Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What brand of CD-R's have burnt fine but died after time without any physical damage (scratches etc.) or extreme exposure to sunlight, heat etc. ?

Taiyo Yuden
[ 13 ] (5%)
Kodak
[ 11 ] (4.2%)
Ritek
[ 17 ] (6.5%)
Mitsubishi
[ 5 ] (1.9%)
Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals
[ 10 ] (3.8%)
TDK
[ 28 ] (10.7%)
Sony
[ 28 ] (10.7%)
Princo
[ 39 ] (14.9%)
CMC Magnetics
[ 62 ] (23.7%)
Other (please post)
[ 49 ] (18.7%)

Total Members Voted: 999

Topic: R.I.P. (Read 218656 times) previous topic - next topic

R.I.P.

Reply #125
I recommend not to buy "Gut&Günstig"-CDRs. Gut&Günstig is a cheap brand in some german supermarkets like Edeka. I just bought a pack, kprobe reported the manufacturer as "Moser Baer India limited". I burned two of them on two different drives, and read them back. Both showed C2 errors. When I tried reading one CD in the other drive, it had trouble reading the CD at all. C1 error count was around 8.5 average (Ritek gives an average of ~1.0).

To the TY discussion: I have two old Tayo Yuden CDRs, (both around 10 years old), and both have lower C1 error count than most of the Riteks I burned last week.

Edit: I found out it probably wasn't a problem with the media but with the second drive that gave trouble when reading these CDs. The error counts stand though.

R.I.P.

Reply #126
IPC, is a brand made in Argentina. No wonder

R.I.P.

Reply #127
I recommend not to buy SKY Recordable Discs.. I used to use them for digital audio storage about 2 years ago. I couldn't read them any more even a few weeks after burning. I can't find out who's the manufactor for them, because my drives don't notice a disc in drive.

It's Sky DVD+r (blank Disc with blue script and blue inner circle) and CD-R.

R.I.P.

Reply #128
Unfortunately, I clicked on "Other" before I downloaded the Nero Cd tool, and realized that my "Dysan's" were actually Ritek's. Fortunately, I only bought one 10-pack, of which maybe 2 still work.

On a related note, I've had real bad luck with Office Depot branded CD's. They show up under Nero as "unknown". After a fairly short time, (maybe a year), the entire data coating will flake off. You can hold the data medium in one hand and a clear plastic disc in the other. Amazing.

R.I.P.

Reply #129
haha i've always knew office place and staples had shit quality media, at least recently. so shit that even the manufacturer wants to remain anonymous.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

R.I.P.

Reply #130
On a related note, I've had real bad luck with Office Depot branded CD's. They show up under Nero as "unknown". After a fairly short time, (maybe a year), the entire data coating will flake off. You can hold the data medium in one hand and a clear plastic disc in the other. Amazing.

I've used Office Max branded Moser Baer DVD+R that consistantly give quality scores of 98 in CDSpeed.  Also, i picked up some Office Depot (Ritek D01) DVD+R Dual Layer that is giving QS scores of 95.  I've also got decent quality CDR's for Office Max and Staples.  Store branded media is not always bad, you just have to know what to look for.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

R.I.P.

Reply #131
Sony and Memorex CD-Rs have been nothing but trouble for me.  Always get errors and skips with those.  Never had a problem with TDKs.

Re: R.I.P.

Reply #132
A number of companies used to make (probably some still do) "archival" CD-Rs that were gold and supposed to last for 100 years.

Anyone ever use these?  Were they worth the extra money?

Reply #133
A number of companies used to make (probably some still do) "archival" CD-Rs that were gold and supposed to last for 100 years.
If you mean these ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Yes, I've used them, and yes, they are more durable, however, they never really caught on and the drives and media are more expensive and hard to source.  I'd say unless you need to use an optical drive in a harsh environment for extended periods or you're storing important and static data for archival purposes, they're probably not worth the trouble.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #134
I've CD's burned twenty years ago that are fine. Sony, "Staples," Memorex brands. I keep them on the same spindles I bought them with, I know they are fine, as I recently went through the oldest ones looking for backups of some music I had deleted long ago. I use Verbatim these days, as they are easiest to order online.

I suspect these things will be viable long after I'm gone, and that we make too much of this. However, I would not be surprised to find recorded music discs that are kept in a car for extended periods go bad.

Reply #135
I remember having huge problems with department store CD-Rs some of them started oxidizing from the center outwards, other had a very bad dye, or something. Something like 40% of them either didn't want to burn, or after a while, the CD was just plainly unreadable.
What kind of actual manufacturer that was, I don't know, but the CD-Rs sold at grocery or dempartment stores were the worst.
I remember them using anyway, because back then we used CD-Rs to just transfer files between computers. If a CD-R could hold up for a couple days or weeks even, that was usually more than enough.
Most CD-Rs perished during the burn process, though.
They also seemed to dislike anything but the most ideal environments. having them in the car over winter killed a surprising amount of those.