Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What sound effects this speech contains? (Read 1022 times) previous topic - next topic

What sound effects this speech contains?

Hello

I am trying to make new co-driver voices to Richard Burns Rally -game, but I don't know how to re-produce the original sound effect(s).

The main problem is overall sound volume.
I can't hear my new sounds underneath everything else (car engine, tires, skid sounds, ...).

Of course, I can boost the volume, but there isn't much headroom if I don't want clipping (-3dBFS).
Game's original voices are clipped and I probably has to clip my files too, but when I tried that, the results are bad.

My new speech voices are downloaded from lovo.ai (text-to-speech generator) and the gender is female.
Game's original voices are male, but I don't think that matters.

I have tried high/lowpass filters, distorsion and compression.
Non of them seems to work.
It might be some kind of custom walkie-talkie -effect?

When I look spectrogram of the original files, these's seems to have much more "power" compared to my new voices.
But I'm not an expert of spectrogram's.

My tools are sox.exe and audacity.exe.
Sox.exe is better, because .cmd's are faster.

Any help?

Re: What sound effects this speech contains?

Reply #1
Walkie-talkie effect in digital would be mostly bit-depth reduction (MUCH less than 8 bits) which also means clipping distortion and dynamics compression (gate might be worthwhile to remove noise between words), plus resampling as low as 8kHz.

Reply #2
This make it sound fairly similar:
Code: [Select]
sox custom.wav out.wav \
    rate 11025 \
    bass -40 150 bass -5 800 \
    treble 15 1000 \
    equalizer 1500 1000h 10 \
    equalizer 2900 800h -10 \
    contrast 100

Reply #3
@danadam
Thank you very much.
It's close enough (vs original) and now I can distinguish the words.
Maybe little bit more volume, but I know how to do that.
Thanks again.