Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Totally disable volume funktion to save cpu and memory resources (Read 1915 times) previous topic - next topic

Totally disable volume funktion to save cpu and memory resources

I am a ulta audiophile and love foobar2000 as a Playback Program.
When Listening with my laptop i use a heavenly tweaked 2008r2 server operating system with only 14 tasks and 5 services running during playback. CPU core and priority are adjusted for every driver and task.
All foobar200 plugins are removed from Foobar. All visual effects are disabled. The sound quality is extremely good.

But to my surprise i notice that changing the volume step settings from 1.0 dB to 5.0 dB in preferences has a tremendous impact on sound quality. So maybe sound quality can even be improved if there was a way to remove all of the volume processing from foobar.

So can volume processing be totally removed out of foobar2000 1.6.7 ???

Re: Totally disable volume funktion to save cpu and memory resources

Reply #1
XD wtf Can you probe in any way that the output due to volume changes is worse in an objective way?

i.e. recording the output at some foobar volume leves, matching levels on an audio editor, and then either performing listening texts ABX and/or performing a spectral analysis to demonstrate there is any change at all...

Without all that, this is nonsense... and claiming such things is forbidden in this forum. https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,3974.html#post_tos8
You can use Asio and level at 100%. It's bit-perfect. But claiming volume levels affect sound is nonsense on current software/hardware.

Other thing is you perceiving sound differences due to volume levels  ::)  ::)
https://ledgernote.com/columns/mixing-mastering/fletcher-munson-curve/

Reply #2
Maybe i was not clear enough. The Volume slider in Foobar2000 is set to 100% 0.0dB.
Then it`'s removed out of the GUI.
But to my surprise i notice that changing the volume step settings from 1.0 dB to 5.0 dB in preferences has a tremendous impact on sound quality.

Reply #3
But to my surprise i notice that changing the volume step settings from 1.0 dB to 5.0 dB in preferences has a tremendous impact on sound quality.
It's just your imagination.

Reply #4
I'm sure it's not. I probably have one of the most solving systems in germany.
Here is a review that one of the most respected experts in the German instrumentation business has made of my system.
https://www.gecom-technologies.com/blog/?p=2568

Reply #5
As I told u, prove it. Record the output at different levels, match volume, and give evidence. Told u this is non sense.

You talk about testing systems; we don't like magic, prove it.

Reply #6
This is a really lovely onboarding to your forum.  :'(
I'm not offending anyone just asking a simple question. why are you attacking me so rude.
I just want to know if it's possible to Totally disable volume funktion to save cpu and memory resources.

Reply #7
Again, your report is against the forum rules. You can not claim sound being affected by volume levels, without ABX or evidence, and expect other answer.

You are reporting something which is either impossible or a bug. You will not get any more answers about your question unless you prove your statements. Record your output, match levels and prove it.

There is only 2 possibilities, so if it's a bug it will be fixed for everybody -not just for u-. Otherwise you will learn something new.

Reply #8
If your volume is set to 100% there is no volume processing so nothing to "remove" or "disable".
Again, at 100% volume this setting does nothing so this is nonsense.

Reply #9
I'm Talking about "Preferences / Advanced / Volume Step "  !!!  1 vs 5 dB
Not volume levels !!!

Reply #11
Not volume levels !!!
Doesn't matter it's completely rubbish, what you claim.

Reply #12
Not volume levels !!!
If you change, for example, the MMCSS mode: Playback, Audio, or Pro Audio (now my favorite), the sound does change, but it doesn't when changing the Volume step, even audibly. To calm yourself down, you can do dB: <empty> :)

Reply #13
Not volume levels !!!
That option only controls how much the volume is changed when you use the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons. It shouldn't affect the audio output in any way.

*Edit*
Out of curiosity, I changed it from what I normally have it set to (0.5dB steps) to 5.0dB steps and I couldn't discern any difference.
Think millionaire, but with cannons.

Reply #14
If you change, for example, the MMCSS mode: Playback, Audio, or Pro Audio (now my favorite), the sound does change, but it doesn't when changing the Volume step, even audibly. To calm yourself down, you can do dB: <empty> :)
If you don't have any playback glitches (pops, clicks, stutters) with MMCSS audio setting it to Pro Audio isn't going to change the sound. It's sort of like saying that having a 1 second buffer has a different sound to a 5 second buffer.

Case explains it here.
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,101368.msg837488.html#msg837488

Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #15
When Listening with my laptop

Nooo... you need server grade hardware with ECC memory because cosmic rays can cause bit flips so your audio is not going to be bit perfect... :(
gold plated toslink fan