmix to 5.1"?  That's not a "VST" nor is it related to the new VST adapter.  Needs to be moved to a separate topic if so.

Reply #85
Are you talking about the stock Foobar DSP "Upmix to 5.1"?  That's not a "VST" nor is it related to the new VST adapter.  Needs to be moved to a separate topic if so.
I am using foobar for years and I know what is a VST plugin and what is not...

Reply #86
Whoa, OK, just trying to get the picture straight.  I'm sure it would help Peter to know the name/company of the specific plugin you mention that isn't functioning correctly with the 0.11.7 VST adapter.

Reply #87
Whoa, OK, just trying to get the picture straight.  I'm sure it would help Peter to know the name/company of the specific plugin you mention that isn't functioning correctly with the 0.11.7 VST adapter.

Hello,

@sveakul: I just realized that my answer was a bit harsh. Sorry for that: it was not my intention. I am using an old VST2x86 plugin (DTS Neural Upmix from 2010, I think), but it is working fine with the old VST2 component. The DSP chain is: DTS neural upmix followed by Isone Pro Surround 5.1 from Jeroen Breebaart for headphone listening (another VST2x86 plugin).
In Isone Pro GUI, each single channel can be heard separately: all surround channels stay silent.
I also checked that Isone Pro is working fine with foobar component "upmix to 5.1": so the problem comes from the upmix plugin.
In DTSNeural Upmix, there is also a strange behaviour. Each channel can also be heared separately trough DTS GUI: however, checking each channel one by one does not change anything: it is always the stereo output that is heard.
With the old VST component, all is working as it should.
I can help by checking new test versions of the VST adapter, if you want.

Cheers

Reply #88
Sorry for interrupting your bug reports.
I just would like to thank Peter for this great addition. Yeong VST still worked but touching the pull-down menu "view" crashed foobar. This new component (v0.11.7) works great for me so far. I am using a free tape-emulation plugin. IMHO this outperforms even expensive tape-emu plugins. Maybe it is just a perfect match to my ears, I don't know - but I would recommend it for all people to have a try:
https://senderspike.wordpress.com/2019/11/12/downloads/
I mean the SN03/SN03 Tape Recorder Plugin v1.31. I do have a hi-fi system where highs are a bit harsh. Others my say they are very precise but it is too much for my ears. I never managed to get the right setting to smoothen it out with an EQ plugin. This one magically does it. I just reduce Hi's and augment Lo's slightly.

Reply #89
I'm trying this new VST host, and noticed the VST plugin display update is very sluggish.

I am trying this plugin: https://www.bestfreeplugins.com/download.php?p=Gonio3

foobar2000 v1.6.16 with foo_dsp_vst3 v0.11.7

Reply #90
Does this VST dsp work with more than stereo?
Should work. Do you know any specific VSTs that fail?

I tested  two upmix VSTs and while the gui of the VSTs shows that they work only the left and right channel is in the output.

Hello,

Cheers.

Hello,

I have found a solution to this problem: I just put "channel mixer" component before calling the VST upmixer to create 6 channels (output: 6 channels; upmix mode: copy with LFE, Center and Rear channels to 0) and it worked as it should. It seems that VST upmixers do not work properly with VST adapter 0.11.7 if the 6 channels (for 5.1 upmix) do not exist in the DSP chain before calling the VST. This channel creation should be implemented in the VST adapter itself to avoid the use of channel mixer.

Cheers

Reply #91
foobar2000 v1.6.16 (upgraded from v1.6.12) with foo_dsp_vst3 v0.11.7

Audeze Reveal VST3 Legacy plugin (VST3 32 and 64-bit): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EvQPdEHVtYNrKP19-JvyMIZA4MYoUjjg

Sound disappears on the first seek until the track is changed (or active DSP chain is updated in any way).

Reply #92
Currently, after closing VST settings window, the only way to open it again is to close VST adapter window and then open it again. Possibility to reopen VST settings  window without to need to close and open VST adapter itself would be nice.

Reply #93
At last! A properly made replacement for my old adapter. Nice! I'm putting up a deprecation banner in that thread.

Reply #94
foobar2000 v2.0 beta 24 + foo_dsp_vst3 v0.11.8 (x86)
FabFilter Pro-Q 3 VST3 32-bit

Im apology for my english.
FabFilter stop working when I move forward audio track with seekbar.
If stop and play again or I change track, FabFilter work again.

Reply #95
Sorry for the dumb question, but...

Is here a way to get the "Active DSPs" list to show under the "View>DPS" menu item?

Thanks!

Reply #96
Tried the new VST plugin last night. Unfortunately it seems it only works through the standard foobar2000 playback / DSP menu and not when you use the "UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point" component (old, I know, but the only one we have), through it's DSP menu. Is there a reason? Can this be fixed?

Reply #97
foobar2000 v2.0 beta 24 + foo_dsp_vst3 v0.11.8 (x86)
FabFilter Pro-Q 3 VST3 32-bit

Im apology for my english.
FabFilter stop working when I move forward audio track with seekbar.
If stop and play again or I change track, FabFilter work again.
Whoa, just noticed this bug myself!  And it's been there since at least 0.11.7, presents on any fixed file when the VST is part of the DSP chain.  Playback starts with VST effects active, but as soon as the seek bar is moved, the effect stops working.  Stopping and re-play or changing tracks re-engages the effect, as foo2k_bls describes.  Would have noticed it earlier if I hadn't spent 90% of my Foobar use on radio streams.  Affects both 1.6.16 and v2 64-bit beta 25.

Reply #98
Tried the new VST plugin last night. Unfortunately it seems it only works through the standard foobar2000 playback / DSP menu and not when you use the "UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point" component (old, I know, but the only one we have), through it's DSP menu. Is there a reason? Can this be fixed?

I forgot to say: The plugin searches for VSTs but never stops to do so and never finds any.

Reply #99
Thanks a lot for the new plugin, Peter. I would like to suggest a few improvements:

1) Add the ability to create a mapping of outgoing channels to the user himself with the ability to redirect, since many multi-channel vst plugins do not use standard channel layouts. Also, Windows has a maximum of 18 channels, but some VST plugins support more.

2) Add a limit to the input channels on which the effect will work. For example, if the playlist contains tracks 2.0 and 5.1 at the same time, and the effect is set to Upmix 2.0->7.1, then track 5.1 should not be processed by this effect. Similarly for 5.1->9.2 it should only work for tracks with 6 channels.