Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can not access my music files on Synology NAS from Fb2K on android  (Read 2002 times) previous topic - next topic

Can not access my music files on Synology NAS from Fb2K on android

Hi
I can not add location to Synology NAS in media library.
Location of fles I want to access on my local network:

http://192.168.1.1/music

When I add this location I get back error message:

FOLDER: http://192.168.1.1/music/ CANNOT BE ACCESSED, REASON: OBJECT NOT FOUND

The access to NAS needs credentials and there's nowhere to put them in. I think that might be the issue.

How can I enter my login & password so Foobar would access the files on the NAS?

It works on my desktop version of Foobar on my Windows PC

Re: Can not access my music files on Synology NAS from Fb2K on android

Reply #1
You're relying on the version of Android your phone/tablet provider has pre-configured as providing file system access via SMB/NFS by default.  I'm not at all sure Android has that capability.  Whenever I want to access NAS I have to use a third party file manager app to do it, and transfer files from the NAS into the phone local storage for other apps to be able to see it.

In short, the browser in the mobile Android version of FB2K will be limited to local storage unless the FB2K app has SMB/NFS capability built in, which would not be necessary on the Windows desktop and therefore seems unlikely.

Even if SMB/NFS browsing was available, you would not use HTTP to access it.  HTTP is for web pages.  The URL would need to start (eg) smb://192...
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #2
I tired before to acces it using smb://192.168.1.1/music but it doesn't look like Foobar is using it as the ADD and TEST buttons stay greyed out and I cannot confirm adding my path.
From what I've tested http://192.168.1.1/music at least let me try and add/test the path but it still fails getting acces to files and adding to my library.
When I acces those files via other app like X-PLORE it uses SMBv2 and that works fine (I can also enter login & password) but I'd rather use Foobar for listening to my music.
Of course I can still use the dedicated app from Synology but as I've mentioned, I'd rather use Fb2K.

I think the problem might be that there is nowhere to add my credentials so Foobar would get access to the Synology, which is strange. It looks like the developers didn't take into consideration that most network locations require to log in to access files.

Reply #3
From what I've tested http://192.168.1.1/music at least let me try and add/test the path but it still fails getting acces to files and adding to my library.
Sure, I guess because the FB2K app has HTTP protocol built in or Android makes HTTP available to apps.  HTTP is not a file access protocol and requires a HTTP server at the other end (ie a web server).

When I acces those files via other app like X-PLORE it uses SMBv2 and that works fine (I can also enter login & password) but I'd rather use Foobar for listening to my music.
That will be because your X-PLORE app implements SMB itself, like I said about file manager apps in general.

I think the problem might be that there is nowhere to add my credentials so Foobar would get access to the Synology, which is strange. It looks like the developers didn't take into consideration that most network locations require to log in to access files.
That's not it at all.  Like I said, if the FB2K app doesn't have SMB capability built in, it can't use SMB to access files.

Reply #4
Thanks. It looks like there is no way to use Foobar for playing music from my NAS.
Hopefully there are plans to implement SMB in the future.

Just one more question. If HTTP protocol can't be used for accessing media files like music, why is it as an option? Obviously I don't want to load a website so why to have it as an option?

Once again, thanks for answering my questions and explaining it to me.

Reply #5
Does your NAS have DLNA enabled? Or some other network media sharing service like Asset? Foobar can use that service to access you music files.

Reply #6
Just one more question. If HTTP protocol can't be used for accessing media files like music, why is it as an option? Obviously I don't want to load a website so why to have it as an option?
Because FB2K is capable of streaming audio from Internet sources.

As per the post above, DLNA is a possible alternative and NAS units often have DLNA built in.

Hopefully there are plans to implement SMB in the future.
Add it to the Wishlist Thread.

Reply #7
Thanks. It looks like there is no way to use Foobar for playing music from my NAS.
foobar2000 mobile has FTP support, which your Synology NAS should have as well.